Forums

Procedure for Importing a Vehicle

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sekhar_777
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Procedure for Importing a Vehicle

Postby sekhar_777 » March 26th, 2019, 11:24 am

People, my personal trade license was approved 28-Feb-2019 and I submitted my car registration application at Sando Licensing. I was told that Min of Trade has to send validation of my personal trade license details to Licensing Office Caroni and then coordinate this back to Sando. My vehicle cannot get registered without this. Does anyone know someone who can assist at Min. of Trade to ensure details are sent to Caroni? I am currently renting a vehicle and this incurring a huge cost.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » March 26th, 2019, 11:37 am

caroni already has it so u will be pestering trade for no reason
dont waste your time trying this & that, just wait for caroni to give sando the ok

sekhar_777
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sekhar_777 » March 26th, 2019, 1:14 pm

A172 wrote:caroni already has it so u will be pestering trade for no reason
dont waste your time trying this & that, just wait for caroni to give sando the ok

So the information that I was given is that Caroni only has physical batches till 26th Feb, and that a Caroni Licensing courier goes into Min. of Trade on a weekly basis to get the next batch of confirmation of validation of personal trade licenses.
Is that BS?
My vehicle registration request went into Sando since 19th March.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » March 26th, 2019, 1:44 pm

yh all that info correct

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » March 26th, 2019, 9:38 pm

What companies is the best to purchase from in Japan

DanielCW
Street 2NR

Postby DanielCW » May 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

Once the ship docks in Port of Spain how long does it take before the car could be taken off the port?

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

2-3 Days, depends on how many other RoRo vessels at the time disembarking vehicles.
Even got next day late evening once.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » May 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

francis1979 wrote:What companies is the best to purchase from in Japan

Isn't SBT Japan the main one which nearly every Trini uses?

biggz1985
Street 2NR

Postby biggz1985 » May 18th, 2019, 10:44 am

I have a registered business and I need a step by step instructions on importing my own vehicle (Honda Vezel) if anyone can assist it'll be appreciated WhatsApp me 3449567...

DanielCW
Street 2NR

Postby DanielCW » May 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm

teems1 wrote:

Isn't SBT Japan the main one which nearly every Trini uses?

SBT have gotten a lot of bad reviews I think most dealers go into the auctions directly and make there purchases

Tech Guy
Riding on 13's

Postby Tech Guy » May 29th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Try ICM Japan, Sayuri International, Autocom Japan. They are trusted up to an extent. But make sure and check the auction sheets and verify the mileage. That's importers and dealers biggest scam. I check the lot numbers also in sold auctions to see if the Japanese suppliers tampered with the auction sheets. I have seen this already so I take no chances. Unfortunately 90% of people get scammed.

sharkxtreme
Riding on 13's

Postby sharkxtreme » July 14th, 2019, 11:46 am

Can anyone give an update on the latest import duty and taxes for importing vehicles into Trinidad.

Seems like they changed so much in 2016 and 2017 that I can't seem to find the most up to date information anywhere

TriniItalian
Riding on 13's

Postby TriniItalian » October 1st, 2019, 11:35 am

Guys I've imported a vehicles through sbt. I'm now looking at trying the auctions. Can anyone list reputable auction sites I can check out?

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

TriniItalian wrote:Guys I've imported a vehicles through sbt. I'm now looking at trying the auctions. Can anyone list reputable auction sites I can check out?

Do you mind sharing your personal experiences importing with SBT?

TriniItalian
Riding on 13's

Postby TriniItalian » October 1st, 2019, 3:27 pm

NR8 wrote:
TriniItalian wrote:Guys I've imported a vehicles through sbt. I'm now looking at trying the auctions. Can anyone list reputable auction sites I can check out?

Do you mind sharing your personal experiences importing with SBT?

Ummm no real issues. They go radio silent between when you send your money and shipping. I guess to avoid buyers remorse, but as soon as it's on the water they start back talking to you. They also give the option of altering the invoice down for customs if you desire. Regardless of what price the site says you can always haggle for a discount. Recently I've been seeing people giving negative reviews so maybe the standard has dropped, also people have off expectations as well, a dealer may do light bodywork to a roro when it arrives. When you buy it it will have whatever dings etc

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » March 21st, 2020, 10:10 am

trinigamer wrote:How is the cc rating determined? as in what documentation is used to calculate the tax
Sometimes websites have vehicles at 1800 cc, but the engine is specced at 1792 cc or similar.

Can somebody confirm this?

I was of the notion that they’ll use the actual real CC value of the engine and not the rounded off value.

And is there a limit to doing personal imports?

rmspower
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmspower » March 21st, 2020, 11:15 am

scotty_buttons wrote:
trinigamer wrote:How is the cc rating determined? as in what documentation is used to calculate the tax
Sometimes websites have vehicles at 1800 cc, but the engine is specced at 1792 cc or similar.

Can somebody confirm this?

I was of the notion that they’ll use the actual real CC value of the engine and not the rounded off value.

And is there a limit to doing personal imports?
Personal import limited to one vehicle every fours years.

Export certificate will state the CC rating. That is what they use to calculate MVT.

KURMAman
Riding on 16's

Postby KURMAman » May 26th, 2020, 6:34 pm

https://www.ttautoguide.com/luxury-tax- ... ient-cars/

you can do all your relevant calculations from this.

coyote
Riding on 13's

Postby coyote » February 28th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Hello. I've taken an interest in jdm/tuners recently since the choices locally available for modern cars today are extremely lackluster and/or above my budget unless I use financing which I won't do for a vehicle. I don't need need a vechile since I live near amenities and work but I would like one to go on drives with, preferably one I like, instead of being driven towards due to lack of options.

With that being said, I've turned to a specific model and make that's in Japan. However, the car is old, about as old as I am, manufacture date being 1993-1995. My question, to which I would like a direct, non facetious answer if anyone knows or just ignore the post, is how do I go about importing this car? It is in good condition mechanically, cosmetically and standards wise, ie it is road worthy.

I realised one of the import laws that protects car dealers restrict importation of anything over 3 or 4 years old. Is there anyway to get around this nonsense, can I be put on to anyone that actually knows their sheit and not an old talker?

Would really like to know if it's remotely possible. Ive stacked some disposable income over thr last 3 years and would like to spend it on a car I can use as a daily driver while also having legroom for tuning with good gains. The car in question is a Nissan silvia s14.

Don't tell me about price/model/dealer or whever else. Again, would just like to know how do I go about brining in this car because the one I'm looking at is bone stock, which is how I want to buy any tuner. I have no network locally to find people or know people who have tuner cars STOCK. So I turned to Japan, only to realise the import law for vehicle age is crap. Anyone have any insight?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 28th, 2021, 2:04 pm

coyote wrote:Hello. I've taken an interest in jdm/tuners recently since the choices locally available for modern cars today are extremely lackluster and/or above my budget unless I use financing which I won't do for a vehicle. I don't need need a vechile since I live near amenities and work but I would like one to go on drives with, preferably one I like, instead of being driven towards due to lack of options.

With that being said, I've turned to a specific model and make that's in Japan. However, the car is old, about as old as I am, manufacture date being 1993-1995. My question, to which I would like a direct, non facetious answer if anyone knows or just ignore the post, is how do I go about importing this car? It is in good condition mechanically, cosmetically and standards wise, ie it is road worthy.

I realised one of the import laws that protects car dealers restrict importation of anything over 3 or 4 years old. Is there anyway to get around this nonsense, can I be put on to anyone that actually knows their sheit and not an old talker?

Would really like to know if it's remotely possible. Ive stacked some disposable income over thr last 3 years and would like to spend it on a car I can use as a daily driver while also having legroom for tuning with good gains. The car in question is a Nissan silvia s14.

Don't tell me about price/model/dealer or whever else. Again, would just like to know how do I go about brining in this car because the one I'm looking at is bone stock, which is how I want to buy any tuner. I have no network locally to find people or know people who have tuner cars STOCK. So I turned to Japan, only to realise the import law for vehicle age is crap. Anyone have any insight?
You can only import an older vehicle if it were previously purchased and currently titled in your name; and you are a returning national.

coyote
Riding on 13's

Postby coyote » February 28th, 2021, 3:34 pm

adnj wrote:
coyote wrote:Hello. I've taken an interest in jdm/tuners recently since the choices locally available for modern cars today are extremely lackluster and/or above my budget unless I use financing which I won't do for a vehicle. I don't need need a vechile since I live near amenities and work but I would like one to go on drives with, preferably one I like, instead of being driven towards due to lack of options.

You can only import an older vehicle if it were previously purchased and currently titled in your name; and you are a returning national.

Can the returning national transfer the car to you? Also do they have to provide proof of permanent residency in TT? And how long do they need to have ownership of the car they bought abroad before being eligible to import it?

No offence but the cars here locally either look like crap and are too effeminate to run as a daily driver or they're too expensive where one has to buy it through financing unless they're from a rich family that will help them foot the bill or save on insurance etc.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 28th, 2021, 5:57 pm

cars too effeminate yes, sounds like a midget man i meet once who say toyota is for woman

stay off the JDM Instagram pages and go outside

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm

coyote wrote:
adnj wrote:

Can the returning national transfer the car to you? Also do they have to provide proof of permanent residency in TT? And how long do they need to have ownership of the car they bought abroad before being eligible to import it?

No offence but the cars here locally either look like crap and are too effeminate to run as a daily driver or they're too expensive where one has to buy it through financing unless they're from a rich family that will help them foot the bill or save on insurance etc.
Continuous five years minimum overseas as dual citizen or spouse or with Minister's approval. Must provide proof of current permanent residence in TT. Two years minimum before vehicle transfer. Transfer taxes paid at the two year rate.

coyote
Riding on 13's

Postby coyote » March 2nd, 2021, 9:48 am

adnj wrote:
coyote wrote:
adnj wrote:

Continuous five years minimum overseas as dual citizen or spouse or with Minister's approval. Must provide proof of current permanent residence in TT. Two years minimum before vehicle transfer. Transfer taxes paid at the two year rate.

I see thanks for the relevant reply and help.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”