this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Re: UWI now ranked in top 1.5% of best universities in the world

Postby SuperiorMan » September 25th, 2021, 1:30 am

Redress10 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Redress10 wrote:All those schools are only better because their financial status allow them to be better. Those schools are not located in the developing world. They are located in the wealthiest nation on the planet. Harvard is also better than 99.9 percent of the universities on the planet. This includes universities in the UK, Germany,Eu, Singapore, Japan etc. Why would I compare a pipsqueek such as Uwi to Harvard? I would compare Harvard to Oxbridge, McGills of the world and not Uwi.

Harvard's endowment fund is 40 billion usd. That's about 280 billion tt dollars. It's literally chalk and cheese to even compare the two.

You are assuming that a Harvard grad and a UWI grad are ever in the same conversation or recruitment pool. Most harvard grads etc are directly recruited so they never need to be in a pile of resumes or even if they're in a pile then they are in a pile of similar gradutes.

You all are seriously downplaying just how influential those universities are. UWI could never be compared or even be in the same topic of conversation as them. It's not fair on UWI.

Dude, no one cares about the financial status of whatever when applying to a school.

If someone wants a better life/better job...they're going to apply to a better school.

There are better schools in the world. Deal with it.

Clearly you don't know how to select a university. People literally check the financial status of a school before applying.

Again, a person applying to Harvard and UWI are two completely different types of people. Can't compare both.

When I said financial status of a school I am referring to the financial disadvantages a school like UWI has which is what you were talking about before.

What is really your point?

Are you trying to say that no schools are better than the other one? So to you every school is the same?

Ofcourse people will consider their own financial status. That is beyond obvious. Given the same financial requirements obviously people will choose a better school to have a better job and life. People can also get external help to attend these schools.

You said "Again, a person applying to Harvard and UWI are two completely different types of people. Can't compare both."

I am comparing different schools. Why do you keep on comparing types of people etc? Do you understand my point?

You went to UWI didn't you? You sound like someone who attended there.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 25th, 2021, 10:40 am

I am saying that they can't be compared because they simply don't serve the same purpose. You're better off comparing Harvard to the best Universities in the developed countries and leave UWI out of that comparison.

UWI doesn't exist to do what Harvard does. Harvard educates some of the wealthiest people on the planet. Uwi exist to educate people in a region who simply wouldn't be able to afford tertiary education otherwise. UWI curriculum ia tied into the country's and region's economic, social and political development.

For you to still be trying to compare the two is assinine and these rankings are of no use to UWI. UWI will never have international appeal or prestige because it's simply not capable of being an international university. So it should simply focus on improving its product and services to the people of the region which is what it was created specifically to do.

No one anywhere in the world sees a UWI brochure and think I want to go there and study. They do that for unis in UK/US/Canada etc so these rankings are mainly for those universities in those countries to be able to sell themselves to prospective students by claiming that they are "better" via rankings. So Oxford can woo ppl from Harvard by claiming to be number 1 whilst Harvard is number 2 and Yale is able to sell their location and California at number 8 in place of a higher ranked university that may not have the same location perks.

Anyone who is looking at attending "500-600" ranked UWI doesn't have better options to go to. That's the basic and honest truth. So it makes little sense to compare UWI to the Yales Harvards etc of the world. They exist in different spheres of the world. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to say again.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » September 25th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Let's ask a different question.
Which institution produces the largest amount of graduates each year that ketch their azz to get a job UWI or UTT?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » September 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm

wtf wrote:Let's ask a different question.
Which institution produces the largest amount of graduates each year that ketch their azz to get a job UWI or UTT?

It's a tie :D

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 27th, 2021, 8:28 am

wtf wrote:Let's ask a different question.

It'll be nice to see some official stats on this.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » September 27th, 2021, 8:44 am

Redress10 wrote:I am saying that they can't be compared because they simply don't serve the same purpose. You're better off comparing Harvard to the best Universities in the developed countries and leave UWI out of that comparison.

UWI doesn't exist to do what Harvard does. Harvard educates some of the wealthiest people on the planet. Uwi exist to educate people in a region who simply wouldn't be able to afford tertiary education otherwise. UWI curriculum ia tied into the country's and region's economic, social and political development.

For you to still be trying to compare the two is assinine and these rankings are of no use to UWI. UWI will never have international appeal or prestige because it's simply not capable of being an international university. So it should simply focus on improving its product and services to the people of the region which is what it was created specifically to do.

No one anywhere in the world sees a UWI brochure and think I want to go there and study. They do that for unis in UK/US/Canada etc so these rankings are mainly for those universities in those countries to be able to sell themselves to prospective students by claiming that they are "better" via rankings. So Oxford can woo ppl from Harvard by claiming to be number 1 whilst Harvard is number 2 and Yale is able to sell their location and California at number 8 in place of a higher ranked university that may not have the same location perks.

Anyone who is looking at attending "500-600" ranked UWI doesn't have better options to go to. That's the basic and honest truth. So it makes little sense to compare UWI to the Yales Harvards etc of the world. They exist in different spheres of the world. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to say again.

Nah I definitely think you can compare universities.

One can be better for getting better/high paying/more stable jobs and the other isn't. Agree to disagree.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 27th, 2021, 9:34 am

Most UWI students i know are slackers and have a attitude.

They reek of Gateboys bar and they have low paying jobs.

They are always complaining.

The few i know, are doing very well for themselves.

They kept away from the crowd and popular rich duncey kids and studied their books.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » September 27th, 2021, 10:32 am

In terms of Harvard or Cambridge vs uwi what's the difference? I get in terms of science and technology they have equipment we can never dream of but let's say in terms of doing an MBA or liberal arts, isn't it the same thing you'll be learning in both schools, same books etc? And with the world going online where everyone is in their homes learning does it make less difference what school you're actually affiliated to because your won't be physically attending anyway? Curious to hear the University folks opinion

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 27th, 2021, 10:41 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
Redress10 wrote:I am saying that they can't be compared because they simply don't serve the same purpose. You're better off comparing Harvard to the best Universities in the developed countries and leave UWI out of that comparison.

Nah I definitely think you can compare universities.

One can be better for getting better/high paying/more stable jobs and the other isn't. Agree to disagree.

For me it comes like comparing a nuclear scientist educated in North Korea and a nuclear scientist educated at Harvard. They both know everything they need to know about nuclear reaction to do their jobs efficiently. We are forgetting that universities are about access. The US is the wealthiest and most developed nation on the planet. Some of the smallest colleges/universities will have more resources than all of the UWI campuses combined.

If you were to take the average 6 million americans and compare them to the 6 million english speaking caribbean population you would find that the americans are probably better off economically. This economic access can't be ignored when it comes to building institutions of high value and reputation. A quick glance of where caribbean people live in places such as NY would direct you to places such as Flatbush, Brooklyn and Queens etc. These places are not exactly thriving economically and alot of low income people live there.

The GDP of Massachuesettes where Harvard, MIT etc are located is 500 billion usd. This for a population of 7 million people. Our population of 1.3 million people have a GDP of about 26 billion usd. Brooklyn with a population of 2.5 million people have a GDP of little over 91 billion usd. So people in Brooklyn are theoretically better of economically than people in Trinidad. So Brooklyn College will be better funded than UWI etc.

Now imagine that people in Massachusettes are better off than people in Brooklyn will even begin to imagine and this is where institutions such as Harvard and MIT are located and mainly funded from. Our wealthiest people are nothing more than a drop in a bucket in those states. Those people are beyond wealthy and those institutions were never designed with people such as caribbean people in mind when they were created. Be very grateful for what you have available to you. Education access isna privilege that alot of trinis take for granted.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 27th, 2021, 10:55 am

alfa wrote:In terms of Harvard or Cambridge vs uwi what's the difference? I get in terms of science and technology they have equipment we can never dream of but let's say in terms of doing an MBA or liberal arts, isn't it the same thing you'll be learning in both schools, same books etc? And with the world going online where everyone is in their homes learning does it make less difference what school you're actually affiliated to because your won't be physically attending anyway? Curious to hear the University folks opinion

Bro...because we grew up with literally one university in the region ppl don't understand that universities are more or less brands. The better "brand" will always attract the better students who go on to get the better roles in society and in turn become wealthier more influential alumni who can turn around and donate more money to the institution resulting in better funding and facilities etc.

People in the developed world choose their universities based on ranking, family affiliation and location etc. Universities use these rankings to attract students, funding and marketing. Which is why I am saying that placing UWI alongside Harvard etc is stupid when discussing rankings. A british/canadian/us student when picking universities is not going to be considering UWI. They may not even choose a university out of their town or state because their state is already so huge that simply moving to the other side of the state comes like moving to another country.

University choice is about economics, rankings and location etc. People need different factors in order to narrow down their choices. Look at it this way. In a single company in the US, the nationwide ceo of the company may have gone to the best university in the country. The state ceo may have gone to the best university in the state. The town ceo may have gone to best university in the Town etc.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » September 29th, 2021, 12:21 am

Redress10 wrote:
For me it comes like comparing a nuclear scientist educated in North Korea and a nuclear scientist educated at Harvard. They both know everything they need to know about nuclear reaction to do their jobs efficiently. We are forgetting that universities are about access. The US is the wealthiest and most developed nation on the planet. Some of the smallest colleges/universities will have more resources than all of the UWI campuses combined.

If you were to take the average 6 million americans and compare them to the 6 million english speaking caribbean population you would find that the americans are probably better off economically. This economic access can't be ignored when it comes to building institutions of high value and reputation. A quick glance of where caribbean people live in places such as NY would direct you to places such as Flatbush, Brooklyn and Queens etc. These places are not exactly thriving economically and alot of low income people live there.

The GDP of Massachuesettes where Harvard, MIT etc are located is 500 billion usd. This for a population of 7 million people. Our population of 1.3 million people have a GDP of about 26 billion usd. Brooklyn with a population of 2.5 million people have a GDP of little over 91 billion usd. So people in Brooklyn are theoretically better of economically than people in Trinidad. So Brooklyn College will be better funded than UWI etc.

Now imagine that people in Massachusettes are better off than people in Brooklyn will even begin to imagine and this is where institutions such as Harvard and MIT are located and mainly funded from. Our wealthiest people are nothing more than a drop in a bucket in those states. Those people are beyond wealthy and those institutions were never designed with people such as caribbean people in mind when they were created. Be very grateful for what you have available to you. Education access isna privilege that alot of trinis take for granted.

Geez all that diatribe just to not say there are better schools than UWI.

Yes we all know that US is richer etc etc.

But everyone and their dog know there are better schools than UWI in the world.

You not as smart as you think.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 29th, 2021, 1:50 am

UWI Vs Cambridge is like comparing a junior sec Vs Pres. What's the difference you ask? Ent they doing the same work? Ent a man who get 8 ones in a junior sec just as bright as the one who went Pres? Yes.

The difference lies in the quality of students, lecturers....but most importantly it's the standards you'll be held too.

I went UWI and I went University of Manchester for my MSc.

The difference (keep in mind I started the same MSc in UWI but dropped out when my funding came through for Manchester) was chalk and cheese.

The standards and what was expected of us in Manchester was SIGNIFICANTLY different and far more advanced than any UWI student could dream off

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 29th, 2021, 9:36 pm

Those of you interested in US universities and how they are funded watch this on NETFLIX

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » September 30th, 2021, 1:11 am

Dohplaydat wrote:UWI Vs Cambridge is like comparing a junior sec Vs Pres. What's the difference you ask? Ent they doing the same work? Ent a man who get 8 ones in a junior sec just as bright as the one who went Pres? Yes.

The difference lies in the quality of students, lecturers....but most importantly it's the standards you'll be held too.

The difference (keep in mind I started the same MSc in UWI but dropped out when my funding came through for Manchester) was chalk and cheese.

The standards and what was expected of us in Manchester was SIGNIFICANTLY different and far more advanced than any UWI student could dream off

I would agree with you on this point. Currently a bit into a distance learning MSc based in the UK and what stood out to me the most was accessibility.

While watching the lecture webinars, they have this software that automatically adds closed captions to anything being said in real time to aid the hearing impaired. I was just sitting there watching this and thinking "UWI would never." It is also the zeal they have to make external materials and literature used in practice available to us. The standards they hold themselves to and holding the students to are both incredibly high, and just has me scratching my head, thinking about the 3 years I spent doing my bachelors in mona.

It really is light years difference, and I would put forward that Mona has higher standards than STA since the jamaican government only subsidises maximum 1/3 of tuition, making them less complacent about their position.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 30th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:UWI Vs Cambridge is like comparing a junior sec Vs Pres. What's the difference you ask? Ent they doing the same work? Ent a man who get 8 ones in a junior sec just as bright as the one who went Pres? Yes.

I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand. It's like comparing Eton College or Phillips Exeter Academy to one of our "prestigious" schools. It's literally chalk vs cheese. The tuition for philips Exeter is 60000 usd per year. It's £50000 for Eton. The world's billionaires and most influential ppl etc send their children to these sort of schools. It's the same for schools such as Cambridge and Harvard.

University of Manchester could never be compared to UWI. Manchester is a Russel Group university and ranked 27th in the world. That is a world class university. UWI isn't world class. Do you all consider university of Guyana to be world class? Will you risk years of your life and tuition attend such a University? That's basically what uwi is to universities such as Cambridge and Harvard etc.

Like I said. It's better off not even comparing. I saw a picture of a uwi classroom today and I could have sworn it was a jr sec school type classroom. It looked less "advanced" than my 6th form classrooms in London. My school had horses and stables for students who were preparing to study veterinary stuff etc. We had 2 rugby fields, 2 football fields and indoor swimming pool and gym. Complimentary coffee, tea in the common room which also had pool tables and air hockey thing. Those were just a few of the facilities available for 6th form students.

Would you also compare US Navy vs TT Coast Guard? Coast Guard vs Navy Seals? What about NYPD to TTPS. These comparisons could be endless. Doesn't mean they make sense.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 1st, 2021, 1:05 am

I feel like people banging 2 different drums in this thread.

Yes we know UWI is a backwater, globally insignificant institution. It is unfair to compare it to anything considered world class.

It is however one of the very few viable options that the absolute majority of T&T nationals have. If you arent awarded a scholarship by the foreign university, or a T&T open scholarship, or can afford it because of foreign dual citizenship or a part of a family with means, UWI is what you do.

UWI is, unlike what some have said, not a complete cesspool, despite its many flaws. Some of the students and faculty make it look like a cesspool. A lot of the vocal members early in the thread likely have no tertiary education whatsoever, and rely on rumshop talk and innate hatred of anything trinidad to form an opinion of UWI.

Either way, this study said that UWI is in the top 1.5% of unis worldwide.

Cool.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 1st, 2021, 1:09 am

ProtonPowder wrote:I feel like people banging 2 different drums in this thread.

Yes we know UWI is a backwater, globally insignificant institution. It is unfair to compare it to anything considered world class.

It is however one of the very few viable options that the absolute majority of T&T nationals have. If you arent awarded a scholarship by the foreign university, or a T&T open scholarship, or can afford it because of foreign dual citizenship or a part of a family with means, UWI is what you do.

UWI is, unlike what some have said, not a complete cesspool, despite its many flaws. Some of the students and faculty make it look like a cesspool. A lot of the vocal members early in the thread likely have no tertiary education whatsoever, and rely on rumshop talk and innate hatred of anything trinidad to form an opinion of UWI.

Cool.

If you actually read the thread then you would know that the 1.5% statistic is misleading. It seems like you have a UWI education. Dummy.

I'm also willing to bet everyone who acknowledged this fact had an education at a better institution most likely abroad judging from the responses.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 1st, 2021, 1:32 am

SuperiorMan wrote:

Cool.

If you actually read the thread then you would know that the 1.5% statistic is misleading. It seems like you have a UWI education. Dummy.

I'm also willing to bet everyone who acknowledged this fact had an education at a better institution most likely abroad judging from the responses.

I did read it, why are you so angry? You engage in some very Rowley and Al Rawi-esque tactics there with your dotish 'right thinking citizens argument'

I bet you dont have an education at all.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 1st, 2021, 2:40 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Cool.

I did read it, why are you so angry? You engage in some very Rowley and Al Rawi-esque tactics there with your dotish 'right thinking citizens argument'

I bet you dont have an education at all.

Rowley and Al Rawi-esque tactics ....lol how cringey. You 5 years old?

I am proud I attended a foreign university. You are the epitome of shit-tier UWI Trinidadian education....couldn't even read and understand the misleading 1.5% statistic. Dumb little third world fool. :lol:

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 3rd, 2021, 12:17 am

A lot of armchair academics in this thread talking not one sheit of what they actually know about...lol...

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 3rd, 2021, 11:04 pm

I kinda late in reading this ranking but I fully agree with you.

UWI playing de arse with statistics to big up themselves.

The actual ranking for 2022 is 591 out of 1,258 universities which puts them at 47%.

They rank 19th in universities in Latin America.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wo ... cols/stats

But continue to fools the masses.

The_Honourable wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:That is utter bs UWI, how did they arrive at that because on the university rankings site UWI is ranked 400-500 in the world out of 2112 universities.

That puts them a in the top 20% which is more realistic.
.Screenshot_20210924_185427.jpg

Exactly what I saw...

Really want to know where that 1.5% came from.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » October 4th, 2021, 3:45 am

wtf wrote:
Hwells wrote:u mean a place where i went to 1 class for a course for the whole semester, do some past papers the week before exams and pull out a 97 is the top 1.5% in the world.
the best uwi students is who have the most 'drafts' or kiss ass to these lecturers them
You sounding like you a soci graduate.
Two poems and you graduating...

Poems is humanities bruh... in socsci we used to write 2 essays for 60 marks, lol.
Si soy asi,,, me da lo mismo

Some of the loudest-mouth ppl in this thread can't even get into UWI to buy KFC, muchless..

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 4th, 2021, 4:41 am

FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:
Hwells wrote:u mean a place where i went to 1 class for a course for the whole semester, do some past papers the week before exams and pull out a 97 is the top 1.5% in the world.
the best uwi students is who have the most 'drafts' or kiss ass to these lecturers them

Poems is humanities bruh... in socsci we used to write 2 essays for 60 marks, lol.

Some of the loudest-mouth ppl in this thread can't even get into UWI to buy KFC, muchless..

A true story about Humanities......criminology and psychology to be exact.

One of my exes (who was bisexual and did elec eng) used to brush a sweet chick in the above departments. The chick needed help with an assignment that was worth 50% I believe. The chick asked my ex for help and, like a lesbian simp, she spent a weekend doing it for her.

This was a year 2 course that she had no prior knowledge of either criminology and psychology, she ended up getting 93% in it.

Since then she has wondered about the quality of and standards of those departments in UWI.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 4th, 2021, 6:18 am

FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:

They probably went to better schools. Whatever makes you feel better Frank.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 4th, 2021, 6:55 am

I remember UWI students coasting on my UoL degree.They shoulda focus on basic math instead
Also remember the running gag we had.If we had to go on UWI campus for anything " Don't forget your hazmat suit, because STDS airborne in there"

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » October 4th, 2021, 7:29 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 4th, 2021, 7:32 am

FrankChag wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:

Hello again Frank,

Yes it's true. If you were referring to me, I rejected UWI for University of Florida.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » October 4th, 2021, 7:38 am

timelapse wrote:I remember UWI students coasting on my UoL degree.They shoulda focus on basic math instead
Also remember the running gag we had.If we had to go on UWI campus for anything " Don't forget your hazmat suit, because STDS airborne in there"

Some ppl would say anything to pose they buying KFC from UWI...

Back in the day, while I was doing my first deg at UWI (in Business Management), I was helping some of my friends struggle with their maths and computer science univ. london courses. I can still remember some of the 2nd yr data-structure algorithms.. Those degrees (henley, heriot what?, acca etc) are just read the book, look at some vids (nowadays), write the exam... and still ppl struggle... You can't compare an on-campus degree experience with a correspondence degree, unless you're doing a PhD or something, where most of the work is on you anyway.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » October 4th, 2021, 7:55 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:

Hello again Frank,

Yes it's true. If you were referring to me, I rejected UWI for University of Florida.

Ah, I understand; and i froze my rear-end off where I was, post-grad. ;) [/nodoxing]

But you see I wouldn't rubbish Florida because I went to a better uni than you. It doesn't have to be zero-sum. So it stands to reason that the folks downing the UWI (instead of trying to fix it), carrying some serious baggage, yes?

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 4th, 2021, 8:16 am

FrankChag wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
FrankChag wrote:
wtf wrote:

Hello again Frank,

Ah, I understand; and i froze my rear-end off where I was, post-grad. ;) [/nodoxing]

But you see I wouldn't rubbish Florida because I went to a better uni than you. It doesn't have to be zero-sum. So it stands to reason that the folks downing the UWI (instead of trying to fix it), carrying some serious baggage, yes?

Tbh with you Frank I find that hard to believe and I feel you just making that up but anyway yes there is nothing to fix. There are better schools than UWI. :D

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”