TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

HELP! on servicing B13 carb...

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

konartis
Shifting into 6th

HELP! on servicing B13 carb...

Postby konartis » May 5th, 2012, 2:42 pm

ok guys...been getting a problem lately with a b13 that i own...its carb recently changed the oil, tried the castrol magnatec 20/50...usually go with the normal castrol 20/50..engine doesnt burn oil....anyways, been getting this problem at start up...engines starts normal, let it idle for about a min or two...how ever when i begin to drive off...i feel a sputter it happens only for about 15-20mins of driving and only when accelerating, after that, the car runs smoothly.... no problems at all....i'm not sure if its the new oil that i'm using(mabe too thick) , or do i need to service the carb (plugs/air filter/gas filter) thanks!! these stuff havent been done for about 2 years

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: HELP! on servicing B13 carb...

Postby rollingstock » May 7th, 2012, 3:27 pm

2 years you say?

Your air filter for sure will need changing, plugs at about time too, the carb can be easily cleaned.
I would suggest using a Bar's cleaner, it foams and cleans better and can be sprayed with the vehicle idling without stalling.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 7th, 2012, 6:16 pm

just the person i was looking for...lol, thanks..anyways, having used that new magnatec, i noticed a kinda grinding noise when driving, very slight noise...friend told me the oil was too thin...to put a treatment...u think thats the issue? thanks

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 7th, 2012, 7:26 pm

20/50 being too thin?

Can't say for sure but no body oil should cause a grinding noise unless there's something wrong before.

But seeing the age of the engine an engine restore treatment wouldn't hurt.

All your really need is a proper service and tune up, you must be getting terrible mileage with that shoddy service interval (not knocking you eh)

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 7th, 2012, 10:08 pm

to tell you the truth, i inherited this car last year...its in great condition,mechanically/interior/exterior..an is my #2 car..but i usually use the normal castrol 20/50 in the white bottle and never had any problems before......never felt the sputter and the noise before...started to notice these stuff after i changed to the magnatec(advice of a friend) and i was talking to some guys and they was saying to do a tune up as i posted above...i hate to have a car that is not working well....

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 8th, 2012, 12:11 am

Did the sputtering and noise start right after you used the Magnatec? I feel it's most likely just a coincidence, because of the lack of maintenance for so long. Start with the plugs, fuel and air filters, and try servicing the carburetor as rollingstock advised.

BTW rollingstock, the Bars cleaner you suggested, is it a blue and white aerosol can by chance?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

White can, red & blue writing.

Konartis i really believe that it's a coincidence.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 9th, 2012, 10:51 am

well servicing will be done this weekend...starting to hear a engine knock now..LOL!! ole car is trouble yes!! will def post back the results..lol

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 13th, 2012, 8:58 pm

ok..the filter was like sheit..lol, changed that...gas filter was changed, but i didnt change the spark plugs...i'm getting a rough idle lately also, could the plugs be causing that? and how do you adjust the idle on the carb? seeing two screws at the back, thinking one is the gas and the other is the air...any help on how to adjust?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 13th, 2012, 9:39 pm

^ Don't go fiddling with that yourself, difference between one or twice fulling gas for the week.

Plugs can cause the idle problem, also check plug wires.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 13th, 2012, 10:01 pm

nah i wasnt fiddling..lol, my job doesnt allow me to reach by the mechanic to check, most times i do these late at night....just wanted an idea on how to adjust...

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 14th, 2012, 5:36 pm

ok..just an update...took the car today...finished changing everything, filters, plugs, cleaned the carb...must say an absolute improvement, responds better, rough idle is gone...thanks for the help...will take it to PoS tomorrow for a High way run to open it up!

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 14th, 2012, 5:53 pm

^ Glad you got tru man, see why i told you don't go interfering with those screws, those are pre set from the factory anytime you need to change those settings is to mask an issue or fine tune your afr which shouldn't be done by someone knowledgeable.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 14th, 2012, 7:29 pm

See...and yuh wanted to blame the poor ole car. lol. But good man. Take it easy on the road.

I myself starting to get random rough idles on start up. Gonna check the plugs first. I installed new spark plugs at the beginning of March but the car has gotten heavy use since then, so I dunno. I'll probably clean the MAF as well.

p.s. anyone knows what size of spark plug socket is needed for QG15De BKR5E-11 plugs? And the avg price of one? I plan on using it with a 1/2" ratchet.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » May 15th, 2012, 5:37 pm

thanks guys....especially rolling stock, always giving great advice...car running like how i knw it to be when i first got it...being my #2 car, i neglected it a bit...but all is up to mark now!

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 15th, 2012, 8:51 pm

NR8 wrote:See...and yuh wanted to blame the poor ole car. lol. But good man. Take it easy on the road.

I myself starting to get random rough idles on start up. Gonna check the plugs first. I installed new spark plugs at the beginning of March but the car has gotten heavy use since then, so I dunno. I'll probably clean the MAF as well.

p.s. anyone knows what size of spark plug socket is needed for QG15De BKR5E-11 plugs? And the avg price of one? I plan on using it with a 1/2" ratchet.

isnt all spark plugs the same size...?? we use a 5/8 spark plug remover tool....does the job.
try a 5/8 depth socket.....should work... :wink:

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 15th, 2012, 9:10 pm

skylinechild wrote:isnt all spark plugs the same size...??

no...........
NR8 wrote:p.s. anyone knows what size of spark plug socket is needed for QG15De BKR5E-11 plugs? And the avg price of one? I plan on using it with a 1/2" ratchet.

can't remember the specific size right now, because my kit has both.
however according to NGK, It is 5/8"

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 15th, 2012, 9:46 pm

NR8 wrote:See...and yuh wanted to blame the poor ole car. lol. But good man. Take it easy on the road.

Beginning of march, honestly in that time frame there's no way you can foul up those plugs unless you have an even more serious problem with the vehicle running over rich or leaning out.

Random rough idle can be caused by dirty tb, egr valve or iacv, or any number of minor issues. My advice do the basics first, clean everything yourself and move from there.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 15th, 2012, 11:12 pm

thanks guys..

and yeah rs, was thinking it could be the throttle body that needed servicing so I guess I'll start from there. I never cleaned that or injectors since I swapped in the engine in January. I use Redline SI-1 about once a month to help with the injectors though.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am

^ A little secret, if your injectors are dirty those additives do diddly sheit, they're good to maintain clean injectors.

Anilmookram
Riding on 13's

Postby Anilmookram » November 5th, 2022, 8:18 pm

hi Guys I have a b13 engine on my car and the car start with 1 bounce and idling very well and suddenly the car stall when I start back, (it tumbling )for it to start I have to press now on the peddle to start and when I let go the peddle it stall again

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 5th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Getting sufficent fuel?
Could be bad pup, filters, leak on line, return line passing too kuch gas bsck to the tank.

Long time me eh thibk bout carb.

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » November 5th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Carb flooding

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”