question about 4k tvs

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

question about 4k tvs

Postby philliprock » March 4th, 2019, 11:25 am

ive seen a 4k tv and the colors/resolutions are stunning :shock:
ive also noticed there isnt alot of 4k blu rays available in trinidad, (imagine the cost of 4k blu rays) much less of websites having them. i think only netfilx has a handful of meger 4k movies/tv shows.

now, since mostly a wider variety of movies and tv shows are in HD or FullHD, would it be more wiser to buy a FullHD tv rather than a 4k tv? :roll:

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: question about 4k tvs

Postby Les Bain » March 4th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Think long term OP.
My household's first HD TV is over 10 years old and still going; i thought it was too much back then because we were running Flow and DVDs.

Then eventually we started hooking a laptop to it to run HD movies, and now it streams everything of a Roku box. Don't limit yourself because you don't have access to 4k right now.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » March 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm

i have a 720p tv that looking better than most of them 4k tv.

doh get fool with resolution.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 4th, 2019, 12:53 pm

paid_influencer wrote:i have a 720p tv that looking better than most of them 4k tv.

lolwut

Resolution makes a big difference

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » March 4th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Netflix streams certain titles in 4k, so does Youtube.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » March 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Tube tv ftw...

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » March 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm

4k is a scam.
720p is fine

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » March 4th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:lolwut

color accuracy makes a bigger difference.

a cheap 4k panel still looks like a cheap panel

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » March 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm

paid_influencer wrote:

Some arguments could be made about gaming monitors and the lack of need for a 4k one but a TV is another deal, especially taking the size into consideration.

Just do your research based on your current needs/wants. There is tonnes of info out there to make a properly informed decision rather than having to rely on some special 2nrs inside here.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » March 4th, 2019, 1:42 pm

i is one ah dem people who watch zeetv whole day, so ymmv

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » March 4th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Watch in 720p then 1440p on something over 55"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxLY2CTnuZI&t=

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » March 4th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Les Bain wrote:Think long term OP.
My household's first HD TV is over 10 years old and still going; i thought it was too much back then because we were running Flow and DVDs.

Then eventually we started hooking a laptop to it to run HD movies, and now it streams everything of a Roku box. Don't limit yourself because you don't have access to 4k right now.

Same here- I bought a 28" 'HD' Samsung back in 2016, at the time it was expensive for what it is but to this day the image quality is excellent and it now lives wall mounted in the bedroom- only real downside is lack of USB port but have Chromecast & Cable connected..

As the 'main' TV I have another Samsung (48" maybe) 4K and the resolution is excellent on HD feeds, plus on DVD/Bluray but my Blue ray player has an upscaler for older movies.

The only thing I find is dark scenes the black/dark areas always look a bit pix-elated regardless of the media source on both TV's.

At the end of the day get what you feel works best for you- in 10 years time you may still be happy with it.

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

Postby philliprock » March 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

paid_influencer wrote:

you mean HDR?

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

Postby philliprock » March 4th, 2019, 3:59 pm

I was thinking to buy a nice TV for meh bedroom for d night when ah man done wuk hard, alil HD movie or a south park/family guy/Simpsons/Conan O'Brien/Fallon. a nice 43" LG (I doh truss Samsung)

there are so many options when buying a TV in todays time, back then in the 90s-mid 00s it was so simple and I dunno how Sharp TVs went sour, I think the company was bought over from hisense.

I'm not on gaming monitors tho.. not my jamz

also I think HDR is a good component to have in a TV since it deals with contrast/color.

another gripe is d amount a money for ah 43inch tv... I could easily save a grand and buy a 50/55" TV...

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm

^ yuh saying LG better than Samsung?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Sit closer to the screen yes.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 4th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:i have a 720p tv that looking better than most of them 4k tv.

lolwut

Only if it's a reputable manufacturer though. Not all mango does be sweet with no soft spots

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

Postby philliprock » March 4th, 2019, 5:54 pm

redmanjp wrote:^ yuh saying LG better than Samsung?

just my opinion, never me and samsung

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » March 4th, 2019, 9:15 pm

well firstly, not all 4k tvs are made equally.there are beginner models , mid tier and high end, the normal person wont really care cause all they wld see is a clean bright picture. most ppl wont and dont care about the deepest blacks , high contrast and colors that pop etc. there is edge lite tvs, fald ( full array local dimming) and oled tech. tv tech is devil thing to get into, its alot and most importantly ppl wld have different pov and views on colors, some wld like samsung's bright qled some wld prefer sony's class motion tvs etc. its all about what the user likes and which colors the user prefers, but all tvs has faults , there isnt a perfect tv panel out there.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » March 4th, 2019, 9:20 pm

4k is life. A 4k TV would be future proof for a while to come as 4k is still pretty rare. Netflix videos are highly compressed so even though they offer 4k videos it's not a true representation of 4k capabilities. Youtube seems a bit better IMO but it may be that the 4k videos I watch on youtube have less going on so the compression does not affect it as much.

Keep in mind that none of this makes a difference if you don't have good vision to begin with. The majority of people I know can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k and out of those that can most people can only tell the difference in a side by side comparison.

Also, don't get too caught up getting a smart TV as a google box or something similar will most likely offer more features.

Verdict: I would always recommend it but it's not neccessary. Like other tuners said, panel quality matters more. Just buy whichever one looks best to you in the store and has the features you want. Cant go wrong with LG, Sony or Samsung. No experience with panasonic but vizio and TLC look really washed out.

Kevin_45
Street 2NR

Postby Kevin_45 » March 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm

I would say they are definitely worth it Imo, also most modern 4k TV usually upscale 1080p content so it would look great either way. In addition these new 4K TVs support better colour, HDR and backlight technology which all equates to better overall quality.

Don't listen to those guys who are saying 720p is fine they certainly don't know what good quality looks like. I have LG and that's what I'd recommend Sony is also good, not really a fan of Samsungs but generally these are the top of the line for TVs.

Kevin_45
Street 2NR

Postby Kevin_45 » March 4th, 2019, 9:52 pm

smh

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » March 4th, 2019, 10:53 pm

The tv I mentioned in my post is a LG. Lost count of its age but i do know is more than 10 yrs.
Can't remember what the problem was but it happened under warranty and Courts real beat around the bush until they hear Consumer Affairs Division. Been fine ever since.

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » March 5th, 2019, 12:26 am

i agree , 4k is life
playing a game or watching a movie in 4k with hdr is amazing, once you have 4k devices or streaming services with 4k content , go for it, the vizio and tcl have some really good entry level 4k , vizio even competes with some of the high end brands as well, just watched spiderverse on my 4k and it was amazing, even tho was a 1080p, upscaled nicely.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » March 5th, 2019, 12:42 am

philliprock wrote:I was thinking to buy a nice TV for meh bedroom for d night when ah man done wuk hard, alil HD movie or a south park/family guy/Simpsons/Conan O'Brien/Fallon. a nice 43" LG (I doh truss Samsung)

there are so many options when buying a TV in todays time, back then in the 90s-mid 00s it was so simple and I dunno how Sharp TVs went sour, I think the company was bought over from hisense.

I'm not on gaming monitors tho.. not my jamz

also I think HDR is a good component to have in a TV since it deals with contrast/color.

another gripe is d amount a money for ah 43inch tv... I could easily save a grand and buy a 50/55" TV...

Hmmm. Well if it's actually for your bedroom, wouldn't a 55" be too big? Unless you have a pretty large room or something. A smaller TV even without the 4K capabilities could do the trick for you easily for what you said. Consider your source of content as well. What do you use the most to stream those said shows?

If you got the cash, and it's not a huge leap in price, go for the 4K for "future proofing" sake, but it's by no means a MUST have. Especially if you fall in the category of people who cannot discern the difference between 1080p and 4K or more accurately, just don't care as much as some might.

xaira
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby xaira » March 5th, 2019, 8:22 am

Honestly if ur an average joe get a 1080p tv
Lack of content really isnt the only thing you have to worry about
-there are cheap 4k tvs which get a 1080p input signal then upscale the signal(not real 4k)
-hdmi version needs to be 1.4 or higher to get the real 4k but many manufacturers are still using lower standards to save $
-lower resolution content looks better on a 1080p panel
-the need for 4k should be judged by distance and size
-if ur planning to game the input lag will be worse on the 4k panel

So basically
-if you want to get a 65" tv for a small room 4k tv with a good upscaler.
-if ur getting a 50"tv for a big room (assuming ur sitting a fair distance) 1080p
-if ur getting a 4k tv dont cheap out and buy the cheapest thing with the term 4k on it (the experience will be worse than a meh 1080)
-torrenters are the best candidates for 4k as they have access to the most native 4k content
-streaming services claim 4k but take alot out of the signal to save bandwidth, compare a 4k stream to a 4k native file, its night and day.

Everyone talks about future proofing but the majority f the content we get is still 1080 or lower which looks better on a smaller 1080 but with that being said there is nothing better than standing infront of a proper 4k tv with native 4k content playing and barely being able to distinguish the pixels.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » March 5th, 2019, 8:51 am

Les Bain wrote:

The tv I mentioned in my post is a LG. Lost count of its age but i do know is more than 10 yrs.
Can't remember what the problem was but it happened under warranty and Courts real beat around the bush until they hear Consumer Affairs Division. Been fine ever since.

I find Samsung has more natural colour representation whereas LG is more vibrant. It comes down to preferance IMO. Both look amazing.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » March 5th, 2019, 9:36 am

4k is ole tech upgrade to 8k

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » March 5th, 2019, 9:54 am

gastly369 wrote:4k is ole tech upgrade to 8k

why even bother with 8k , wait for 16k

mero

Postby mero » March 5th, 2019, 10:28 am

Poverty post

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”