Forums

Boy, 4, dies after being trapped in school bus

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Boy, 4, dies after being trapped in school bus

Postby stikid09 » July 5th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Four year old Isaiah Hazel was found dead at the back of a private school bus this afternoon.

The driver of the bus collapsed following the discovery and remains warded at the Couva Health Facility.

According to reports, Hazel was one child in a trip of school children who were supposed to be taken to the Morning Star Early Childcare School at Southern Main Road, California.

Hazel, apparently, never got off the bus. It is believed that he fell asleep while on the way to school.

Police say the driver of the bus returned home, parked and secured the bus and went about her business with the child still inside.

Around 3pm, the driver returned to see the young child laying motionless on the floor of the vehicle. His body bore no visible marks of violence.

He was rushed to the Couva Health Facility where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Inspector Figaro from the Homicide Bureau visited the scene and is continuing investigations.

An autopsy to determine the child's cause of death will be performed tomorrow.

Source: https://www.tv6tnt.com/news/local/boy-d ... db42b.html

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Boy, 4, dies after being trapped in school bus

Postby maj. tom » July 5th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Weird how in USA and Canada school districts require that you have to go through training courses at certified schools to become a school bus driver, which covers things like safety, fitness, mental evaluation and drug tests.

In Trinidad it seems like you just need a yellow maxi and a driver's licence. This case is manslaughter by negligence of duty.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » July 5th, 2019, 4:51 pm

This is truly heart-breaking.
Fact is that this happens far too often even in the USA.
Forgetting a child in a school bus, in a car in the mall park just isn't how we love and protect our innocents.
We have lost 2 infants this week in our country under circumstances that can break the most hardened hearts.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 5th, 2019, 4:57 pm

How though tommy?
I could understand the case years ago when the old man in Penal left the grandchild in the car who eventually died.

But it's not a toddler in this case.
How does locking someone inside a bus cause them to die, unless they calling a 7 seater a bus?

I guess the only choice is to wait for autopsy cause you never know if someone gave homie something to consume.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » July 5th, 2019, 5:25 pm

RIP young one.

Pre-schooler died from heat: Bus driver may be charged
Shane Superville

An autopsy on the body of three-year-old Isaiah Hazel confirmed he died of hyperthermia caused by extreme heat and dehydration.

He was found on the floor of a school bus in Couva, having apparently been there for several hours.

Police said charges of manslaughter may be forthcoming against the bus driver, who remains warded at the San Fernando General Hospital after reportedly suffering a panic attack while police were interviewing her on Thursday.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/07/05/pre-schooler-died-from-heat-bus-driver-may-be-charged/

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 5th, 2019, 5:56 pm

very tragic sad unfortunate incident

cud imagine d mental & physical mess d bess driver lady is in too ...

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Yes it is unfortunate, but I would still like to know why wasn't he able to open a window/door or pound up the glass?
A bus/maxi has different windows than a car. It can be opened from inside by hand without key/starting engine.
Unless they using something different now?

Like I said, the situation is different from the Penal one because that 1 year old could not have done anything to save himself.

I not trivialising the matter or trying to 'blame the victim' eh.

Just asking the 'sensible' questions

And I hope the driver does not get charged.

When the 1 year old died, the blame was on the adult who forgot him in the car, but everyone also blamed the parents, the daycare as well for not "calling to find out why the child was not in school"

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » July 5th, 2019, 7:34 pm

IMHO, the driver is responsible for ensuring all doors are shut before driving off, all limbs stay inside when the vehicle is in motion and all persons who enter the vehicle, leave the vehicle especially when dealing with small children. Training is absolutely necessary for certain jobs!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

A freaking horrible way for a little one to die.
Blame game won't help anyone, but we need to learn from this. Multiple Points of accountability.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 5th, 2019, 8:01 pm

You all know that a school bus driver is supposed to walk through the bus aisle and check each seat at the end of each shift when they park the bus right? What yuh feel, they transporting pig and sheep? Why the child didn't open the window? Because he's 4, he's a toddler, the heat and dehydration made him confused, how the f*ck he supposed to know how to operate a maxi window at 4 years old and under all that stress?

The MoE needs to regulate this entire school bus operation more rigidly with proper training for the drivers. This is one case too many. I really hope the Minister makes a statement on this and requires mandatory training for those drivers applying for the school bus programme. This is NOT comparable to private car incidents that happen all over the world where the parent forgot their child in the back seat or just coming back to just pick up a few things at a Walmart. This was a school bus!

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2019, 8:30 pm

what we need is greater awareness. people think that it can't happen to them, so they plan accordingly.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 5th, 2019, 8:39 pm

maj. tom wrote:You all know that a school bus driver is supposed to walk through the bus aisle and check each seat at the end of each shift when they park the bus right? What yuh feel, they transporting pig and sheep? Why the child didn't open the window? Because he's 4, he's a toddler, the heat and dehydration made him confused, how the f*ck he supposed to know how to operate a maxi window at 4 years old and under all that stress?

The MoE needs to regulate this entire school bus operation more rigidly with proper training for the drivers. This is one case too many. I really hope the Minister makes a statement on this and requires mandatory training for those drivers applying for the school bus programme. This is NOT comparable to private car incidents that happen all over the world where the parent forgot their child in the back seat or just coming back to just pick up a few things at a Walmart. This was a school bus!
Agree 100%

No_Name
Sweet on this forum

Postby No_Name » July 5th, 2019, 10:37 pm

maj. tom wrote:You all know that a school bus driver is supposed to walk through the bus aisle and check each seat at the end of each shift when they park the bus right? What yuh feel, they transporting pig and sheep? Why the child didn't open the window? Because he's 4, he's a toddler, the heat and dehydration made him confused, how the f*ck he supposed to know how to operate a maxi window at 4 years old and under all that stress?

Good points...
Also, accountability lies within everyone concerning this Child...
So no one, Driver, Day Care Official, Parent didn't miss this Child for sooo long & enquired bout his whereabouts?

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » July 5th, 2019, 10:38 pm

unfortunate and while i do feel sorry for the driver you can't deny it was just pure negligence

these school vans drop the same children off everyday, its your duty to make sure each one of them accounted for not to mention a routine check on the bus once you go offduty especially considering you dealin with toddlers, hell even green band maxi men does do this
Last edited by Spitfir3 on July 6th, 2019, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 5th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Sure.
Judging from the bus driver's reaction, I can assume that she has never had to do that in her entire career.
Or maybe this was the one day she forgot.

Rip to small man.
For the next 7 days everyone will check their schoolbus after the trip and then is back to normal.

Hear what he/she has to say. Let us hear why those things weren't done.
Don't demonise the driver right away, because the others can learn a few things.
Also the story is fishy. Every article has different accounts.

Was it only one child in the bus?
No one sat next to him, no one nudged him and said "aye boy we reach?"
What exactly is this "bus?" Is it the normal 12 seater? - If it was an actual bus, I could understand if the driver just wring her neck 180 and watch and didn't see anyone and say Arite. (and this would be negligence)
If it was a 12 seater how tf you can't notice a child?

I know of a case where a student was locked in a room in a teacher's place (lessons) because apparently when lights turn off means is time to sleep.
(Teacher chase everyone out and turn off lights. But while talking to some students right outside the door, one homie wanted that coldness of when the ac just turned off. Duck behind the teacher and gone in the dark room, close the door behind he and rest down his head and 'sleep away' in less than 5 minutes. The guy was very dark-skinned as well so that wasn't helping even if they did open back the door to make a 'second last check'. Place lock up, everybody gone. Find he back almost 3 hours later wanting to cry, phone didn't even have charge to call he mammy.
He real lucky the teacher come back for whatever reason (forget food or something) and see the door handle moving up and down.
Was a Friday too so he woulda be park up dey whole weekend and nobody could contact he, and eventually the teacher would have gotten the blame for not 'checking properly' even though homie went back in after they checked.

I am certainly NOT saying this is the case, but let us hear from the driver what went wrong.
Small man already gone, doh let it be in vain.

Also I not saying the driver is innocent, but I think it is a bit silly the amount of people beating up and calling all kinda thing upon the driver. The driver did not carefully plan and set out to kill a child, yet they don't beat up nearly as much for the ones that actually do.

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » July 6th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Doing a headcount if SOP when commanding a school bus. Negligent yes, negligent homicide? No.

Minister talk in parliament about a family being incorrectly told about a relative dying. Minster of Education say anything about this, an actual tragedy?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 6th, 2019, 1:39 pm

It is really easy to see how this could happen with a small child who fall asleep in the back and not visible when the driver looked.

Clearly there aren't any procedures to avoid this happening.
Wonder if the van insurance will cover this loss of life.

speedmelter
18 pounds of Boost

Postby speedmelter » July 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm

maj. tom wrote:Weird how in USA and Canada school districts require that you have to go through training courses at certified schools to become a school bus driver, which covers things like safety, fitness, mental evaluation and drug tests.

In Trinidad it seems like you just need a yellow maxi and a driver's licence. This case is manslaughter by negligence of duty.

Those yellow school busses with the numbers are required to renew a permit in order to operate per academic school year. It used to be every term. The requirements for renewal includes a certificate of character no older than 3 months, CPR and first aid certification that has to be redone annually, defensive driving done every two years from some stipulated institutes and vehicle inspections, extinguisher and a bunch of stuff. So the system is there legally to provide some level of provision for a parent to comfortably send their young child off to and from school. The issue what brought about that system now implemented maybe 7 years or so now was the case of vehicular accident. You see a van with seats in it registered T is only insured and licensed to carry 3 passengers in the front. People used to put seats in the back and carry kids. If you managed to get it registered P which is another story you are allowed I think only 8 including the front 3 and apart from that if you had to legally carry passengers at the back of a T you required a workman’s permit which is expensive and given under special consideration.

The issue that still exist today is that a lot of people still take the chance and transport kids under the T, the kids are not insured obviously and because the driver would obviously not have the permit he/she would be likely to not have the skills/ guidance as the one with it.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » July 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Obviously not the same situation, but check out this incident which occurred in an industry known for its copious policies and procedures:

Air Canada: Woman wakes up alone on dark, parked plane
23 June 2019

A woman has said she was left alone on an Air Canada plane after falling asleep during a flight.

Tiffani Adams said she fell asleep while flying from Quebec to Toronto on 9 June. When she woke up, she was freezing cold and still buckled into her seat, but the aircraft was parked.

She said she had experienced "reoccurring night terrors" since the incident took place.

Air Canada has confirmed the incident occurred and is investigating.

Ms Adams said on Facebook that she woke up "around midnight [a few hours after the flight landed] freezing cold still trapped in my seat in complete darkness."

She said the experience was "terrifying".

Ms Adams managed to call her friend Deanna Dale to let her know where she was when her phone died less than a minute into the call.

She was unable to charge her phone as the plane had been shut down.

Ms Dale called Toronto Pearson Airport and told them of Ms Adams' whereabouts.

While she was on board, Ms Adams managed to locate a torch in the cockpit of the plane and attempted to attract attention.

She was found by a luggage cart operator who she claimed was "in shock".

Ms Adams said that Air Canada staff offered her a limousine and a hotel but she declined, wanting to return home as quickly as possible.

She added that representatives from Air Canada had called her twice as part of the investigation and apologised.

Air Canada confirmed Ms Adams' account to multiple publications and said it was reviewing the incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48739532

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » July 6th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Such a sad thing. But the driver dont know who she pick up and dropping off for tht trip?

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » July 6th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Gem_in_i wrote:Such a sad thing. But the driver dont know who she pick up and dropping off for tht trip?

she probably did the same trip with the same children every day for the last school year. A routine sets in and persons tend not to notice when a routine is changed in a very subtle way.

it happens all over the world, mostly because people think they wouldn't make that slip of memory:
https://www.today.com/parents/7-tips-pr ... ren-t31551

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 6th, 2019, 10:20 pm

But I would still like to hear what the other children passengers say too.
If he was on a end seat, someone would have had to pass over him.
If he was by the window, the person next to him didn't call him out?
Where he was, in the back seat by himself?

And why is the child sleeping away on the bus? - Why didn't he get a good night sleep?
The home/parents should be investigated as well.

I saw many people beat up over the choice of the picture the news used, saying how they could have used one where the child was not looking so angry, but was there any?

I know some people will say I being mean, but that is the reality we living in.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 6th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I hear that the mother said she wakes him at 4am because she has to be out the house by 6am. Also he had the cold so she gave him cough medicine. Musbe the drowsy type. In a small bus you would see the whole bus from the driver's seat. You not thinking a child could be hidden behind a seat and silent too. You would expect the child came out at his stop. How come the child next to him didn't say he was still on the bus asleep?

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 7th, 2019, 12:34 am

Gem_in_i wrote:Such a sad thing. But the driver dont know who she pick up and dropping off for tht trip?
She suppose to know this....Also suppose to make a sweep check of her maxi before she returned home to ensure noting was left behind...not even a lunch kit....she was very lazy not to do this...she should be charged at least for negligence and should not be allowed to operate this maxi again

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » July 7th, 2019, 4:00 am

When i was 5 years old i used to sleep like i was dead and once i fall asleep i sleeping for long and through anything... so my mom used to lock up the house to go out the road to grab a few things.. i was unaware that she would leave the house when im asleep.. the ac used to be on.. it was them single unit with a hole in the wall.. so current went that one day so i wake up sweating, breathing hard, weak and thirsty.. the door had a two way deadbolt and it was locked so i started to panic i didnt think about opening the window so i understand what small man went through... but i saw a little light through where the ac was so i push the bed.. stand up.. noticed that it was a hole in the wall then proceeded to shake and pull until it fell out onto the bed then climbed through the hole

I get level belt for it though :| because i could have simply opened the window.. RIP Isaiah.. very very unfortunate :(

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Spitfir3 wrote:unfortunate and while i do feel sorry for the driver you can't deny it was just pure negligence

these school vans drop the same children off everyday, its your duty to make sure each one of them accounted for not to mention a routine check on the bus once you go offduty especially considering you dealin with toddlers, hell even green band maxi men does do this

In order to establish negligence....you have to establish what isnt negligent-what is correct action.

No standards, no rules, every one gets away cuz its a hustle.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » July 7th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:But I would still like to hear what the other children passengers say too.
If he was on a end seat, someone would have had to pass over him.
If he was by the window, the person next to him didn't call him out?
Where he was, in the back seat by himself?

And why is the child sleeping away on the bus? - Why didn't he get a good night sleep?
The home/parents should be investigated as well.

I saw many people beat up over the choice of the picture the news used, saying how they could have used one where the child was not looking so angry, but was there any?

I know some people will say I being mean, but that is the reality we living in.

Sunday, July 7th 2019

Dear Tuner,

I read your comments and I have but one simple question for you. Do you have any children? I anticipate your swift response.

Regards,

A father.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » July 8th, 2019, 11:02 am

rspann wrote:I hear that the mother said she wakes him at 4am because she has to be out the house by 6am. Also he had the cold so she gave him cough medicine. Musbe the drowsy type. In a small bus you would see the whole bus from the driver's seat. You not thinking a child could be hidden behind a seat and silent too. You would expect the child came out at his stop. How come the child next to him didn't say he was still on the bus asleep?

If this is true then did the parent inform the driver and the school?
Maybe the children did tell the driver but she was probably occupied with something else but dealing with little children requires full attention from adults who are responsible for their supervision.
The question is, can it be reasonably expected that a school bus driver would ensue that all passengers exit the bus before leaving it unattended?
And yes, it is a very unfortunate situation for a parent, if not the most unfortunate. I guess we Tuner’s are being a bit insensitive.... this is a fallout of widespread use of social media IMHO

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

really tragic....can;t imagine the agony of the parents
Lots of finger pointing and that driver has a lot to deal with, but imo if ppl wanna point fingers, point them at the people who created the system that failed to have the relevant checks and balances in place
We as a people tend to overlook most serious issues and situations until the proverbial poop hits the spinny blades, and then try to lash out and place blame

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » July 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

The bus driver in a coma?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”