Forums

Defective tyres

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

khandman
3NE 2NR for life

Defective tyres

Postby khandman » September 6th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Good day all. Bought 4 new tires for my van in October last year. First time buyer from this particular vendor. Long story short, van pulling real bad when to mileage Mack to balance and rotate, they said three for the four tires bent due to manufacture defect.

I did not get a bill from the place I purchased, just have the linx receipt. Has anyone ever had similar experiences? Tires have about 90 % life remaining.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Defective tyres

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 6th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Unless you bought it from a dealer, you may not have much recourse.
Bigger dealers offer warranty and pro-rated replacement.

Call the shop you bought it from and ask

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » September 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm

what brand tire?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » September 6th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Soo almost a whole year and the tyres at 90%? Then how much KMs did you put on the tyres? whats the brand as well

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » September 6th, 2019, 2:23 pm

given how long you let that sit chances are they won't do anything about it

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 6th, 2019, 2:47 pm

What brand tires? You spend so much money on something and didn't get a bill? As in the company did not make a bill and give it to you? Weird practice for a legit company. Mango tree tire shop or what?

Didn't the installer balance the tires and notice the defect? On 3 tires?!

Gather your info and see if you can get some reprisal from the company, or else report it to consumer affairs. You took a year of driving to notice the problem and hence defect though? You will have to prove that your mileage was small for a good case. If the tires are defective then it doesn't matter if they're 90% or 10% good. They're garbage.

Or else cut your losses here, and go by a reputable company next time and spend a few more dollars for peace of mind and safety for the next 3 to 4 years.

khandman
3NE 2NR for life

Postby khandman » September 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Bought them from a place in debe. My fault in not insisting for a bill. Brand is nexen all terrain. 31x 10.5x 15”. They were supposed to be a short term solution until I could have upgraded some rims and tires.

khandman
3NE 2NR for life

Postby khandman » September 6th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Will most likely cut my losses as they are unwilling to assist but was just asking for similar issues. As for mileage, the van is not a delivery vehicle or anything like that so it only goes from home to work and back which is a relatively short distance

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Pulling isn't caused by bent tyres. Camber, Caster and difference in wheel base( ie if one wheel is further back than the other, causes pulling. If a tyre is bent you get vibration at high speed and shaking at lower speeds. Seeing that in one year you used 10%, does that mean that the van was parked up for a long period ,or do you make short runs ,but regularly? If the tyre is steel belted ,impact could also cause the belt to bend/rupture. Just trying to get some additional info to proceed with the investigation. Tuner CSI.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 6th, 2019, 5:24 pm

What causes tram lining?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I would say the main cause is the rigidity of the side walls. Low profiles, run flats, and certain brands that are generally stiffer than usual.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 6th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Nexen hoss?

Thas the problem right there.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » September 6th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Diz it dey nixens... Ewwwww
MaxPower wrote:Nexen hoss?

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » September 6th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Had a similar experience with TOYO proxies ST II on my prado, 8 months after purchase 3 tires couldn’t balance....... all was changed to ST III no bill shown mileage mack FTW

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm

If they were Steel Belted tyres — dem t'ing and potholes doh mix...:|

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » September 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Checkkkk allyuh mfd dates on them tires...

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 6th, 2019, 7:34 pm

The tyres CAN cause pull, easiest, fastest way to know is switch front tyres left to right. If the pull changes direction or stops, its the tyres. If it stays the same then its one of the other factors spann outlined above.

Cheaper tyres tend to be more susceptible what is called ply steer. This happens when the internal belts move causing the outer and inner portions to have different diameters, essentially the tyre itself has a slope on the rolling surface. I have seen this first hand.

Ply steer describes the lateral force a tire generates due to asymmetries in its carcass as is rolls forward with zero slip angle. It is the characteristic that is usually described as the tire’s tendency to “crab walk”, or move sideways while maintaining a straight-line orientation.

That said, it's extremely unlikely for this to happen with 3 tyres at the same time.

I run an alignment shop btw.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Tyres that are unevenly worn CAN cause pulling, but he said they were bent and implied they were in almost new condition. Try on four other tyres to eliminate the tyres from the equation.

The car will try to go in the direction of the smaller circumference (conicity) If the tyre is worn to the inside the car will go to the direction of the worn section. Try rolling a cone on the floor you will get the idea.

If you speak to the owner of MM ask him who first showed him how to camber a car and how to use the Mc Pherson strut correction tool ,when he was only selling tyres.
Last edited by rspann on September 6th, 2019, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Not saying it's so, but as we are on the topic, pulling can be caused by a difference in wheel base caused by collision damage. The vehicle would pull in the direction of the wheel that is further back. Cars that were involved in accidents and not repaired to original specs have this problem. The pull can be strong enough to wrestle the steering from your hand. If the wheel was hit and it's back by a fraction of an inch you can get pulling. I've seen cars repaired and the wheelbase and track are wayyy off. I first started alignment over thirty years ago and although I'm done with that now( my brother took over) I do collision repair still and have equipment that can measure down to 1mm tolerances. Sometimes when alignment shops can't correct problems they still send them to me.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 6th, 2019, 8:55 pm

rspann wrote:Not saying it's so, but as we are on the topic, pulling can be caused by a difference in wheel base caused by collision damage. The vehicle would pull in the direction of the wheel that is further back. Cars that were involved in accidents and not repaired to original specs have this problem. The pull can be strong enough to wrestle the steering from your hand. If the wheel was hit and it's back by a fraction of an inch you can get pulling. I've seen cars repaired and the wheelbase and track are wayyy off. I first started alignment over thirty years ago and although I'm done with that now( my brother took over) I do collision repair still and have equipment that can measure down to 1mm tolerances. Sometimes when alignment shops can't correct problems they still send them to me.

I get this problem regularly and i agree, but, the many mechanics and body men often tell the customers "dat lil ting ent go cause dat". When i show them their basic wheelbase measurements with a +/- 15mm setback they get quiet.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 9:22 pm

How many alignment techs know about the theory and the actual functioning/ mechanics of a suspension? Ive seen all kinds of problems caused by people who just know basic alignment techniques and nothing more.

Is how men does jack/pull the cradle to solve that problem ,so the wheel base correct but they cradle stretch so it handling like too too and when they change the cradle later on the problem comes back. They slot holes and do all kinds of ratch to get the reading correct, but the actual geometry is then totally off.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 6th, 2019, 9:29 pm

I had the exact issue with some Sumitomos bought from the Dealer in Couva.
3 out of 4 were bent due to manuf defect. Balanced good, but went out of round after about 8k of driving.

The dealer replaced all under the pro-rated warranty and each replacement cost me a couple hundred max, with installation and rebalancing. If I remember correctly, they even gave me new Dunlops the next batch and wrote off the one good remaining sumitomo.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 6th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Sumitomos have road hazard warranty too, not so?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 6th, 2019, 9:48 pm

rspann wrote:Sumitomos have road hazard warranty too, not so?

Yup, and I never had issues with claims at that company.
They measure remaining life and apply their forumla and you pay the difference.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » September 6th, 2019, 11:59 pm

gastly369 wrote:Checkkkk allyuh mfd dates on them tires...

but they look bess. BESS.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Defective tyres

Postby MaxPower » September 7th, 2019, 12:27 am

Nexens n Nankangs

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » September 7th, 2019, 12:57 am

MaxPower wrote:Nexens n Nankangs

And buying tyre by quacks like Rostonia and others along the Debe stretch. Look Op if you value your neck and spine and do not want to crash buy some Michelin or Pirelli or Toyo and get them balanced and car aligned by Mileage Mack. Good thing cost more for a reason

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 7th, 2019, 1:18 am

MaxPower wrote:Nexen hoss?

You know that brand is OEM on some Hyundais right

Have you checked Tyre pressures?

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » September 7th, 2019, 7:23 am

And all this time I thought was only Chinese tyres bad, hmm.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 7th, 2019, 7:30 am

When do you all do a tire rotation? Every oil change? (8,000 to 10,000 km).
DIY job with a jack, or tire shop expertise?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”