Carpentry, Joinery and woodworking Forum

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Carpentry, Joinery and woodworking Forum

Postby Rovin » June 10th, 2019, 8:40 pm

looks like we have d same wen table belt sander & similar clamps & squares

i have a 4ft tall steel tool cupboard i made over 15yrs ago that i am converting into a clamp storage unit to put all in 1 place instead of on d ground & some in another tool cupboard

nice grizzly bandsaw , looks similar to 1 i want to get ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Boy I have that same miter saw and shopvac too.

If your shop gets hot from sun hitting galvanize put radiant barrier. Makes a big difference.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » June 10th, 2019, 9:04 pm

pugboy wrote:Boy I have that same miter saw and shopvac too.

If your shop gets hot from sun hitting galvanize out radiant barrier. Makes a big difference.

I have an 18’ garage door on the front and a 3” to the back. So no heat build up unless both of them closed.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 11th, 2019, 8:39 am

pugboy wrote:amazon

Crosscut blade
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Finish-Cro ... 98&sr=8-15

Rip blade
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Thin-Kerf- ... Caps%2C198

Make sure your fence aligned properly and you need good technique
keep constant side pressure to the fence just ahead of the blade and direct forward push on the piece
want the piece that has been cut and past the last edge of the blade to still be kept parallel to the fence all the way out

you want to avoid the piece being pushed diagonally against the blade or fence
and well of course you need a straight edge on the material to begin with.

timelapse wrote:Also , can anybody recommend where I can get a good joinery blade for my table saw? 10 inch blade I believe.The blade it came with is not cutting evenly.

Those blades still have an angle to them .I looking for something ith the blades are exactly 90 degrees like a dado blade.nywhere locally you think might have it.I still want to see it before I buy .

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

freud makes those & u better off bringing it in thru amazon cause slim pickings locally .... last wk i saw a 10" dewalt 60T finishing blade [not flat teeth though] by bhags for tt$350 [12" $450] so daz to give u a idea
Last edited by Rovin on June 11th, 2019, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » June 11th, 2019, 11:58 am

timelapse wrote:

Crosscut blade

Rip blade

keep constant side pressure to the fence just ahead of the blade and direct forward push on the piece
want the piece that has been cut and past the last edge of the blade to still be kept parallel to the fence all the way out

timelapse wrote:Also , can anybody recommend where I can get a good joinery blade for my table saw? 10 inch blade I believe.The blade it came with is not cutting evenly.

Those blades still have an angle to them .I looking for something ith the blades are exactly 90 degrees like a dado blade.nywhere locally you think might have it.I still want to see it before I buy .

eBay has a set of Irwin’s dado selling for 1/4 of the normal price. It just they don’t have any prints on the blades. I bought a set.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 11th, 2019, 12:01 pm

timelapse wrote:

Crosscut blade

Rip blade

Peake's may have one. They carry Irwin and Ivy.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 11th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I found the 5gal too small
So I use a much bigger plastic drum

E7ABA1AD-024C-4663-99D1-2CB491734D11.jpeg

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » June 12th, 2019, 9:02 pm

pugboy wrote:I found the 5gal too small

The 5 gallon and the vacuum fit below my table saw so it nice and compact.

eKeith
Street 2NR

Postby eKeith » June 13th, 2019, 5:09 am

pugboy wrote:I found the 5gal too small

My 5 gallon was imploding under vacuum so I double-walled it by cutting another to create an insert...

marcop2487
Street 2NR

Postby marcop2487 » June 15th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Hey guys,

Anyone knows where I can learn how to do tiling?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 15th, 2019, 5:58 pm

^^^youtube has info on just about everything ...

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 16th, 2019, 12:33 pm

marcop2487 wrote:Hey guys,

Start with watching the videos on the NTCA channel. National Tile Contractors Association in USA. You will facepalm so many times when you note all the mistakes that you see being done locally by so-called professionals that you hire to do work at your home.

Education is offered locally at UTT and it's covered in the year-long Masonry course.
https://nesc.edu.tt/programmes/all-prog ... enter-nesc

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 16th, 2019, 12:34 pm

The avg tradesman learnt by trying a ting or working alongside others of similar ilk

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » June 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm

maj. tom wrote:
marcop2487 wrote:Hey guys,

Start with watching the videos on the NTCA channel. National Tile Contractors Association in USA. You will facepalm so many times when you note all the mistakes that you see being done locally by so-called professionals that you hire to do work at your home.

Education is offered locally at UTT and it's covered in the year-long Masonry course.
https://nesc.edu.tt/programmes/all-prog ... enter-nesc
I'll have to check out that channel. But you're right, when I see the proper way to do tiling, and proper thickness of tinset, does really be some kinda shot men hitting you down here

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 21st, 2019, 8:50 pm

so u dont have a festool domino ? ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1D23zzCVc&t=30s

linton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby linton » June 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

How hard is it to learn cabinetry/ cupboard building? What would be the cheapest outlay on tools. What are the

basic tools that would be required?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 23rd, 2019, 8:22 pm

linton wrote:How hard is it to learn cabinetry/ cupboard building? What would be the cheapest outlay on tools. What are the

it depends on what level u want to be on or able to or can afford

in d previous page u will see somebody mentioned steve ramsey's videos on youtube , u can start there

now also n d previous page [when u get experience & want to advance] u will see a few youtube channels i watch & recommend ....

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » June 23rd, 2019, 11:57 pm

linton wrote:How hard is it to learn cabinetry/ cupboard building? What would be the cheapest outlay on tools. What are the

I once built a 6 feet x23 feet cupboard with just a worn out jigsaw, a drill and a kreg jig. Didn’t have any other power tools back then. So it’s how much u want to spend and how determined you are.

marcop2487
Street 2NR

Postby marcop2487 » June 24th, 2019, 7:27 am

car wrote:

I once built a 6 feet x23 feet cupboard with just a worn out jigsaw, a drill and a kreg jig. Didn’t have any other power tools back then. So it’s how much u want to spend and how determined you are.
That kreg jig makes the world of difference with pocket joints.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Anyone knows where I can get oak or cherrywood?

Maybe tonkabean

some chips

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 25th, 2019, 5:03 pm

for hobbyist woodworkers check out this guy's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKo6Lo ... PqxbWNNyAA

1 of d better more laid back chans to watch , good content with very funny dry humor aka "dad jokes"

at d end are hjs "out-takes" is probably best part where he shows his bloopers & parts where he messed up by mistake

def worth subscribing to ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 18th, 2019, 8:34 pm

*trying to revive d topic

so u say u eh have no space home by u ? , well looky here a guy with a 6ft x 8ft workshop ...

Zorak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Zorak » September 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Over the last 2 years I've started toying around with some little woodworking projects. Haven't built anything really impressive yet. In the process of building my kitchen cupboard and bathroom vanity. They're both about 80% complete, functional til I get around to completing them.

For now I only work with pine that I get in the hardware and plywood. And getting a properly straight length of lumber is the hardest thing for me. I'm thinking about getting a table-saw or planer or jointer to help with straightening the lumber. Which do you guys suggest?

I really need to organise my tools properly and a proper workspace though. I feel like I just need to setup a mitre saw station and maybe a router table and that will help speed things along nicely. It's such a pain to always be unpacking and packing everything whenever I'm working on something.

Can you guys suggest somewhere I can get a little nicer wood than pine for my projects? And why doesn't anyone carry dressed 2x2s!?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 18th, 2019, 11:28 pm

to get any kind of wood other than basic pinewood u have to go to a local sawmill & have them machine it for u at a additional cost if u dont have d equipment to do so

d only near perfect wood u gonna get is man-made which is basically plywood & mdf , aka sheetwood

anytime u buy dressed or rough lumber bet ur life it will never be perfectly dimensioned nor straight , u will have to buy tools\expensive tools to do it ur self or u can take d wood to a woodwork shop to get it properly machined

u do know dress wood is usually 1\4-1\2" less than advertised measurements , so ex if u buy a 1x4 dressed its really 3\4 x 3.5

take a look at this

hope u already have a proper worktable & not jes a sheet of ply on 2 workhorses

build a solid 4x8ft table [u will regret anything smaller] & even put it on caster wheels , search youtube for tons of ideas & vids on how to build it ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 19th, 2019, 4:37 am

I see some guys selling a variety of boards of diff wood types in chaguanas corner opp subway Montrose,

Zorak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Zorak » September 19th, 2019, 5:26 am

Rovin wrote:to get any kind of wood other than basic pinewood u have to go to a local sawmill & have them machine it for u at a additional cost if u dont have d equipment to do so

d only near perfect wood u gonna get is man-made which is basically plywood & mdf , aka sheetwood

anytime u buy dressed or rough lumber bet ur life it will never be perfectly dimensioned nor straight , u will have to buy tools\expensive tools to do it ur self or u can take d wood to a woodwork shop to get it properly machined

u do know dress wood is usually 1\4-1\2" less than advertised measurements , so ex if u buy a 1x4 dressed its really 3\4 x 3.5

take a look at this

hope u already have a proper worktable & not jes a sheet of ply on 2 workhorses

build a solid 4x8ft table [u will regret anything smaller] & even put it on caster wheels , search youtube for tons of ideas & vids on how to build it ...

I'm familiar with the difference in dimensions in dressed wood to the what we actually call them. I've been trying to work in mm these days and I found that it really does help with accuracy. For me what also helps with that accuracy is having a measuring tape with down to the 1/8ths marked off.

And yeah, I've made 2 work tables so far but I really wanna make another and yeah you're right about the proper 4x8, mine are about just over 2x5. I do kinda like that size and was thinking to make one where it has additional pull out supports to make a larger area to deal with plywood. I made a mini cart on caster wheels and I love that thing. So convenient! But ripping down plywood is a pain for me on the ground and ripping straight. Usually I mark off and clamp down a length of the straightest 1x3 I have but I recently bought one of the kreg rip cuts so maybe that might help. I bought the kreg mini a while back and that opened up a new world for me and eventually bought the k4 and don't regret it one bit. One of the tables I made I used pocket screws with and it actually supported all 240lbs of me!

I'm trying to up my clamp game at the moment as well. I bought some cheap quick clamps and they worked great but they're just about done. I see Allied has a nice selection of Irwin clamps and they recently stocked a different brand of those F clamps and bar clamps. Quality looked good. Oh, a while back I bought some 3/4" irwin pipe clamp ends from Allied but haven't been able to get any threaded pipe in the lengths I was looking for. Any ideas on where I can get some 3' or 4' lengths? Or do I have to buy normal galvanized pipe and get them threaded?

I've been subscribed to a lot of woodworking youtubers as well, but I think Steve is definitely my fav. Perfect for a beginner like me. You notice how much younger he looks now than when he initially started? He's a good one though.
Last edited by Zorak on September 19th, 2019, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primo-El
Riding on 13's

Postby Primo-El » September 19th, 2019, 5:40 am

Aye aye, we have a woodwork hobbyist ched? Niceness!

I subscribed to FourEyes and Kingpost Timberworks on YouTube and trying a ting.

Did some kitchen cabinets, buffets and living room furniture for some folks to start off. Weaned myself off mdf even though it easy to work with. Not much time these days though to get much done, working on house so pressure to be moving all the tools back and forth cuz space limited.

But nice to see this man.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 19th, 2019, 5:47 am

The galv pipe usually works with the clamps
However you only get one side of an entire pipe with a thread.
What I did was get some 4" nipples which are threaded both sides, cut in half
And then welded them to pipe so the pipe now has a threaded end,

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 19th, 2019, 10:56 am

for new comers to this thread also check out d tool thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319216&hilit=tools

everybody on youtube will say u can almost never have enough clamps & its very true , recently had to clamp just 4 5ft pieces of 1x3 90 degrees to each other & used up 20 clamps , ordering some more soon

while back i bought [12] 3\4 bessy pipe clamps from amazon cost around us$14 each & some 2ft & 4ft black steel pipe from homedepot - u can get some off amazon too , from what i read online ppl recommend d black steel pipe more because its thicker & less prone to flexing though d galv pipes works too ..... wuda love to own some parallel pipes but they expensive

for straight edge cutting all i use is a 4ft level & 2 spring clamps , for ripping 8ft long i used d factor edge of a ply or mdf & same 2 spring clamps [only us$1 each recently brought a dozen-down here is tt$20 each] ... eventually i might end up buying a makita tracksaw us$400 , cant see myself buying a festool far less mafell :shock: , 2 best on d market

what i am doing is getting more into actual joinery [as a hobby , may sell a few pieces for a lil side $] which is different from basic carpentry - though once u working with wood everybody says that is woodworking ..... so i have ordered some tools to step into that level , i cuda buy a local used car with what d tools cost [yolo right] - not d best not cheap ting , cant afford d top stuff , i eh win d lotto yet

oh btw - i know most of us look at usa woodworkers cause u know we like to follow americans [no offense to them] but if u look at stuff ppl do on d other side of d world like in russian , china , japan , slovania , ukraine & other middle european countries , those guys on a different level , extremely diverse & creative , makes d Americans looks like novices & u see alot of them looking at their videos, complimenting & learning from them ....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”