Forums

Pushed to leave Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Pushed to leave Trinidad

Postby stikid09 » September 25th, 2018, 10:53 am

EVERY MORNING at 4 am, I read the card my daughter, Ijanaya, left on my pillow on July 30, the night she left Trinidad. Her words help my broken heart to face another day.

On a good day, I convince myself that it was probably inevitable that Ijanaya and my son Zino would have migrated to other countries because I come from a family of at least three generations of immigrants. Maybe migrating is in our blood. But most days I am consumed with sadness – and sometimes even bitterness – because I blame this country for pushing my children away.

This is not a country that values its young people. I feel that every time I step into prison and teach young men who fell through the cracks of our education system.

I saw this when my daughter returned from Florida with a fashion degree six years ago and couldn’t catch a break – even though she had earned accolades for fashion portfolios deemed the most marketable in her school.

When she found no real opportunities in fashion here, she fell in love with library science and earned a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University.

Ijanaya loved this country and fought every day to make it a better place. She was environmentally conscious and into recycling. She even designed an environmentally friendly 30th birthday party that featured solar lights, discarded rum barrels for tables and pallets she had made into chairs. She constantly tried to give back to this country.

She designed the Port of Spain Prison library, with a book tree on the lemon and blue walls – colours that she chose. She supported all my prison work, and even asked the prison to host my book launch, for which she ordered handmade paper from Katmandu and handwrote most of the 100 programmes with some help from my assistants. She then burned the edges to make every programme unique. Ijanaya made everything special.

Earlier this year, perhaps in a moment of despair; perhaps in a moment of adventure, she sent a resume for a job fair in London, and got an unexpected interview and job offer from an international school almost immediately.

She hadn’t applied to the school that noticed her qualifications; she never dreamed of living in Africa, but an international school in Khartoum made her feel so special, she accepted an offer to be an elementary librarian. She lives now in Khartoum, where she now feels appreciated, and I eagerly wait to see the contributions she will make to her school and to Sudan.

And of course there is the story of my son, stabbed at dusk on Rust Street one Carnival Monday, left to die on the street if it hadn’t been for a kind, anonymous soul who put his bleeding body with its nearly severed arm in a car to take him to the Port of Spain hospital where amazing plastic surgeons sewed up his face that resembled raw meat.

A knife wound missed his lungs by about an inch. Police stationed in the hospital refused to take a report when they heard him call certain names. St Clair police said they were too busy with a murder. They did nothing. His departure from Trinidad was a matter of life and death. Zino, who once loved Trinidad more than anyone I have ever known, lives in Seattle now.

Every morning when I put Ijanaya’s card back in its envelope, I remember the message that she left, thanking me for being her mother. She asks me not to cry because “it will never be goodbye” but I do tear up when I walk out the door alone, trying to do my best for this country as I have always done. I can’t pretend that I don’t miss her. I know I could have done nothing more to instill love for this country in my children. I remember the day, not long before she left, when she said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t get the feeling that I needed from this country.”

My children remember the pommerac tree in my yard where they built a tree house. They remember playing under my desk at the Express when the housekeeper didn’t show up and visits from SuperBlue and David Rudder. They remember a happier Trinidad, and I pray every day they cling to those memories as they make their way in the world. I hold my head up only because I know I did my very best in spite of this country.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2018/09/24/pushed ... -trinidad/

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Pushed to leave Trinidad

Postby Rovin » September 25th, 2018, 11:10 am

have plenty ppl that felt this way decades ago & left for greener pastures , yes they ketch they ass in d beginning but eventually settled down & leading a much better life than they did here .....

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 25th, 2018, 12:30 pm

stikid09 wrote:EVERY MORNING at 4 am, I read the card my daughter, Ijanaya, left on my pillow on July 30, the night she left Trinidad. Her words help my broken heart to face another day.

On a good day, I convince myself that it was probably inevitable that Ijanaya and my son Zino would have migrated to other countries because I come from a family of at least three generations of immigrants. Maybe migrating is in our blood. But most days I am consumed with sadness – and sometimes even bitterness – because I blame this country for pushing my children away.

This is not a country that values its young people. I feel that every time I step into prison and teach young men who fell through the cracks of our education system.

I saw this when my daughter returned from Florida with a fashion degree six years ago and couldn’t catch a break – even though she had earned accolades for fashion portfolios deemed the most marketable in her school.

When she found no real opportunities in fashion here, she fell in love with library science and earned a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University.

Ijanaya loved this country and fought every day to make it a better place. She was environmentally conscious and into recycling. She even designed an environmentally friendly 30th birthday party that featured solar lights, discarded rum barrels for tables and pallets she had made into chairs. She constantly tried to give back to this country.

She designed the Port of Spain Prison library, with a book tree on the lemon and blue walls – colours that she chose. She supported all my prison work, and even asked the prison to host my book launch, for which she ordered handmade paper from Katmandu and handwrote most of the 100 programmes with some help from my assistants. She then burned the edges to make every programme unique. Ijanaya made everything special.

Earlier this year, perhaps in a moment of despair; perhaps in a moment of adventure, she sent a resume for a job fair in London, and got an unexpected interview and job offer from an international school almost immediately.

She hadn’t applied to the school that noticed her qualifications; she never dreamed of living in Africa, but an international school in Khartoum made her feel so special, she accepted an offer to be an elementary librarian. She lives now in Khartoum, where she now feels appreciated, and I eagerly wait to see the contributions she will make to her school and to Sudan.

And of course there is the story of my son, stabbed at dusk on Rust Street one Carnival Monday, left to die on the street if it hadn’t been for a kind, anonymous soul who put his bleeding body with its nearly severed arm in a car to take him to the Port of Spain hospital where amazing plastic surgeons sewed up his face that resembled raw meat.

A knife wound missed his lungs by about an inch. Police stationed in the hospital refused to take a report when they heard him call certain names. St Clair police said they were too busy with a murder. They did nothing. His departure from Trinidad was a matter of life and death. Zino, who once loved Trinidad more than anyone I have ever known, lives in Seattle now.

Every morning when I put Ijanaya’s card back in its envelope, I remember the message that she left, thanking me for being her mother. She asks me not to cry because “it will never be goodbye” but I do tear up when I walk out the door alone, trying to do my best for this country as I have always done. I can’t pretend that I don’t miss her. I know I could have done nothing more to instill love for this country in my children. I remember the day, not long before she left, when she said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t get the feeling that I needed from this country.”

My children remember the pommerac tree in my yard where they built a tree house. They remember playing under my desk at the Express when the housekeeper didn’t show up and visits from SuperBlue and David Rudder. They remember a happier Trinidad, and I pray every day they cling to those memories as they make their way in the world. I hold my head up only because I know I did my very best in spite of this country.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2018/09/24/pushed ... -trinidad/
some of us can't even afford to go tobago

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » September 25th, 2018, 3:34 pm

trinidad too backwards because of visionless people at the top

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 25th, 2018, 3:36 pm

TBH what really did her daughter expect coming back to Trinidad with a Fashion degree?

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » September 25th, 2018, 4:33 pm

I remember her writing abt her daughter when she was younger.
Its nice she got a job. Nothing to moan n cry abt.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 25th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Me eh think anywhere in the world truly safe nuh. Just look at what's happening is 1st World countries like Canada, Sweden and France. And doh talk about the US, if the crazies eh stealing plane they blowing yuh head off.

But she's right, the decay in T&T is advanced and getting worse. Long time you could say once you stay out of hotspots like Beetham, Laventille etc. yuh o.k. But just today I'm reading about some people in C3 Center that were held up as they were heading back to their car...and the mall has security eh.

Unless you're a big boy or a Government Kunte, is your arse tuh ketch...:|

Monkey Man
Riding on 18's

Postby Monkey Man » September 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm

My Uncle Mason left here in the early 90s to go New York.

Man still living in a basement in Liberty.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 25th, 2018, 5:06 pm

hydroep wrote:Me eh think anywhere in the world truly safe nuh. Just look at what's happening is 1st World countries like Canada, Sweden and France. And doh talk about the US, if the crazies eh stealing plane they blowing yuh head off.

But she's right, the decay in T&T is advanced and getting worse. Long time you could say once you stay out of hotspots like Beetham, Laventille etc. yuh o.k. But just today I'm reading about some people in C3 Center that were held up as they were heading back to their car...and the mall has security eh.

You like many trinis, need to step outside of Trinidad and see how the rest of the world is progressing while we're regressing.

You call some countries there, Canada, Sweden, France and the US.....all exponentially safer in all aspects compared to Trinidad. Look at the crime stats in those countries, in fact, look at their justice system and recourse when wronged.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » September 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Daran wrote:
hydroep wrote:Me eh think anywhere in the world truly safe nuh. Just look at what's happening is 1st World countries like Canada, Sweden and France. And doh talk about the US, if the crazies eh stealing plane they blowing yuh head off.

You like many trinis, need to step outside of Trinidad and see how the rest of the world is progressing while we're regressing.

You call some countries there, Canada, Sweden, France and the US.....all exponentially safer in all aspects compared to Trinidad. Look at the crime stats in those countries, in fact, look at their justice system and recourse when wronged.

SMH...take a good look at some snippets fm some countries u call dey...

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » September 25th, 2018, 5:47 pm

The feeling of safety and comfort in Brampton and Orlando is yet to be felt in Trinidad. We felt that way about ,10 -12 years ago but that's just a memory now. Sad Indeed is the path TNT is on presently.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 25th, 2018, 6:36 pm

for real yes

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » September 25th, 2018, 6:57 pm

ismithx wrote:trinidad too backwards because of visionless people at the top

LOL!

Those at the top are nothing but a reflection of the backwardness that exists up and down the totem pole.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 25th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Miktay wrote:
Daran wrote:

LMFAO you do realize that those are exaggerated and not the norm.

Canada a country with almost 30 times our population had 500 murders per year. That's equivalent to Trinidad having 20 murders per year.

Oh and if we had Sweden's murder rate we'd have 20 murders per year.

Want to know why these countries are SIGNIFICANTLY safer? Because their police and justice systems work.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » September 25th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Daran wrote:
Miktay wrote:
Daran wrote:

Canada a country with almost 30 times our population had 500 murders per year. That's equivalent to Trinidad having 20 murders per year.

Want to know why these countries are SIGNIFICANTLY safer? Because their police and justice systems work.

Son...u really have no idea what ur talking about.

Sweden’s rape per capita has been amongst the highest in the world since 2012 per the United Nations. That’s not an ‘isolated incident’.

Sweden is a surprising entry in this list. This is considering the fact that it is one of the developed countries of the world, with women liberalization as a top agenda in its social development. However, the fact that it has about 64 cases of sexual assault per 100.000 population belies the fact that is a developed country. This is from the reports of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). According to this in 2012, Sweden had 66 cases of reported rapes per 100,000 population, as per the data are given by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention. This was the biggest number reported to the UNODC in 2012.

https://www.trendrr.net/13049/countries ... /#4_Sweden

And downtown Paris iza ghetto. Beggars and homeless people are everywhere. To combat the Parisian crime wave and terrorism heavily armed police and security guards are in every single hotel and shop. You have to go thru 3 security checks to visit the Eiffel Tower.

U really need to travel and see what the world is actually like before spouting such ignorant nonsense.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 25th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Allyuh talking about this murder rate like if its innocent people getting killed. Yes there is a tiny portion that were innocent but most murders are gang related.

The legalization of marijuana will probably eliminate 75% of murders in this country but you need a leader with a vision. The current PNM is too backwards and dotish

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » September 25th, 2018, 9:19 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Allyuh talking about this murder rate like if its innocent people getting killed. Yes there is a tiny portion that were innocent but most murders are gang related.

The legalization of marijuana will probably eliminate 75% of murders in this country but you need a leader with a vision. The current PNM is too backwards and dotish

That is a very frightening statement given that we at 393 murders for 3/4 of the year!
Not sure how you connect the dots with marijuana and murders though, I would think it's more of a South American origin.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » September 25th, 2018, 9:25 pm

ismithx wrote:trinidad too backwards because of visionless people at the top

Exactly..... and some of us refer to them as visionaries when all they did was copy what they saw in other countries, especially when traveling to first world countries was not as common as it is now and we did not have cable TV.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 25th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Miktay wrote:
Daran wrote:
Miktay wrote:
Daran wrote:

Son...u really have no idea what ur talking about.

Sweden’s rape per capita has been amongst the highest in the world since 2012 per the United Nations. That’s not an ‘isolated incident’.

Sweden is a surprising entry in this list. This is considering the fact that it is one of the developed countries of the world, with women liberalization as a top agenda in its social development. However, the fact that it has about 64 cases of sexual assault per 100.000 population belies the fact that is a developed country. This is from the reports of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). According to this in 2012, Sweden had 66 cases of reported rapes per 100,000 population, as per the data are given by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention. This was the biggest number reported to the UNODC in 2012.

<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.trendrr.net/13049/countries-with-highest-rape-crime-famous-global-statistics/#4_Sweden" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>trendrr</span><span>.</span><span>net</span><span>/</span><span>13049</span><span>/</span><span>countries</span><span>-</span><span>with</span><span>-</span><span>highest</span><span>-</span><span>rape</span><span>-</span><span>crime</span><span>-</span><span>famous</span><span>-</span><span>global</span><span>-</span><span>statistics</span><span>/#</span><span>4</span><span>_</span><span>Sweden</span></a>

And downtown Paris iza ghetto. Beggars and homeless people are everywhere. To combat the Parisian crime wave and terrorism heavily armed police and security guards are in every single hotel and shop. You have to go thru 3 security checks to visit the Eiffel Tower.

U really need to travel and see what the world is actually like before spouting such ignorant nonsense.

I've been to Paris many times, saw girls walking their dogs 12am at night like normal.

You need to understand something I've been saying, in all first world countries there is a police force and justice system that works. It does wonders in discouraging crime. Also rape is hard to compare across nations for many reasons. One especially in Trinidad I know 3 girls personally who have been raped. Not one reported because they feared repercussions, also different laws around rape lead to different statistics.

Trinidad is unsafe, Sweden, Canada and France are MUCH safer countries. Visit them, you'll love them.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 25th, 2018, 11:23 pm

I can attest for BOTH Canada and Orlando, you really do feel safer, in Orlando for instance they really know about tourism and security, by evening you can see a marked police presence, with cars parked in hotel parking lots and officers patrolling. Not to mention officers parked by traffic light intersections and outside the car observing the flow of traffic. Even during the day, in addition to mall security, you will see officers county sheriff or state walking around.
I was in Florida when the Casey Anthony debacle was unfolding and it was amazing to see the police canvasing the streets with flyers and manning desk in the mall for persons with information. Given how many persons have gone missing I don't think I've seen police in Trinidad conduct themselves in this manner. The only time I saw police patrolling was during the time of Panday and then with Gibbs and Ewatski...saw them actively patrolling the malls and stuff.....

In Orlando you can literally be coming to the hotel at 1:30pm after shopping and be fine, just call a taxi, hell the stores or the mall will gladly offer to call one for you....I don't think we have that service here.

With respect to Canada, I know folks who leave their doors unlocked with no fear....fact. Again you could be using public transport into the night and not be fearful.

It was so different such a wonderful eye opening experience, still enjoy it when I go up.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 26th, 2018, 6:35 am

Numb3r4,

Miktay has never left Trinidad, he has no clue how much safer other countries are.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » September 26th, 2018, 6:53 am

Daran wrote:Numb3r4,

Miktay has never left Trinidad, he has no clue how much safer other countries are.

Son... u have no idea what ur talking about....

Was in Paris last year. While there two women had their throats slit at the metro stadium and they found an unexploded bomb in a backpack outside a football stadium.

Large European cities are not as safe as they once were. London police for example are the subject of running jokes.

Anyone who travels would know that...
Last edited by Miktay on September 26th, 2018, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 26th, 2018, 7:06 am

Miktay wrote:

Trust me I do, otherwise only an ignorant fool would have the views you do. You don't travel, and if you do you're a paranoid traveller who never ventures outside the confines of your resort or shopping mall.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » September 26th, 2018, 7:10 am

Daran wrote:
Miktay wrote:

Trust me I do, otherwise only an ignorant fool would have the views you do. You don't travel, and if you do you're a paranoid traveller who never ventures outside the confines of your resort or shopping mall.

Only the ignorant believe in hysterical hearsay...but if I want to believe in tourist propaganda u can always migrate and done all the ole talk

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » September 26th, 2018, 7:14 am

allyuh arguing and boasting about foreign countries etc. it changes nothing here. just frustrating the mindset.

.:PROZAC:..
punchin NOS

Postby .:PROZAC:.. » September 26th, 2018, 7:24 am

Leave if you can.
My parents and some cousins still there fighting the good fight. We got robbed 4 times living in sleepy lil Barrackpore in the 90s.
You can try and stay away from hotspots as much as possible but crime comes looking for you and just pray it's the car they coming for and will spare your life.
My wife and I moved to Brampton July of this year and there has been a spike in crime but they doing something about it, following up, putting the message out there.
It's not about where is better is what you can deal with. I went from travelling home alone 7pm from sando in standard 3 to locking up the gate before dusk. Things got bad.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 26th, 2018, 8:18 am

.:PROZAC:.. wrote:Leave if you can.
My parents and some cousins still there fighting the good fight. We got robbed 4 times living in sleepy lil Barrackpore in the 90s.
You can try and stay away from hotspots as much as possible but crime comes looking for you and just pray it's the car they coming for and will spare your life.
My wife and I moved to Brampton July of this year and there has been a spike in crime but they doing something about it, following up, putting the message out there.
It's not about where is better is what you can deal with. I went from travelling home alone 7pm from sando in standard 3 to locking up the gate before dusk. Things got bad.

My point exactly. First world countries don't let sheit get to anywhere near the levels of crime we accept in Trinidad.

Mitkay,

How is it tourist propaganda if I've lived in many of those countries and see for myself how much safer they are? Someone on this board posted something about streets in London even police don't go, I've lived in London for months and there is NOTHING even close to that, London is extremely extremely safe.

Please get out of Trinidad and see the world, you'll see third world countries where basic things like road infrastructure, policing, health care and water supple far exceed ours. I'm not bashing our country, I just want lies about the world to stop. It does us no good if we say France worse than us when that's simply NOT true in the slightest. We need to accept reality otherwise we'll never improve.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » September 26th, 2018, 8:19 am

If you can leave, go

It will be hard at first but, gets better

My cus left here with TTD400k 10 years ago, Today he own 2 apartments in West palm by the sea and living far more comfortable that he was in Trinidad.

If he ever misses home he books a ticket and visit

He said many times if he stayed here he would still ketching tail here

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » September 26th, 2018, 8:25 am

Agreed fully. In the process of organizing my stuff to leave this God forsaken place. I've been robbed more times than I can count. Had surgery from getting stabbed.
Travelled the world and everywhere is better than here.
Infrastructure is terrible here and the leadership is pathetic. Imagine in my house I have 16 cameras and still don't feel secure. This country is a mess

Philippa
Ricer

Postby Philippa » September 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

jhonnieblue wrote:Agreed fully. In the process of organizing my stuff to leave this God forsaken place. I've been robbed more times than I can count. Had surgery from getting stabbed.
Travelled the world and everywhere is better than here.
Infrastructure is terrible here and the leadership is pathetic. Imagine in my house I have 16 cameras and still don't feel secure. This country is a mess

Omg this is so true. Imagine Trinis think Brazil is a poor country. But I was shocked by how amazing their roads are. Roads in the back of no where paved perfectly, I rarely ever encountered a pot hole. But in Trinidad our major highway is a disgrace.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”