TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

K74T
TunerGod

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 114 cases, 8 deaths, 21 discharged in T&T

Postby K74T » April 20th, 2020, 10:23 pm

FB_IMG_1587435345311.jpeg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 20th, 2020, 11:00 pm

https://www.facebook.com/An0malyMusic/v ... 474719976/

Interesting points, eg if govt ban sugar and alcohol more lives might be saved from those vices than corona deaths

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 114 cases, 8 deaths, 26 discharged in T&T

Postby hydroep » April 21st, 2020, 7:14 am

AT LAST!
Stranded for weeks in Barbados... Joyful Trinis coming home today
Anna Ramdass

Squeals of joy broke out in Barbados yesterday when it was announced that National Security Minister Stuart Young had granted permission for 33 Trinidad and Tobago nationals to return home today.

The Express learnt that upon arrival at Piarco International Airport today the nationals will be questioned and immediately whisked away to the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua where they will undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine period and tested for the COVID-19 virus.

They will arrive on two flights — the first at 11 a.m. and the second at 2.15 p.m. — on a chartered plane from One Caribbean Ltd out of St Vincent at a total cost of US$25,000.

Acting permanent secretary in the National Security Ministry, Gary Joseph, wrote to Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews yesterday stating that Young has granted an exception to the current travel restrictions to allow two flights from Barbados to enter and leave Trinidad today to repatriate 33 nationals.

The letter stated only the 33 nationals are to disembark the aircraft.

Phillip Ramdial, head of Just Go Travel who had organised a cruise and tour for the group in Dubai, said everyone is elated beyond words to finally return home after over a month away.

The group left Trinidad on February 25, Carnival Tuesday, for Dubai where they embarked on a cruise on the Indian Ocean.

After the COVID-19 outbreak, they tried to make their way back to Trinidad but were unable to do so as this country’s borders closed at midnight on March 22 and they arrived in Barbados on March 23.

The Barbados government decided to keep the group in that country on humanitarian grounds and they underwent 14 days mandatory quarantine at the Sugar Cane Hotel and then almost another two weeks at the hotel while awaiting word from the Trinidad and Tobago Government as to whether they can return home.

The group was supposed to be tested for COVID-19 in Barbados and kits were sent by the T&T Government but that plan was scrapped after the Barbados government said they were short on swabs.

One family

On April 12, Young said the group will be allowed to enter the country and be tested here but added he won’t be sending a flight for them.

Ramdial said the T&T nationals has organised a farewell “thank you” function to show their love, gratitude and appreciation for the staff at the Sugar Cane Hotel who treated them like family.

He reiterated heartfelt thanks to the Barbados government and Prime Minister Mia Mottley for her compassion.

Speaking to the Express by phone yesterday, Ramdial said the hotel also showed their appreciation for the group and treated them to a complimentary dinner.

He said the group was together when he got the call from attorneys Prakash Ramadhar and Larry Lalla that permission was given.

“We feel very happy. In fact, when I gave them the good news at 4.10 p.m. everybody went into an uproar. Prakash could tell you that he was on the phone with me. It was a good feeling knowing we are finally going home. There is no place like home sweet home,” he said.

“When you reflect, they did a wonderful job, Minister Young, the Prime Minister. I want to thank them for giving us this privilege to be home again on our home soil,” he added.

Ramdial said it was not easy for him to see the sad faces, tears and distress of group members on a daily basis as they had no idea when they would have seen their homes again.

He said while they are prepared for testing and quarantine here they would prefer if they could quarantine at home as he pointed out they have spent almost a month in Barbados restricted to the hotel.

However, the Express was told by medical sources that Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram has advised that the group be quarantined in a State facility as a precaution.

Stateless citizens

Attorneys Ramadhar and Larry Lalla have been communicating with Young on behalf of the group.

Lalla said: “I’m very happy that these citizens are finally being allowed to return to sweet T&T. I don’t personally know any of them but got involved in their cause when I heard they were stranded in Barbados, were retirees, had left Trinidad on Carnival Tuesday, were on a cruise ship in South Africa on the Friday when it was announced that the borders would be closed on Sunday at midnight, and they had scampered back home from South Africa, but just couldn’t make it back on time. It was therefore not their fault that they were locked out of the country.”

He said 25 years ago, as a law student, he was taught that under the rules of international law a country could not make its citizens stateless and he was determined to see that T&T did not do so with these elderly citizens.

He said he immediately contacted MP Dr Roodal Moonilal and asked him to get involved and he did so without hesitation by issuing a statement.

He then spoke to MP Prakash Ramadhar about the cause. He said the process has been long.

“Personally, my satisfaction came today when I advised the group leader over the phone in Barbados that they would be coming home tomorrow. The whole group was having a prayer session at the time and the cheers of joy I heard from them in the background as the announcement was made brought a few tears to my eyes,” he said.

“I’m happy for them and all their sons, daughters, grand-children, relatives and friends who await them here in Trinidad.

I want to thank Minister Stuart Young and his staff for the assistance we had as well as Dr Roodal Moonilal, Mr Prakash Ramadhar and the Trinidad Express for all the support given to this patriotic cause. There’s no place like home!” said Lalla.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/at-last/article_0de0d9e4-8370-11ea-9e0f-93dab80eb4f5.html

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 21st, 2020, 7:18 am

Duke warns WASA over suspected covid19 death
Kinnesha George

THA Minority leader and president of the Public Services Association (PSA) Watson Duke is calling on the Water and Sewage Authority (WASA) to say whether a PSA member who worked at WASA's Tobago office died of covid19 on Saturday.

Duke also wants WASA's top officials to say if employees were put at risk by allowing the PSA member to report for work while ill.

On Sunday, Duke said on Facebook that staff had told management that the worker, a female security officer, was coughing and had a high fever, but nothing was done about it. Instead, the concerned workers were allegedly told to continue reporting for duty.

Duke said: “Did the management of WASA Tobago allow someone suspected of covid19 to infect several employees? Did the CEO of WASA knowingly allow someone who is a covid19 suspect to be working in and among workers, placing thereby those other workers' lives in direct threat of covid?"

He said the guard, who was contracted through a private security firm and based at a water-treatment plant in the east, went to work coughing last week.

He said he had seen an e-mail exchange between WASA managers in Tobago and Trinidad, which said the medical advice was: "Let the person who is a suspect case come to work still."

Newsday sought to obtain a copy of the alleged WASA e-mail exchange from Duke but he refused.

"The person had high fever; the person had cold working in a WASA station. Workers complained about this individual...working in and around WASA workers,” Duke said.

If any WASA employees contract the virus, he said, the PSA will take legal action.

“If any essential service worker who is working contracts covid19 in the line of their duty, they should be paid immediately $1.5 million."

Duke said while he's at home, he doesn't wish to engage in any type of union activities, but he might be forced to shut down a few organisations.

Questioned on Monday about the suspected covid19 death at the daily virtual press briefings, Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh said the policy in place by local authorities is that autopsies will not be done for covid19.

"The Chief Medical Officer on this very forum on numerous occasions has said, without speaking to the particular case in Tobago, that if you have a confirmed case of death due to covid19 that no autopsy is performed. I'm just giving you that fact. I would urge everyone to ignore social media, we would be guided by updates from the Ministry of Health."

Pressed further for more details about the claims, Deyalsingh said: "I think the best way I can deal with claims by Mr Duke is just simply to ignore it."

In a release, WASA said appropriate health and safety measures have been undertaken.

WASA said it was following "all protocols under its business continuity plan and Ministry of Health guidelines, regarding the response to possible covid19 cases within the authority.”

It said it had no previous reports that the security officer had shown flu-like symptoms while on duty.

WASA said contact tracing measures had been implemented and staff who may have been in contact with her were told to self-quarantine, pending the results of the autopsy.

WASA sent condolences to her family.

The Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development said county medical officer of health for Tobago Dr Tiffany Hoyte had been contacted after the guard died.

“To date, there is no confirmation that the security officer died as a result of covid19,” it said, also pointing out that she had not been suspected of having covid19 before she died, and hence had not been swabbed.

The division said like WASA, it had not received any earlier reports that the guard had felt ill or had flu-like symptoms at work.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/21/duke-warns-wasa-over-suspected-covid19-death/

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 21st, 2020, 7:25 am

pugboy wrote:https://www.facebook.com/An0malyMusic/videos/559198474719976/

Interesting points, eg if govt ban sugar and alcohol more lives might be saved from those vices than corona deaths

Yes...valid point.

Govt bans work.

Like the ban on Guns,Drugs,and driving over the speed limit.

Cept this stuff taste good.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 21st, 2020, 8:19 am

Larry Lalla states his actions

He said he immediately contacted MP Dr Roodal Moonilal and asked him to get involved and he did so without hesitation by issuing a statement.

No politics there.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » April 21st, 2020, 8:24 am

hydroep wrote:
AT LAST!
Stranded for weeks in Barbados... Joyful Trinis coming home today
Anna Ramdass

Squeals of joy broke out in Barbados yesterday when it was announced that National Security Minister Stuart Young had granted permission for 33 Trinidad and Tobago nationals to return home today.

The Express learnt that upon arrival at Piarco International Airport today the nationals will be questioned and immediately whisked away to the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua where they will undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine period and tested for the COVID-19 virus.

They will arrive on two flights — the first at 11 a.m. and the second at 2.15 p.m. — on a chartered plane from One Caribbean Ltd out of St Vincent at a total cost of US$25,000.

Acting permanent secretary in the National Security Ministry, Gary Joseph, wrote to Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews yesterday stating that Young has granted an exception to the current travel restrictions to allow two flights from Barbados to enter and leave Trinidad today to repatriate 33 nationals.

The letter stated only the 33 nationals are to disembark the aircraft.

Phillip Ramdial, head of Just Go Travel who had organised a cruise and tour for the group in Dubai, said everyone is elated beyond words to finally return home after over a month away.

The group left Trinidad on February 25, Carnival Tuesday, for Dubai where they embarked on a cruise on the Indian Ocean.

After the COVID-19 outbreak, they tried to make their way back to Trinidad but were unable to do so as this country’s borders closed at midnight on March 22 and they arrived in Barbados on March 23.

The Barbados government decided to keep the group in that country on humanitarian grounds and they underwent 14 days mandatory quarantine at the Sugar Cane Hotel and then almost another two weeks at the hotel while awaiting word from the Trinidad and Tobago Government as to whether they can return home.

The group was supposed to be tested for COVID-19 in Barbados and kits were sent by the T&T Government but that plan was scrapped after the Barbados government said they were short on swabs.

One family

On April 12, Young said the group will be allowed to enter the country and be tested here but added he won’t be sending a flight for them.

Ramdial said the T&T nationals has organised a farewell “thank you” function to show their love, gratitude and appreciation for the staff at the Sugar Cane Hotel who treated them like family.

He reiterated heartfelt thanks to the Barbados government and Prime Minister Mia Mottley for her compassion.

Speaking to the Express by phone yesterday, Ramdial said the hotel also showed their appreciation for the group and treated them to a complimentary dinner.

He said the group was together when he got the call from attorneys Prakash Ramadhar and Larry Lalla that permission was given.

“We feel very happy. In fact, when I gave them the good news at 4.10 p.m. everybody went into an uproar. Prakash could tell you that he was on the phone with me. It was a good feeling knowing we are finally going home. There is no place like home sweet home,” he said.

“When you reflect, they did a wonderful job, Minister Young, the Prime Minister. I want to thank them for giving us this privilege to be home again on our home soil,” he added.

Ramdial said it was not easy for him to see the sad faces, tears and distress of group members on a daily basis as they had no idea when they would have seen their homes again.

He said while they are prepared for testing and quarantine here they would prefer if they could quarantine at home as he pointed out they have spent almost a month in Barbados restricted to the hotel.

However, the Express was told by medical sources that Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram has advised that the group be quarantined in a State facility as a precaution.

Stateless citizens

Attorneys Ramadhar and Larry Lalla have been communicating with Young on behalf of the group.

Lalla said: “I’m very happy that these citizens are finally being allowed to return to sweet T&T. I don’t personally know any of them but got involved in their cause when I heard they were stranded in Barbados, were retirees, had left Trinidad on Carnival Tuesday, were on a cruise ship in South Africa on the Friday when it was announced that the borders would be closed on Sunday at midnight, and they had scampered back home from South Africa, but just couldn’t make it back on time. It was therefore not their fault that they were locked out of the country.”

He said 25 years ago, as a law student, he was taught that under the rules of international law a country could not make its citizens stateless and he was determined to see that T&T did not do so with these elderly citizens.

He then spoke to MP Prakash Ramadhar about the cause. He said the process has been long.

“Personally, my satisfaction came today when I advised the group leader over the phone in Barbados that they would be coming home tomorrow. The whole group was having a prayer session at the time and the cheers of joy I heard from them in the background as the announcement was made brought a few tears to my eyes,” he said.

“I’m happy for them and all their sons, daughters, grand-children, relatives and friends who await them here in Trinidad.

I want to thank Minister Stuart Young and his staff for the assistance we had as well as Dr Roodal Moonilal, Mr Prakash Ramadhar and the Trinidad Express for all the support given to this patriotic cause. There’s no place like home!” said Lalla.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/at-last/article_0de0d9e4-8370-11ea-9e0f-93dab80eb4f5.html
So they are pigs?....waaaay dread.

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » April 21st, 2020, 9:03 am

these pests getting to come back now want home quarantine ?
steups.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 21st, 2020, 9:23 am

dean_spleen09 wrote:these pests getting to come back now want home quarantine ?
steups.

Heaven forbid a stroke of bad luck/act of god/force majeure ever happen to you.

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » April 21st, 2020, 9:38 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
steups.

I think he means there is a good chance these 33 people will not adhere to a strict quarantine if left to isolate at home. If they left to quarantine at home, they'll just complain about that too. How their freedom is being restrictive and they have a right to go gallerying themselves.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 21st, 2020, 9:50 am

DTAC wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
steups.

I think he means there is a good chance these 33 people will not adhere to a strict quarantine if left to isolate at home. If they left to quarantine at home, they'll just complain about that too. How their freedom is being restrictive and they have a right to go gallerying themselves.

You are allowed to complain once you comply though.

If most of Trinidad want to turn into Govnt cucks go ahead but it is a frightening trend that it has become taboo to mention or say anything that seems to be contrary to what the Governement is doing now.

As it is there are lots of govnt cucks on Tuner right now.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 21st, 2020, 11:09 am

steups.

Tell me about it.

But I would like to commend Stuarty for holding firm with his decision to keep them out despite all the provoking rants towards him.

Let this be a lesson for all you irresponsible Trinis.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 21st, 2020, 11:52 am

I must admit ... the PNM playbook is a masterpiece. They have created such fear in the minds of people from COVID that they have total control of everything that their followers do, say and think. As you rightfully said, anything one says in disagreement with their approach is met with vicious attacks.

The more I look at what is happening worldwide I think that there is a hidden agenda by these Politicians. This is the perfect scenario to reduce the world population and create a welfare system of total Govt control. Everybody was confused when the PNM started creating unemployment by shutting down everything pre Covid .... COVID is now the perfect catalyst to kill everything now. Lets see where this goes... they sure not letting this crisis go to waste.

Dizzy28 wrote:
DTAC wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
steups.

If most of Trinidad want to turn into Govnt cucks go ahead but it is a frightening trend that it has become taboo to mention or say anything that seems to be contrary to what the Governement is doing now.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 21st, 2020, 12:43 pm

Gladiator wrote:I must admit ... the PNM playbook is a masterpiece. They have created such fear in the minds of people from COVID that they have total control of everything that their followers do, say and think. As you rightfully said, anything one says in disagreement with their approach is met with vicious attacks.

The more I look at what is happening worldwide I think that there is a hidden agenda by these Politicians. This is the perfect scenario to reduce the world population and create a welfare system of total Govt control. Everybody was confused when the PNM started creating unemployment by shutting down everything pre Covid .... COVID is now the perfect catalyst to kill everything now. Lets see where this goes... they sure not letting this crisis go to waste.

Dizzy28 wrote:
DTAC wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
steups.

Lol worldwide politicians

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 21st, 2020, 1:26 pm

i think (opinion) that we should start rolling back these heavy isolation measures. because, its not doing any thign except prolonging the inevitable. we dont have a vaccine, this thing is highly communicable. it IS going to spread, people WILL catch it, people WILL die. as sooon as lock down ends, people move about, it will spread, ur neo proverbial second and third waves.

what we are doing here, is just tanking the economy and individuals even more than what was there in the tail end of 2019.

im not saying to go back to normal. but identify those mostly susceptible to succumbing to the covid, and u keep them well isolated. put ur remote monitoring and support systems for them. the rest of everybody, u let the restaurants reopen, let people go back to beach and river etc, for a two weeks. monitor the cases and treat who needs treating.

after about a month u start to send people back to work.

the goal is heard immunity, so that the at risk groups would not be able to get it through the community, easily.

but then again, there is no official data to show local or community spread, all cases and deaths were confined to govt controlled scenarios, and they are testing the population provided those individuals met the criteria

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » April 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

sMASH wrote:the goal is heard immunity,

herd immunity to coronavirus is an untested theory at this point. Recovering might give you protection for a few months or a few years, but we don't really know.

My personal view is that we've been at 0 new cases for a while now. There is no curve, just a flat line at 0.

___________ <-- the curve of new cases right now.

Attempting to "flatten the curve" more is well into diminishing returns. We can re-open some parts of the economy without compromising our safety. The sky will not fall down.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 21st, 2020, 1:56 pm

Adjustments.JPG

How sad

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 21st, 2020, 2:06 pm

MaxPower wrote:
steups.

Tell me about it.

But I would like to commend Stuarty for holding firm with his decision to keep them out despite all the provoking rants towards him.

You do know Goebbels Young folded like a cheap suitcase in the end right?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 21st, 2020, 2:51 pm

De Dragon wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
steups.

Tell me about it.

You do know Goebbels Young folded like a cheap suitcase in the end right?

In the end, yes he did.

He did well...still a pantyman, be he did well.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 21st, 2020, 3:09 pm

Trinis return from Barbados
Ryan Hamilton

Sixteen of the 33 Trinidad and Tobago nationals who were among the people stranded in Barbados as a result of TT’s borders being closed because of covid19, landed at about 2pm at Piarco.

They came in on a chartered Caribbean Airlines flight, at their own expense, and were taken straight to the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua where they would be monitored.

The plane which brought them home, turned around shortly after to return to Barbados to bring home the remaining 17.

The group went on a cruise in Dubai and were trying to make their way back to the country before the borders were closed on March 23 but failed to do so and were stuck in Barbados.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/21/trinis-return-from-barbados/

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 21st, 2020, 3:24 pm

They touch down
Attachments
IMG-20200421-WA0078.jpg
IMG-20200421-WA0079.jpg

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 21st, 2020, 3:35 pm

That eh looking like no CAL plane as per the Newsday story above

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 21st, 2020, 3:52 pm

CAL has chartered planes without CAL markings-They become CAL flights?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 21st, 2020, 3:57 pm

Better shots
Attachments
IMG-20200421-WA0082.jpg
IMG-20200421-WA0084.jpg

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 21st, 2020, 4:07 pm

UK coronavirus vaccine to be trialled on people from Thursday

The health secretary promises to give medical teams everything they need but says "nothing about this process is certain".

Clinical trials of a coronavirus vaccine will begin on people from Thursday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

The COVID-19 vaccine is being developed by scientists at the University of Oxford, who have said it has an 80% chance of success.

Mr Hancock told the government's daily briefing that the Oxford trial and another at Imperial College London would each get at least another £20m of public money.

The Jenner Institute team at Oxford is starting production before the trial is complete and wants about a million doses ready to be sent out by September.

Mr Hancock said developing a vaccine is an "uncertain science" but that the two teams were making "rapid progress" and would be backed "to the hilt".

He said: "At the same time we'll invest in manufacturing capability so if either of these vaccines safely works then we can make it available for the British people as soon as humanely possible."

However, he cautioned that "nothing about this process is certain".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... k-11976681

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 21st, 2020, 4:15 pm

that is good

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » April 21st, 2020, 4:18 pm

Lazy reporting. Not CAL, One Caribbean Ltd. Amazing how one can call themselves a journalist but not even get the basic info right.

Herd Immunity was a concept floated around at the beginning. Even before it became a pandemic when there was literally no information and everything was guesswork but because nothing dies on the Internet it's floating around like it's new.

Everything points to the fact that having already contracted the disease and recovering doesn't give you any sort of significant immunity if at all, so there would be widespread infection of newly infected people reinfecting people who have recovered and them reinfecting again.

Look at it this way. there are almost 700,000 people recovered. If these 700,000 people were found to be immune, that fact would be on the front page of every newspaper and website on Earth.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » April 21st, 2020, 4:23 pm

DTAC wrote:Look at it this way. there are almost 700,000 people recovered. If these 700,000 people were found to be immune, that fact would be on the front page of every newspaper and website on Earth.

they are immune. they have antibodies that can be taken in plasma and given to another patient for treatment (link).

the real question is how long that immunity lasts. The range for other coronaviruses is 3 months to 12 months, iirc. For COVID19 specifically, we have no idea.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » April 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm

1 additional case
5C6BF724-DE66-4601-810B-7E151788D671.jpeg

paid_influencer

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 115 cases, 8 deaths, 26 discharged in T&T

Postby paid_influencer » April 21st, 2020, 4:28 pm

K74T wrote:1 additional case 5C6BF724-DE66-4601-810B-7E151788D671.jpeg

^ oh that's bad. 115 cases. If it's a random sample that came back positive... we in real shiet. :drinking:

April 30 re-opening, write off.
Last edited by paid_influencer on April 21st, 2020, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”