Forums

Back yards / landscaping

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: Back yards / landscaping

Postby carluva » May 25th, 2021, 8:04 am

It's hard to tell from the night pic, but a Ficus or boxwood could be groomed to any shape or topiary.
Phone Surgeon wrote:Which plant is that you used for the archway

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 25th, 2021, 8:07 am

I need to do some planting to relieve the stress. I bought some plants before the SOE but need some more. Prolly won't risk it, or go mid week early o clock.
timelapse wrote:Agricultural sector, yeah.Just the plant section though
carluva wrote:Is la Vega open with all these restrictions?
timelapse wrote:La Vega currently.I saw some on Sunday
Phone Surgeon wrote:very nice....you have a nice spot home to relax
on a related note

wheres a good place to buy bougainvillea plants, looking for different colours and looking for plants rather than cuttings

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » May 25th, 2021, 9:48 am

What is the name of this tree/plant? Thanks.

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » May 25th, 2021, 9:55 am

demented wrote:Image

Weeping willow

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » May 25th, 2021, 9:56 am

Ficus for the archway

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 25th, 2021, 12:08 pm

These are a few of our escape. It's amazing how relaxing and therapeutic a nice landscape can be in times of stress such as these.

The willow is making a comeback after being heavily pruned last year due to poor growth and rotten branches.

We're also now starting an arch with the mandevilla vines... very beautiful plant/flower fyi.
Attachments
IMG_20210525_115601438_HDR1.jpg
IMG_20210525_115658846_HDR1.jpg
IMG_20210525_1157324411.jpg
IMG_20210525_115803879_HDR1.jpg

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » May 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm

computercentral wrote:

Weeping willow

Thanks. Your Backyard looking excellent.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 25th, 2021, 4:56 pm

My small front yard
IMG-20210517-WA0002.jpeg

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » May 25th, 2021, 6:17 pm

demented wrote:
computercentral wrote:

Weeping willow

Thanks. Your Backyard looking excellent.

Looks great, it does look like a bottle brush rather than a weeping willow though.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 25th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Waaaay ... Feeling shame to put up my backyard now. Alyuh fellers really have some nice landscapes!

nismodriver
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby nismodriver » May 25th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Greats stuff! You can host parties there with the looks of it (After Covid of course).

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » May 25th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Last party was December 2019………….lots of people mixup weeping willow with bottle brush . Look at the whole thread will see the weeping willow tree

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 25th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Yes papa... Looks nice. Grass now catching?

I see I'm not the only one tryna encourage hummingbirds in the yard. We have a few feeders scattered. There's about 10+ of then that frequent the yard early morning, late afternoon. Quite a variety too... About 4-5 differ types
timelapse wrote:My small front yard
IMG-20210517-WA0002.jpeg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 25th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Grass get trampled by the dogs last rainy season.It now catching itself.We got about ten hummingbirds.To answer your question in the other thread, yes I in central
carluva wrote:Yes papa... Looks nice. Grass now catching?

I see I'm not the only one tryna encourage hummingbirds in the yard. We have a few feeders scattered. There's about 10+ of then that frequent the yard early morning, late afternoon. Quite a variety too... About 4-5 differ types
timelapse wrote:My small front yard
IMG-20210517-WA0002.jpeg

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » September 23rd, 2021, 10:14 pm

I’m in need of some advice. My yard is made up mainly of heavy clay and I am interested in establishing some lawn. It has about a 2inch layer of sandfill but I need to add about 3 more inches to properly level out the yard. I was advised not to use anymore sandfill but quality soil is something hard to come by lately. Any advice on how to proceed? It’s approximately 3500sqft of land

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » September 23rd, 2021, 10:36 pm

Hinds wrote:I’m in need of some advice. My yard is made up mainly of heavy clay and I am interested in establishing some lawn. It has about a 2inch layer of sandfill but I need to add about 3 more inches to properly level out the yard. I was advised not to use anymore sandfill but quality soil is something hard to come by lately. Any advice on how to proceed? It’s approximately 3500sqft of land
Back in my school days what I remember was for clay type soils, ploughing grass into it and letting it rot and become manure, after a while loosens the clay particles and you get something nice, between clayey and sandy soil. Might need to do it more than once tho.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 24th, 2021, 4:11 am

Hinds wrote:I’m in need of some advice. My yard is made up mainly of heavy clay and I am interested in establishing some lawn. It has about a 2inch layer of sandfill but I need to add about 3 more inches to properly level out the yard. I was advised not to use anymore sandfill but quality soil is something hard to come by lately. Any advice on how to proceed? It’s approximately 3500sqft of land
if you not in a hurry, lets say about a month, sharpsand and cow manure at a 1/1 ratio will do you well.Just spread and leave to settle for about 4 weeks.

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » September 24th, 2021, 7:11 am

Premchand1976 wrote:
Back in my school days what I remember was for clay type soils, ploughing grass into it and letting it rot and become manure, after a while loosens the clay particles and you get something nice, between clayey and sandy soil. Might need to do it more than once tho.

What type of grass?

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » September 24th, 2021, 7:12 am

timelapse wrote:
if you not in a hurry, lets say about a month, sharpsand and cow manure at a 1/1 ratio will do you well.Just spread and leave to settle for about 4 weeks.

Hmm ok, does it matter if the manure is cured or not? Do I mix it into the clay or layer it on top?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 24th, 2021, 8:24 am

Hinds wrote:
timelapse wrote:

Hmm ok, does it matter if the manure is cured or not? Do I mix it into the clay or layer it on top?
If it is cured , you can use right away,but make sure it is cured.Too strong and your grass will burn.You can layer it on top,if its just grass you are planting.For other stuff ,you can dig holes and use the same mixture as is, in the holes.Watering and rain will mix the soil better than you or I ever can.Introduce some earthworms as well

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 24th, 2021, 8:50 am

Hinds wrote:
timelapse wrote:

You typically work the materials into the soil. Use a long-handled cultivator if you only only have a smaller area like half of a lot.

You can work anything organic into the sandy layer. Saw dust, compost, grass clippings, etc. Just spread thin layerwith a shovel and work it in. You can work it into the clay but more than 1/4 clay can be a problem for some turf grasses.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » September 24th, 2021, 8:53 am

Op i had the same problem you had. I stuck with sandfill as it much cheaper than top soil. But many people would advise against sandfill if you have to plant anything because the soil is "dead", dont contain any organic matter, acidic, blah blah. I used sandfill, bought a bag of limestone and sprinkled over the area ( a feedbag of limestone is about $65). Watered with liquid manure (liquid litter) and 20.20.20+me (nutrex). Planted zoysia grass. It took a while for grass to grow, but it did eventually and even with this hot dry weather we getting recently, lawn still holding up and i don't even water it. This worked for me and it's a much cheaper option than buying topsoil which is about $250 a yard as opposed to sandfill which is $400 for 10 yards.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 24th, 2021, 9:21 am

^Which is why I said not to mix it.That sandfill kills almost everything it touches.Best bet is for the lawn to spread on the surface.
If you don't have grass as yet, and you want something that loves sandfill send me a pm for directions.Is where I went for my grass.It requires a long drive and some digging with a sharp spade

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 24th, 2021, 10:38 am

Basically, you can use many different materials but whatever you use must be supplemented with organic material.

Sharpsand and manure is good but I would use that more for beds or pots. The manure would be consumed and over time as your grass grows, you'll be left with sinks all over the yard. In time you will get this no matter what you use which is why you need to top dress from time to time. The sharp sand would be especially prone to sinks as it's very loose.

You can try the sandfill with manure or any other organic material. You can use dirt with organic material. Top soil alone is good but as you said, that is hard to come by.

You can amend your clay with sharpsand and manure. That requires some work as 3500 sqft is no easy feat to do manually. I think that is a good option but will require you to excavate an inch or so from your existing land and then mixing that in with the sharpsand and manure mix. This will need equipment. This option will create a good base for the grass and as the organic material is consumed the clay component will prevent significant sinks from developing.

Yesterday, I bought 18 bags of soil mix for pots. Top soil, cow manure and sharpsand. It was from one of those vans that pass in the neighborhood. He's from Carlsen Field and if you know that area, it's bush and cows galore which equals to good soil. He told me that he has cows, goats and sheep and keeps the manure separate and then mixes it with soil he gets from the cocoa and forest in his property. He mixes using a concrete mixer. I'll admit it's the first time I bought from him but am very pleased with the consistency of the mix. Anyway, while chatting he said he also does lawn grass, zoysia and savannah. Give him a call and find out if he has anything that will work for you. You may be able to get something but it won't be as cheap as sandfill.
365-3183 (Sunil).

There is also a stockpile in Hinkin Road Cunupia. I went to see some dirt there day before. He has it for $400 a load. It looks like a mix between top soil and sandfill and you'll still have to supplement with organics or nutrients. 798-8180 (Ashmead, A&N stockpile).

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 24th, 2021, 4:52 pm

there is a company making a packaged soil mix on a large scale called "thomsons"
they have a coconut husk shredding machine and mixing the cocopeat with manure and some soil
it would be interesting to know what is the quality of the base soil they are using

the coconut husk/cocopeat has go properties for growing plants.

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » September 24th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Some good info here, thanks!

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » October 19th, 2021, 11:41 am

Does anyone know where I can get a manual roller to rent?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 19th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Hinds wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a manual roller to rent?
Find your nearest cricket ground.You might get it for cheaper or possibly free

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » October 24th, 2021, 10:24 pm

Nah pressure with that, been driving around hoping to see one lying around

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » October 24th, 2021, 10:26 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:
Op i had the same problem you had. I stuck with sandfill as it much cheaper than top soil. But many people would advise against sandfill if you have to plant anything because the soil is "dead", dont contain any organic matter, acidic, blah blah. I used sandfill, bought a bag of limestone and sprinkled over the area ( a feedbag of limestone is about $65). Watered with liquid manure (liquid litter) and 20.20.20+me (nutrex). Planted zoysia grass. It took a while for grass to grow, but it did eventually and even with this hot dry weather we getting recently, lawn still holding up and i don't even water it. This worked for me and it's a much cheaper option than buying topsoil which is about $250 a yard as opposed to sandfill which is $400 for 10 yards.

Did you have any run off issues with the bare sand? Some areas aren’t flat and I noticed that the sand is running off with the rain.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”