TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 15729
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby De Dragon » July 15th, 2012, 3:21 pm

webb wrote:This so called government don't have a clue this doesnt surprise me the truth offends they lied they knew that only a matter of time that this property tax will be coming but wait gas sub will be gone too hold on......... but hey what do i know this governmet STEUPSSSS

Learn to read and understand. Howai said some form of the Property Tax needs to be re-introduced. No one has paid ANY form of property tax for close to 3 years.Gas subsidy will hurt short term, but we need to start thinking medium to long term. It's not as if it will be gone one Budget to a next, NO Geoverment is that suicidal.

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 15729
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby De Dragon » July 15th, 2012, 3:21 pm

webb wrote:This so called government don't have a clue this doesnt surprise me the truth offends they lied they knew that only a matter of time that this property tax will be coming but wait gas sub will be gone too hold on......... but hey what do i know this governmet STEUPSSSS

Learn to read and understand. Howai said some form of the Property Tax needs to be re-introduced. No one has paid ANY form of property tax for close to 3 years.Gas subsidy will hurt short term, but we need to start thinking medium to long term. It's not as if it will be gone one Budget to a next, NO Goverment is that suicidal.

User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9770
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby pete » July 15th, 2012, 4:08 pm

WRT fuel subsidy.. what ya feel the new fuel prices would be?

Diesel - $3
Super - $3.50
Premium - $4.50?

User avatar
nemisis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4288
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby nemisis » July 15th, 2012, 4:22 pm

pete wrote:WRT fuel subsidy.. what ya feel the new fuel prices would be?

Diesel - $3
Super - $3.50
Premium - $4.50?

don't matter once diesel gone up everything else gets an automatic price increase

User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9770
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby pete » July 15th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Everything won't double in price though.

I'd say 3-5% increase on goods. Maybe 15-25% transportation.

User avatar
altec
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 6:40 pm
Location: Land of Destruction

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby altec » July 15th, 2012, 4:28 pm

UML wrote:why is watson duke promoting the reintroduction of the property tax?,,,,is it that he is of the opinion that the majority of his members would not be affected......or.......would he use it as another reason/excuse to demand higher salaries?

:|

if everyone is taxed , their (Watson and his members)saleries could go up by...say 12000 a year. He is gambling on the fact that the p/tax would be way less than this, thus net increase paid to his members by everyone else

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11310
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby Habit7 » July 15th, 2012, 4:35 pm

I do believe property tax should be introduce to bring revenue into the teasury and to reduce the derelict properties that aesthetically scar our country.

I believe that the UNC and COP should apologise for taking a political stance rather than a national when they were not in gov't.

I believe maxis, taxis and legitimate transport vehicles to receive the subsidised diesel fuel prices. But personal use cars and pick-up trucks should pay a higher price.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13046
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby Dizzy28 » July 15th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Habit7 wrote:I do believe property tax should be introduce to bring revenue into the teasury and to reduce the derelict properties that aesthetically scar our country.

I believe that the UNC and COP should apologise for taking a political stance rather than a national when they were not in gov't.

I believe maxis, taxis and legitimate transport vehicles to receive the subsidised diesel fuel prices. But personal use cars and pick-up trucks should pay a higher price.


Not a bad idea but how do we police it. It already nigh impossible wrt to diesel bunkering.

User avatar
nemisis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4288
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby nemisis » July 15th, 2012, 5:36 pm

pete wrote:Everything won't double in price though.

I'd say 3-5% increase on goods. Maybe 15-25% transportation.

prices inflate and do not return to normalcy already without valid reason ( cement cough cough) so imagine how much it will increase when business have increase in transport and the associated ripple effects it will cause to blame.

User avatar
shaneelal
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1064
Joined: February 10th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby shaneelal » July 15th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
Habit7 wrote:I do believe property tax should be introduce to bring revenue into the teasury and to reduce the derelict properties that aesthetically scar our country.

I believe that the UNC and COP should apologise for taking a political stance rather than a national when they were not in gov't.

I believe maxis, taxis and legitimate transport vehicles to receive the subsidised diesel fuel prices. But personal use cars and pick-up trucks should pay a higher price.


Not a bad idea but how do we police it. It already nigh impossible wrt to diesel bunkering.


One option to regulate it, is to use something like a fleet card system, where the mileage and amount of diesel purchased can be recorded at time of purchase. All these vehicles would have to be inspected at least once a year where the reading on the Odometer will be verified. Of course there's always room for bobol and people messing with Odometer.

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11095
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 16th, 2012, 12:51 am

LISTEN TO THIS ONE ...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/_Ci ... 44786.html

Citizens eager to pay property tax'
By Carla Bridglal
Story Created: Jul 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jul 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM ECT
The population wants to pay land and building taxes, are demanding they be allowed to and are ashamed they cannot, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal has said.
But not a tax regime like that proposed by the People's National Movement's Property Tax Act of 2009.
"Segments of the population are very eager to pay their land and building taxes, at all strata. The commitment was to axe the property tax, not to abolish land and building taxes, so the population itself is very eager to pay taxes for land and building. In fact, there are some people in the upper echelons of society in some of the more bourgeois areas who are almost ashamed they are not paying land and building tax, so people are demanding that we (bring back) land and building taxes, but not the oppressive one (like the PNM's)," Moonilal said.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Moonilal told the Express that even though the People's Partnership had campaigned on an "axe the tax" platform, the "axing" referred to the former Patrick Manning administration's 2009 Act, which, Moonilal said, the Partnership was vehemently against. "We did promise that we would revise the land and building taxes regime, so after two years it is possible to look at the current model and not the (PNM model) to see (what we can do)," Moonilal said.
Yesterday the Sunday Express reported Finance Minister Larry Howai admitting that the country was losing revenue because property taxes were not being collected. He said he would review the tax to consider how to make it more efficient, effective and equitable.
Moonilal, who is also Government Chief Whip in the House of Representatives, acknowledged that businesses and individuals had not been paying land and building taxes because of ongoing debates over the matter.
"Minister Howai is determined to bring some conclusion and look at a land and building tax regime, but certainly not a property tax regime (like the one) which we believed to have been authoritarian, dictatorial and oppressive," he said.
He said there was ongoing discussion among Parliament's Legislative Review Committee, the Ministry of Finance, the Office of the Attorney General and other relevant departments to not only repeal the 2009 Act, but to reform and reintroduce a new land and building tax regime. He added that he hoped a conclusion would be met by September or October.
The Partnership's second largest member, the Congress of the People (COP), had launched the "Axe the Tax" campaign back in 2009/2010 to protest the Act. But it remained relatively mum on this development.
Attempts to reach Legal Affairs Minister and COP leader Prakash Ramadhar were unsuccessful. Vice-chairman of the party Vernon de Lima did say, in a brief telephone interview, however, that the party will "wait and see" what happens.
"You know the COP took a particular position on it, but to me (Howai's statement) was rather vague. If they do introduce or propose a tax, then the COP will definitely have an opinion to express," he said.

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11310
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby Habit7 » July 16th, 2012, 8:47 am

Image

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11095
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 16th, 2012, 7:37 pm

we should have a tuner poll to see who really yearing and wanting to pay property tax...as staed by our minister

User avatar
nemisis
punchin NOS
Posts: 4288
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby nemisis » July 16th, 2012, 8:36 pm

*$kїđž!™ wrote:we should have a tuner poll to see who really yearing and wanting to pay property tax...as staed by our minister

you using that OUR loosely

User avatar
The_Honourable
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: In the Land of Stupidity & Corruption

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby The_Honourable » October 7th, 2015, 11:21 pm

During the 2016 budget presentation, Finance Minister Colm Imbert said his Government will implement the Property Tax Act 2009 from January 2016 using old levels and old rates as a starting point. How is this tax calculated?


User avatar
The_Honourable
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: In the Land of Stupidity & Corruption

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby The_Honourable » October 10th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Fitzgerald Hinds on the property tax:


User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17790
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby sMASH » October 10th, 2015, 10:01 pm

F.s. 1vote asking price certificate of comfort for squatting land.

User avatar
janfar
punchin NOS
Posts: 3364
Joined: August 13th, 2004, 1:39 am
Location: studying pigonometry...

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby janfar » October 11th, 2015, 1:32 am

1444541519262.jpg

User avatar
The_Honourable
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: In the Land of Stupidity & Corruption

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby The_Honourable » October 17th, 2015, 3:55 pm

TAX MAN COMETH
By: Andre Bagoo

FINANCE Minister Colm Imbert yesterday said the State will hire “an army of young people” to be Value Added Tax (VAT) collectors in order to implement plans to make the collection of the tax more effective.

The Minister also disclosed that he is seeking legal advice on the question of whether fresh legislation is needed to allow the State to implement Property Tax which has been in abeyance in recent years.

Imbert was questioned on both matters by Opposition MPs as the Standing Finance Committee of the House of Representatives continued its examination of the Budget.

On VAT, Imbert was asked whether current staffing arrangements at the Ministry of Finance will be sufficient to implement current plans meant to result in the collection of an additional $6 billion in revenue.

“Does the Minister anticipate that can be properly collected with the same staffing,” Opposition Whip Dr Roodal Moonilal asked.

“Madam Speaker, we intend to implement the adjustments in the VAT regime from January 1, that is clearly stated in the Budget statement,” Imbert said.

“We will be hiring an army of young people, graduates and others and training them to do VAT collections...Between now and December 31, we will be reviewing the staffing requirements required to enhance collections and we will make appropriate adjustments to the allocation.” While a reduction of the VAT rate has been announced, VAT is to be re-introduced on items that were previously VAT-free. Moonilal said a list of which items will now have VAT is yet to be supplied by the Government. According to the Draft Estimates of Recurrent Expenditure, the initial allocation for the Inland Revenue Division for 2015 was $85 million. This was revised to $111 million, but the 2016 estimate is now $90 million, a decrease of $20 million.

Imbert also said the planned Revenue Authority is due to commence operations by September 30, 2016 under accelerated plans for implementation, meaning the allocation for that new entity would be reflected in documents for the next Budget.

In relation to Property Tax, Imbert said the State will be hiring, “another army of people” to do the valuations of properties all over the country. He suggested that recent aerial photography exercises may assist this process. He said the law has been in force, but not implemented due to Parliament amendments.

He said about one-third of properties have already been identified and levels and rates from 2009 may have to be used for properties already on the rolls.

“What’s going to happen is a combination of old levels and rates and then for new properties we will have to formulate a rate so there is some sort of equity,” Imbert said.

“In fact, an amendment may be required, that is the advice I have received and I am getting a second opinion on that as to whether we need to amend the legislation immediately in order to allow ourselves to implement the old levels and rates.” Imbert said the appointment of a procurement regulator, under new legislation, has been initiated by President Anthony Carmona and before the end of the year the new system of public procurement will be in operation.

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,218558.html

User avatar
zoom rader
TunerGod
Posts: 24890
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby zoom rader » October 17th, 2015, 3:59 pm

^^^ Most of those are going to be young PNM recruits.
Expect extreme bias if you look like a doubles vendor with a nice house.
Under PNM You must live in shack

User avatar
Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10728
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 2:24 am

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby Morpheus » October 17th, 2015, 7:24 pm

^^LoL. Keep it coming ZR......

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 15729
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby De Dragon » October 17th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Morpheus wrote:^^LoL. Keep it coming ZR......

He's being facetious but there is going to be bobol for sure. Imagine you getting ah $600.00 week, and ah man pay yuh ah cool $1500.00 to downgrade he property.

User avatar
pete
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 9770
Joined: April 18th, 2003, 1:19 pm
Location: Cruisin around in da GTi
Contact:

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby pete » October 17th, 2015, 11:37 pm

We need transparency. All property values should be visible online. I picked a random town in Florida and was able to see the values of properties at a valuation website. Once it's like that and you can query why your neighbour with a 15 house mansion is valued at less than your 2bedroom 1 bathroom bungalow all that bribing to get a lower valuation would stop. Have stiff penalties for undervaluing properties up to termination and full auditing to see if you were accepting bribes to lead to imprisonment.

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 15729
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby De Dragon » October 17th, 2015, 11:51 pm

I hope there is genuine consultation via surveys, town hall meetings, best practices etc, so it can really be an equitable process

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 27977
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 18th, 2015, 6:44 am

how would the property tax apply to squatters without comfort letters?

User avatar
zoom rader
TunerGod
Posts: 24890
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2015, 9:04 am

pete wrote:We need transparency. All property values should be visible online. I picked a random town in Florida and was able to see the values of properties at a valuation website. Once it's like that and you can query why your neighbour with a 15 house mansion is valued at less than your 2bedroom 1 bathroom bungalow all that bribing to get a lower valuation would stop. Have stiff penalties for undervaluing properties up to termination and full auditing to see if you were accepting bribes to lead to imprisonment.


Go on to any UK housing market net site and they will always show the tax rates payable.

But in trini your house will be assessed by some young PNM stooges and as I said if you look like you can sell doubles then its double tax for you.

User avatar
zoom rader
TunerGod
Posts: 24890
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2015, 9:06 am

De Dragon wrote:I hope there is genuine consultation via surveys, town hall meetings, best practices etc, so it can really be an equitable process


Will never happen, once you from a perceived UNC area expect to pay taxes with little in return.

Always remember PNM has a habit of not serving UNC areas

User avatar
*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11095
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Location: VIP SECTION

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 18th, 2015, 10:44 am

so all those ppl who get free hdc houses...would they be required to pay property tax too?

Can believe ppl voted for this.....imagine the middle class struggling to own a property and now having to pay taxes on it?.....plus subjective valuations by army of young people....hmmm makes no damn sense to me.....

All this govt concerned with is taxes.....I dunno how citizens can support this....

Also pensioners who worked hard all their life and living in ok homes .....would pensioners still have to pay taxes?...

how is the rate calculated......

value: $1 000 000 x rate of 3% = $30 000.....

Is this how it works?....it cant be....could anybody explain...

User avatar
zoom rader
TunerGod
Posts: 24890
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2015, 11:43 am

*$kїđž![TRADE MARK SIGN] wrote:so all those ppl who get free hdc houses...would they be required to pay property tax too?

Can believe ppl voted for this.....imagine the middle class struggling to own a property and now having to pay taxes on it?.....plus subjective valuations by army of young people....hmmm makes no damn sense to me.....

All this govt concerned with is taxes.....I dunno how citizens can support this....

Also pensioners who worked hard all their life and living in ok homes .....would pensioners still have to pay taxes?...

how is the rate calculated......

value: $1 000 000 x rate of 3% = $30 000.....

Is this how it works?....it cant be....could anybody explain...


I did tired hard to warn you all.

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11310
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Wait..WHAT!!! Property Tax is back?

Postby Habit7 » October 18th, 2015, 12:15 pm

*$kїđž!™ wrote:so all those ppl who get free hdc houses...would they be required to pay property tax too?

Who got free HDC houses?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apole69, Gladiator, Google [Bot] and 59 guests