TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Should we have rent regulations in T&T?

Yes! Dem landlords advantageous!
47%
No! Government to boldface. Rent is the landlord-tenant business!
32%
Maybe... focus on protective legal frameworks only. Leave price between landlord & tenant.
21%

Total votes: 38

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby The_Honourable » February 20th, 2020, 7:05 pm

MP: Rent in T&T too high

The rental rates in the private sector are simply too high which is why many people turn to the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) for housing.

This is according to D'Abadie/O'Meara MP Ancil Antoine as he spoke during a Joint Select Committee meeting on rent regulation.

Antoine said many citizens are battling with "exorbitant" rents in the private sector, with some paying more than half their monthly salaries to landlords.

"The fact of the matter is there are a lot of citizens, a lot of my constituents, who are paying exorbitant rent," he said.

"Some people with an income of $6000 or $7000 paying $3000 and $4000 in rent."

Antoine said rental rates are lower under the HDC so it is more beneficial for citizens to rent HDC properties. He said HDC should have a policy to build housing specifically for rent and not only for mortgage.

However HDC Managing Director Brent Lyons said the HDC has contractors to pay and cannot do so in a timely manner if properties are rented.

"When we construct the houses, we have to pay the contractor. In a rental arrangement it is unlikely to recover what you put out in any short time. So we have been doing a lot of mortgages so we can pay for the construction that we've done and get some funding to continue other construction."

He said the HDC does however provide rental housing.

Over the past 18 months, the HDC would have allocated around 4000 homes and some 1200 of those were rental properties, he noted.

"In as much as we would like to provide housing for every citizen, we are just unable to. In addition, our financial circumstance is that we can't afford to...Whilst we would like to, it is extremely difficult to say that we are going to be building specifically for rental."

Lyons added that rental tenants currently owe the HDC some $45 million as many have defaulted on their payments.

He said there is a 44 percent default rate which is much higher than in the private sector.

Despite this, the HDC hasn't evicted anyone and is offering payment plans to help tenants clear their debt.

Asked about the sta­tus of the Rent As­sess­ment Board (RAB), Hous­ing Min­istry le­gal rep­re­sen­ta­tive Alvin Pas­call said there is no current framework to regulate rentals.

But he agreed there’s a need for such a regulatory framework.

Pascall however said the private sector would have to be consulted.

Committee Chairman Paul Richards said landlords in the private sector would be "kicking and screaming" if they are made to reduce their rents.

Source: http://www.looptt.com/content/mp-rent-too-high
Last edited by The_Honourable on February 20th, 2020, 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 20th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Nothing gonna change...if anything, rent going up as soon as property tax hit

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 20th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Demand and supply...people wouldn't be charging that much if people weren't paying it...:|

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 20th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Why de ass Ancil Antoine doh talk about Faris PNM rent?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 20th, 2020, 7:35 pm

bluefete wrote:Why de ass Ancil Antoine doh talk about Faris PNM rent?

Cuz it's value for $$

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 20th, 2020, 7:55 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
bluefete wrote:Why de ass Ancil Antoine doh talk about Faris PNM rent?

Cuz it's value for $$

Private landlords could say the same thing. LOL.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm

People working hard and building up houses for rent to make money.

So they cant charge high rent to like up theyself too?

Only allyuh sufferers want nice house for small money?

Pay it or move up!

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Poll: Rent in T&T too high? or we like it so?

Postby sMASH » February 20th, 2020, 9:08 pm

u could always pitch a tent on a promenade

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 20th, 2020, 9:27 pm

That is one of the most dotish comments I hear in a long while. They can't do it because they have to get back their money , but a landlord is supposed to what? Build and let people live in it at cost or below? So they take all their life savings for which they get no interest and invest it to help other people? Well tell the grocery how they prices too high and what they should sell for , tell the car dealers people can't afford cars so they should drop their prices and tell fairy to rent the govt the bldg a lil cheaper because people complaining.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 20th, 2020, 10:56 pm

MaxPower wrote:People working hard and building up houses for rent to make money.

Pay it or move up!

Don't get me started on how some does keep the landlord place.

I usually look at some layouts to see what I like for my home. I have seen some very nice properties and I get vex seeing how the tenants have it and it not even my place.

Just today I been to a property. Tenant said ac leaking water.
Hauled my ass over there even though I supposed to avoid such environments in my state only to meet a big block of ice. If its not working, turn it the f**k off, how stupid can you be? I rectified it and shut it down so the person cant turn it on till it thaws. Took the tenant name and number, calling tenant, tenant not answering.
How much you wanna bet said tenant wanna haggle price and say how ac wasnt available for a half day?
And on top that they kick out the drain line and have water leaking all over the yard. Yuh eh have it in yuh head to stick it back in? Like I hadda glue it in place :roll:

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 20th, 2020, 11:26 pm

MaxPower wrote:People working hard and building up houses for rent to make money.

Pay it or move up!
Dey want hyatt but ha cardboard money yes...

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 20th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Friends,

Now i know things hard for some of yall....but live within your means and stop fighting down high rent prices. Do not tote and bash the landlords jus because you cannot afford it.

Nobody forcing you to pay high rent.

It have plenty places for small money, but allyuh dont want to live in no sheit hole with sheit ppl ent?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 20th, 2020, 11:39 pm

but everybody knows buildings , construction , materials & labor to build it not cheap so they expect landlords to give away their place for piper rent as a service to mankind .....

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 21st, 2020, 12:01 am

If its not the landlords, they blaming the banks, government, employers.

Annoying

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 21st, 2020, 6:45 am

They forget to say is Kamla fault.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » February 21st, 2020, 7:41 am

nervewrecker wrote:

Pay it or move up!

Don't get me started on how some does keep the landlord place.

I usually look at some layouts to see what I like for my home. I have seen some very nice properties and I get vex seeing how the tenants have it and it not even my place.

Just today I been to a property. Tenant said ac leaking water.
Hauled my ass over there even though I supposed to avoid such environments in my state only to meet a big block of ice. If its not working, turn it the f**k off, how stupid can you be? I rectified it and shut it down so the person cant turn it on till it thaws. Took the tenant name and number, calling tenant, tenant not answering.
How much you wanna bet said tenant wanna haggle price and say how ac wasnt available for a half day?
And on top that they kick out the drain line and have water leaking all over the yard. Yuh eh have it in yuh head to stick it back in? Like I hadda glue it in place :roll:

And what wrong if they demand a price reduction if they didn't receive the stipulated comfort that you agreed to provide via the rental agreement in which they would have already paid a deposit and a monthly rent? Maybe you one of those landlords who promise bi-annual AC maintenance only for the tenant to find the only time the AC is maintained is when is *frozen* up as you put it.
Would you be happy if you rent a suite in the Hilton and halfway during ur stay they say move u into a normal room without no compensation whatsoever?
me eh say it eh have errant tenants eh but landlords really like things they own way in this country, the tenant literally has no rights effectively. but hey dis is PNM/UNC country an we love it so rite.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 21st, 2020, 8:52 am

trinidadian renters vs trini landlords... pot and kettle.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 21st, 2020, 8:59 am

You all go ahead and shrug this off, next thing you know govt really trying to step in and regulate and tax rentals,,, our freedoms are being jeopardized little by little. What we knew as our rights will soon be under fire..

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 21st, 2020, 9:04 am

No rental board or authority in TT, like in USA/UK/EU etc. with corresponding laws regarding rents and duties, etc.

Yeah we like it so. 3rd world TT governments have no interest to protect its citizens, whether it's landlords or renters. Both have duties and rights. Almost every industry in TT is like this. From buying cars, housing, rent, consumer purchasing protection, selling food on the road...

But the politicians do take care of their fat cat lives when they get in the Red House, while constantly bawling to everyone around who can hear "Constitutional Reform!" Faris take good care of his and family's pockets eh? While the majority of his voting base don't have a proper fixed abode. Yes, we do like it so.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2020, 11:23 am

maj. tom wrote:No rental board or authority in TT, like in USA/UK/EU etc. with corresponding laws regarding rents and duties, etc.

Yeah we like it so. 3rd world TT governments have no interest to protect its citizens, whether it's landlords or renters. Both have duties and rights. Almost every industry in TT is like this. From buying cars, housing, rent, consumer purchasing protection, selling food on the road...

I believe that you are speaking about rent control or rent ceilings. About 40 states in the US have laws that make rent control illegal.

If you compare tenant rights in T&T, you may conclude that tenants in nearly every city in the US have fewer protections.

Rents as a percentage of income is very high in Trinidad but that may be caused by comparatively low local wages.

Trinidad's rents and cost of living are about average when compared to similar regions around the world. However, the average wage and minimum wage in Trinidad is much lower than most world regions that have similar GDP and worker skills numbers.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 21st, 2020, 11:56 am

If allyuh had to deal with some of the trials I does go through , you wouldn't even want to go into that business.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm

rent is a broad topic though
i think the mid to lower rents are not bad
the high end and commercial rents are ridiculous
many of them 1% don’t care to drop rent and have buildings unoccupied for years

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 21st, 2020, 12:11 pm

As a Landlord you cannot afford to show sympathy to some because they will take advantage. I know people who felt sorry for tenants because of all kinda sob stories: "Me eh geh pay this month", "an emergency come up" and what they thought was a one off incident became a habit.

Taking a hard line might earn you a reputation as an arse but it avoids stress in the long run: Pay your rent on time or kindly vacate the premises, thank you...:|

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 21st, 2020, 12:28 pm

Talk done.

Most of my tenants there for years and we have a good understanding , if they come late is no problem to me I don't even charge late fee. There are some who come nice like guava jam and turn out to be monsters. I wish nobody ever leave, so if anybody giving problems ,you know is not my fault. I have a Tuner working for me who is a bailiff, he does deal with them real brisk.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » February 21st, 2020, 1:35 pm

Demand and supply, people free to ask what ever price they want and if people lining up then they fully right.

My friend has some apartments, was asking 7,000 in 2014 and got most rented out at 6500.

They are 3 bed 2 bath townhouses in a decent area, semi furnished nothing too fancy but nice. Now he's lowered it to 5,500 because people simply aren't paying the asking rate.

In my opinion, rent is pretty cheap right now.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 21st, 2020, 2:15 pm

Tell your padna that expensive apts have a season. Now is not it. Target middle income earners. They are the ones most likely to stay. The ones paying higher rents and having good jobs are temporary . They will buy a property and pay $7500 on a mortgage instead of rent.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm

Allyuh sufferers need to find those places for under $3000.

Dont really want allyuh pestering around high rent areas.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 21st, 2020, 3:10 pm

3br is a hard sell, and for those prices ppl would want to be in big shot gated place with security.
and as spann say a couple with good salary will eventually want to buy a property with that kind of rent outlay.

the better option would have been smaller 2br units for lower rent.

Dohplaydat wrote:Demand and supply, people free to ask what ever price they want and if people lining up then they fully right.

My friend has some apartments, was asking 7,000 in 2014 and got most rented out at 6500.

They are 3 bed 2 bath townhouses in a decent area, semi furnished nothing too fancy but nice. Now he's lowered it to 5,500 because people simply aren't paying the asking rate.

In my opinion, rent is pretty cheap right now.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 21st, 2020, 3:56 pm

My folks recently did 4 sjngle room apts up in the east, imagine $1900 per month(semi furnished, ac etc and men bawling)...literally one minute drive to the heart of Grande...we got it rented out, one dr, a nurse, fireman and a taxi driver...guess what the driver pays first(even paid an extra month in advance) while we does literally beg the dr for his payment(ohhh how he have expenses) told the guy to take out a standing order, ohh he cya do that...

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 21st, 2020, 4:21 pm

Dont be fooled by these “doctors”....

Quite a few of them working for small money and like to play big boy......but they cheap no ass.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”