Forums

Driving in the USA

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

HiPSiTSi
Ricer

Re: Driving in the USA

Postby HiPSiTSi » December 1st, 2015, 3:00 pm

I just moved here from Texas and I'll make it real easy for you.

You can drive for 90 days on your TT permit.

Follow ALL traffic laws, which means: Stop completely at all stop signs and red lights, use signals 100 feet before turning/merging, don't go more than 5mph residential/10mph interstate over the speed limit, right on red unless posted otherwise, do not try to push the nose of the car out into traffic, double yellow line on highways is no passing, stripes on your side means passing is permitted on your side (and vise versa), do not drive on the shoulder, do not use your horn like they do here for everyone will hate you and flip you the bird (lol), if you see a car driving with it's lights off DO NOT flash your lights off and on for lotsa gangs drive with them off waiting for someone to flash them so they can beat you or kill you, as per gang initiations (seriously), don't tail-gate as whoever rearends someone is legally at fault and you will be "brake checked", if a cop or trooper is speeding do not match their speed, as they're luring you into a speeding ticket, you see police or ambulance or fire truck lights slow down and pull over to the side for it is a hefty fine if you do not, (even if you're on the other side of the road) do not park wherever you feel, only in parking spaces for you'll get towed and impound fees can be up to a couple grand (US money, not TT), if you pull to the side of the road make sure to use your hazards, and I think that basically covers it. On a highway the inside lane is for passing, on an interstate it is the fast lane. Oh, and if you are turning right, make sure you're in the far right lane, same for left. If you try turning left, or right, from any other lane besides the closest one someone will hit you, on purpose. Have a great trip.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 1st, 2015, 3:06 pm

You forgot.the most important one.
NEVER OVERTAKE A STOPPED SCHOOL BUS

HiPSiTSi
Ricer

Postby HiPSiTSi » December 1st, 2015, 3:12 pm

cinco wrote:You forgot.the most important one.
NEVER OVERTAKE A STOPPED SCHOOL BUS

Ah, yes. Thank you. The cops will hunt you down if you do. Seriously.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 1st, 2015, 3:35 pm

If it's a normal road I think you even need to stop if the bus is going the other direction. I passed one in Chicago going the other way as it stopped and a stop sign was coming out the side and the person behind me stopped.

wrt the sim card. Only time will tell, it should stay active but the credit only stays valid for 90 days and they supposed to automatically take out the $3 at the start of the month. I guess if there's no money at the start of the month they will disconnect the sim card but I'm hoping that otherwise it works. Gonna check mine now to see the status.

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » December 1st, 2015, 3:39 pm

Not sure if Google maps or waze does this, but my Garmin went off like a mad man while approaching a school Zone around 230pm.. scared the crap out of me...
Wired thing is I find myself slowing down in school zone here now.

ado15mk3
Trinituner Peong

Postby ado15mk3 » December 1st, 2015, 8:25 pm

nobody ever hear of OsmAnd [osmand.net]?
no data required. just download maps and go. used a couple times and works really good and even has tool roads. free version allows 10 free map downloads. each state is a separate download.

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » December 2nd, 2015, 11:00 am

Aside from using a SIM with minutes and data, anybody ever used a hotspot device with just a data plan alone?
If so, any particular carrier/plan?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 2nd, 2015, 1:25 pm

Thing is you would have to purchase a hotspot device to do that. Unless the ones digicel/bmobile supply locally are unlocked but why all that trouble when you can just get a sim card and use your phone as a hotspot?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 2nd, 2015, 1:38 pm

so pete if i buy that $3 a month simcard from tmobile and just load a $36 us on it one time.....it wont expire for the year even i dont use it? to the best of your knowledge

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 2nd, 2015, 1:50 pm

The credit expires after 90 days. But you can top up online or you can have it auto top up from your credit card every so many days.

To enable to data plan you also need to have the tmobile app on your phone and purchase it using that when you are in the US. I did it as I landed in Houston last month and it worked fine.

Minimum top up is $10 and once every 3 months would mean you need to spend at least $40/year.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm

okay nice! good to know!

ill keep a s5 or something as a dedicated phone just for my us trips

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 2nd, 2015, 2:14 pm

I bought the sim off amazon and had it delivered to my hotel. The sim starter kit is $5 right now and it costs more than that in a store. Comes with a nano sim and adapters to micro and standard sim so was really a great value to me.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 2nd, 2015, 2:16 pm

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 2nd, 2015, 11:00 pm

Yup thats what I bought.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 8th, 2015, 2:21 pm

just rented a 7 seater minivan through lazzari

costing me $140 us for 2 days

includes

Included
Concession fee recovery
Additional Driver Fee
Loss Damage Waiver
Taxes
Liability Insurance Supplement
Customer Facility Charge
Rental Surcharge
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
Energy Surcharge
Unlimited Free Miles Included

renting through expedia would be like $20 USD more as well as it is limited mileage and extra cost for extra driver

lazzari work nice

didnt even hadda go in
emailed them info, they email me voucher

boom bang

and doh hadda deal with annoying US rental car reps who trying to upsell

THANKS XPLODE

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » December 8th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Renting a corolla for 2 weeks in January for 230US

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 8th, 2015, 2:32 pm

also got my garmin gps today

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » December 8th, 2015, 2:44 pm

ABA Trading LTD wrote:just rented a 7 seater minivan through lazzari

costing me $140 us for 2 days

includes

Included
Concession fee recovery
Additional Driver Fee
Loss Damage Waiver
Taxes
Liability Insurance Supplement
Customer Facility Charge
Rental Surcharge
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
Energy Surcharge
Unlimited Free Miles Included

renting through expedia would be like $20 USD more as well as it is limited mileage and extra cost for extra driver

lazzari work nice

didnt even hadda go in
emailed them info, they email me voucher

boom bang

and doh hadda deal with annoying US rental car reps who trying to upsell

THANKS XPLODE

yeah man no problem

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » December 8th, 2015, 4:09 pm

pete wrote:Renting a corolla for 2 weeks in January for 230US

What kinda driving? Good price but If you doing plenty miles its better to get a car with a bigger tank if required.

100 miles between gas stations can be tricky out there

HiPSiTSi
Ricer

Postby HiPSiTSi » December 8th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Rent from Enterprise by the week. Or, I do, at least. Unlimited mileage and all that.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 16th, 2019, 11:43 am

Bumping an old thread.
Anyone used that Lazarri and Sampson service r.e. Hertz recently??

Need a car for two days in Orlando next month and was wondering what options are reasonable.

Going up on a Wednesday to MCO and staying on International Drive. Some Family from Ft Lauderdale are coming on Friday to meet us. They have a 7 seater so I only need a car for the two days before they come.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 16th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Bumping an old thread.

Need a car for two days in Orlando next month and was wondering what options are reasonable.

Going up on a Wednesday to MCO and staying on International Drive. Some Family from Ft Lauderdale are coming on Friday to meet us. They have a 7 seater so I only need a car for the two days before they come.
Use Uber...it's cheaper and more convenient

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » July 17th, 2019, 12:10 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Anyone used that Lazarri and Sampson service r.e. Hertz recently??

Nah,
Booked with Alamo through CAL a few times.
Also rented from some "interesting" places via expedia and the like.
Still to check out turo. Heard good things.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 17th, 2019, 9:06 am

Gladiator wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:Bumping an old thread.

Use Uber...it's cheaper and more convenient

Had it been me alone I would use Uber.
However my 3yr old son is with me and as such I would need a car seat. UberX Car Seat is typically $10 more than Uber so that extra $10 adds up each time.

Anyhows called Lazarri and Sampson yesterday and for two days for a Ford Focus Hatch they quoted $289 (with car seat).

Same car on Hertz's website is $134 with all the same add ons.

Last question for you guys who rent often - which insurances and add ons are must haves?
$134 includes Loss Damage Waiver and Liability Insurance Supplement.

The remaining add ons that can be purchased are Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage and Premium Emergency Roadside Assistance.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » July 17th, 2019, 9:47 am

Yes, I used Lazzari to rent a vehicle for a trip i took over Carnival this year.
Picked up in MiA and drove to orlando and back, 7 days total. Total cost was about $420 inclusive of all the insurances.
The vehicle itself was a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. Oh boy, what a vehicle, miles of room and had an in built navigation system and satellite radio which i did not have to pay for additionally.
I would definitely use lazzari again, great service and slightly cheaper than the quotes I myself was getting trying directly. Also you get a voucher that you hand off to the rental company, I had no problems with them.

Just to add, I believe in taking the additional insurance as it prevents an extra hassle in the event something should happen. In the past I did not and had a minor incident..... ended up having to pay about 900 US out of pocket (even with mastercard gold coverage).

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » July 17th, 2019, 10:32 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
Had it been me alone I would use Uber.
However my 3yr old son is with me and as such I would need a car seat. UberX Car Seat is typically $10 more than Uber so that extra $10 adds up each time.

Anyhows called Lazarri and Sampson yesterday and for two days for a Ford Focus Hatch they quoted $289 (with car seat).

Same car on Hertz's website is $134 with all the same add ons.

Last question for you guys who rent often - which insurances and add ons are must haves?
$134 includes Loss Damage Waiver and Liability Insurance Supplement.

The remaining add ons that can be purchased are Personal Accident Insurance/Personal Effects Coverage and Premium Emergency Roadside Assistance.

Check alamo.com - from a wednesday - friday is costing about $108 including the car seat ($10/day) for a nissan versa.

If you booking with a major credit card, those usually have accident coverage included so you can decline all extras. The rental companies try to sell you all sorts of add-ons

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » July 17th, 2019, 10:44 am

^ Read the fine print of the credit card insurance coverage carefully. Atleast with MasterCard, it will cover the cost of the rental vehicle but not that of the cost to fix another vehicle or property

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Use the Hertz rate 2 on their website. That includes LDW and SLI which is all you need. Also check out the adrenaline series, sometimes ya could get a hemi Challenger for slightly more than a Corolla.

white e90
Ricer

Postby white e90 » July 17th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Have a question- if driving to Orlando from MIA and used the sun pass lanes, what is the cost / fine? Also the average cost of tolls using the turnpike?

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » July 18th, 2019, 9:25 am

The total cost I think using the turnpike from Mia to Orlando is about $14 one way. Google, 'florida turnpike toll calculator' you should get the exact charges and route.
If in a rental there will be a sunpass transponder thing already installed, so you don't have to get one. Although it is cheaper to purchase one from a walgreens or something and stick it on the windshield. The rental company charges you the cost of the toll plus a daily rental fee to use their pass. I think if you do not have a sunpass and go through one of the cashless toll lanes, it would count as a violation and a penalty will be sent to who the car is registered to, so in that case the rental company will receive it and bill you along with some bigger penalty fee.
The drive is not from Mia to Orl, just boring. The rest stops are nice to stop and stretch your legs, eat something, use washroom. Cruising and stopping a couple times should take about 4 hrs.
There are more scenic routes you can take and also avoid tolls

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”