Forums

HAIRSTYLE ROW: Mom threatens legal action against school

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

HAIRSTYLE ROW: Mom threatens legal action against school

Postby MaxPower » September 27th, 2019, 9:47 am

De Dragon wrote:I have worked places where I was explicitly told that long hair/earrings/tattoos = no upward movement. Thankfully where I am presently is not so narrow minded and discriminatory.

This is basic professional dress code etiquette that you and many other WOFT Trinidadians will never understand. When challenged, there are strong annoying cries of racism and discrimination.

What is it? Wear what allyuh want and feel entitled to all jobs and promotions? Do you see doctors, lawyers, politicians, distinguished businessmen exposing tattoos and piercings?

Now you tell me you little reject, if long hair/earrings/tattoos are to be allowed at the work place....then what about hats, sneakers, excessive gold chains and teeth? Whats the difference? If you come to work looking like Sheron and they terminate you, is that being narrow minded?

The problem is people like you are too uneducated to differentiate between on and off duty periods. When to dress and how. Around Diwali/Eid, allyuh dressin up so nice and respective. But when it come to the job its like whatever. Take your jobs seriously.

Your job before seemed more professional, and clearly you have made a step down in your career. Then again, most minimum wage jobs dont really business.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: HAIRSTYLE ROW: Mom threatens legal action against school

Postby Dizzy28 » September 27th, 2019, 10:04 am

MaxPower wrote:
De Dragon wrote:I have worked places where I was explicitly told that long hair/earrings/tattoos = no upward movement. Thankfully where I am presently is not so narrow minded and discriminatory.

This is basic professional dress code etiquette that you and many other WOFT Trinidadians will never understand. When challenged, there are strong annoying cries of racism and discrimination.

What is it? Wear what allyuh want and feel entitled to all jobs and promotions? Do you see doctors, lawyers, politicians, distinguished businessmen exposing tattoos and piercings?

Now you tell me you little reject, if long hair/earrings/tattoos are to be allowed at the work place....then what about hats, sneakers, excessive gold chains and teeth? Whats the difference? If you come to work looking like Sheron and they terminate you, is that being narrow minded?

The problem is people like you are too uneducated to differentiate between on and off duty periods. When to dress and how. Around Diwali/Eid, allyuh dressin up so nice and respective. But when it come to the job its like whatever. Take your jobs seriously.

Your job before seemed more professional, and clearly you have made a step down in your career. Then again, most minimum wage jobs dont really business.

Pediatrician Dr Windsor Fredericks was the first thing that comes to mind when I read this

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 27th, 2019, 10:24 am

maxine powers probably goes by the firm for all her mechanical needs.
*so neat and nice and tidy. they blow smoke up my arse so very professionally*

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 27th, 2019, 2:14 pm

I is ah injun and I used to get reprimanded for having my hair longer than the norm, metalhead kinda vibes.But my hair was neat and combed.As much as I didnt like it, i had to abide by the institution's rules.2019, I working, and I still can't have my hair as long as I want, that's life. We are teaching this generation that they can get their way by being whiners and complainers, get enough of a social media following and your can have anything that you want.In my days you grew a pair and moved on with your life.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 27th, 2019, 5:18 pm

I got called into HR for having a completely shaven bald head.... Apparently some member of staff was scared of the look....
timelapse wrote:I is ah injun and I used to get reprimanded for having my hair longer than the norm, metalhead kinda vibes.But my hair was neat and combed.As much as I didnt like it, i had to abide by the institution's rules.2019, I working, and I still can't have my hair as long as I want, that's life. We are teaching this generation that they can get their way by being whiners and complainers, get enough of a social media following and your can have anything that you want.In my days you grew a pair and moved on with your life.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 27th, 2019, 9:54 pm

MaxPower wrote:

MaxCax, you need to get out a little more. Let mammy lend you ah twenty, and travel to somewhere where you could see how normal people operate nah man! You so dotish, and conditioned by your vast work experience as a tender of a KFC deep fryer, that your little pea brain cannot conceive of jobs where people don't give a fack about how you look, as long as at the end of the day you contributed your share, and more.
What's sad is that the highest position in your sorry little existence is branch supervisor, and you still have to dress like everyone else :lol: What prolly burning your sunken, man boobsy chest is that these people you're crying down, make loads more money than you :lol:

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 27th, 2019, 10:33 pm

De Dragon wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

MaxCax, you need to get out a little more. Let mammy lend you ah twenty, and travel to somewhere where you could see how normal people operate nah man! You so dotish, and conditioned by your vast work experience as a tender of a KFC deep fryer, that your little pea brain cannot conceive of jobs where people don't give a fack about how you look, as long as at the end of the day you contributed your share, and more.
What's sad is that the highest position in your sorry little existence is branch supervisor, and you still have to dress like everyone else :lol: What prolly burning your sunken, man boobsy chest is that these people you're crying down, make loads more money than you :lol:

DeFagon, You totally miss the point as I expected. Take my game changing advice and Invest in some books on work etiquette so you can progress in life, and pass it on to your children so they would not follow your steps of failure, ignorance and complacency. Its the reason why you are still working for someone. But sure, continue going to work in your panty and flip flops. Allyuh does look for jobs based on what you could wear rather than what you are required to do....priorities wrong side.

Guessing you never got that promotion eh?

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » September 27th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Gladiator wrote:I got called into HR for having a completely shaven bald head.... Apparently some member of staff was scared of the look....

Reminds me of an interview Ozzy did. He met with a musician some time after recommending he have some dignity by shaving his head instead of hiding the creeping baldness under hats, wigs and expensive treatments.

Guy said that people now approach him with fear in their eyes.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 28th, 2019, 2:13 am

MaxPower wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

DeFagon, You totally miss the point as I expected. Take my game changing advice and Invest in some books on work etiquette so you can progress in life, and pass it on to your children so they would not follow your steps of failure, ignorance and complacency. Its the reason why you are still working for someone. But sure, continue going to work in your panty and flip flops. Allyuh does look for jobs based on what you could wear rather than what you are required to do....priorities wrong side.

Guessing you never got that promotion eh?

Bloomers Boy, I don't need the advice of a fry cook who resides with his mom :wink: Again you're confusing looks with responsibility and management ability. Go pee and get in yuh bed nah loser. Yuh know yuh hadda be extra sharp tomorrow as Saturdays are high demand days for KFC, but yuh here arguing with yuh minimum wage job self.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 28th, 2019, 7:32 am

back in the day it was not the hairstyle that was offensive but the coconut oil :)

timelapse wrote:I is ah injun and I used to get reprimanded for having my hair longer than the norm, metalhead kinda vibes.But my hair was neat and combed.As much as I didnt like it, i had to abide by the institution's rules.2019, I working, and I still can't have my hair as long as I want, that's life. We are teaching this generation that they can get their way by being whiners and complainers, get enough of a social media following and your can have anything that you want.In my days you grew a pair and moved on with your life.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 28th, 2019, 10:37 am

De Dragon wrote:Bloomers Boy, I don't need the advice of a fry cook who resides with his mom :wink: Again you're confusing looks with responsibility and management ability. Go pee and get in yuh bed nah loser. Yuh know yuh hadda be extra sharp tomorrow as Saturdays are high demand days for KFC, but yuh here arguing with yuh minimum wage job self.

Responsibility and management ability?? Hahahah!!remember you’re just another dumb scornful Trinidadian so you know NOTHING of those words so stfu DeFagon.

By you challenging you previous employer on THEIR rules on dress code shows blatant insubordination which is why ur like a crapo jumping from job to job so you can wear your Jordans knockoffs to work.

“ i dunno why dem bennin for dress code and ent we doin d people work?? “ - stink trinidadian mentality.

When you decide to get off your lazy ass and work harder and educate yourself, only then can you make the rules. Until then, clock your card on time or they will fire yuh mc again.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 28th, 2019, 10:57 am

maj. tom wrote:Ah yes the legacy of the old British colonial system of proper school dress. After they stripped away African culture during slavery (so females lost their cultural knowledge of dress and hairstyles) they forced people to dress like their "superior" white civilization in schools and government offices. And brutally suppressed any other expression of culture at the young school ages by "discipline."

And this is part of their legacy, passed on to ignorant people who now have authority over children, but have never read a history book. I don't see anything wrong with the child's hair. I calling it a power trip based on ignorance and some sort of inferiority complex going on with the principal.

Well said

Was speaking with a school coach today balled headed indian fella, he seems to think this child is in the wrong for having this hairstyle according to him this is a "style" which means it is against school rules and if we allow her to get away with it then it will become a "popular style" and children will fail in school and turn out criminals because of this.

No idea what to make of his statement on this, to me he sounded dotish like that.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Ministry probes row over St Stephen’s schoolgirl’s hair
Stacy Moore

This St Stephen's College student's Bantu knots led her to be warned by school officials about her hairstyle. Her mother's complaint against the school is being investigated by the Education Ministry.

The mother of a 15-year-old St Stephen's College student, who had been warned about her natural hairstyles by the school, is grateful their complaint about discrimination is now being addressed.

On Thursday, an official from the Education Ministry contacted Leiselle Morton-Taylor who had reported her daughter was unfairly targeted by school officials for almost two years. A ministry report is to be prepared, and this comes after Minister in the Ministry Dr Lovell Francis said he did not see anything wrong with the schoolgirl's hairstyles.

“The journey has been long, but I did not give up. I have and will always encourage my children to follow the rules, my daughter has not broken any of the school rules as it relates to dress code. She is, and continues to be, an exemplary student,” Morton-Taylor told Newsday on Friday.

The mother of four also expressed heartfelt thanks to all those who have thrown her support behind her daughter – including Facebook’s global chief diversity officer, Trinidadian Maxine Williams.

The schoolgirl has been called to the principal’s office on numerous occasions because of her hairstyles which include Bantu knots, twists and cornrows.

“The response is so overwhelming and I just want to say, thank you so much. This means so much to my little girl. She has been reading the comments and she is so happy to know that there are people out there who are supporting her. We must teach our daughters to remain true to their identities. Thank you to everyone,” said Morton-Taylor.

In a Facebook post, Williams, an attorney, said she was saddened to read about the schoolgirl's struggles.

"From as long as I can remember, my hair has been an "issue" for others. However, at no time was it a factor that impacted my ability to learn and perform in any way,” she wrote.

Others have shared positive messages telling Morton-Taylor to be strong, and some women have even styled their hair in Bantu knots to show their support.

“In the end, I just hope the problem can be addressed and be put to an end. I am getting calls that it is not only happening at schools but at some workplaces, women are being discriminated for choosing to style their natural hair in a particular way. This has to stop. No girl should feel inferior because of how their hair is styled,” said Morton-Taylor.

Attorney Jason Jones, acting on her behalf, on Wednesday sent a pre-action protocol letter to principal Allison Sargeant, and copied the chairman of the Anglican education board and the office of the director of schools supervision. The letter requested putting an end to the adverse comments and disciplinary action against the student or face legal proceedings.

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/09/28/ministry-probes-row-over-st-stephens-schoolgirls-hair/

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » September 28th, 2019, 1:35 pm

All this beatup over that hairstyle?
That principal need something else to do yes.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 28th, 2019, 8:41 pm

principal need a man

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 28th, 2019, 10:00 pm

MaxPower wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Bloomers Boy, I don't need the advice of a fry cook who resides with his mom :wink: Again you're confusing looks with responsibility and management ability. Go pee and get in yuh bed nah loser. Yuh know yuh hadda be extra sharp tomorrow as Saturdays are high demand days for KFC, but yuh here arguing with yuh minimum wage job self.

Responsibility and management ability?? Hahahah!!remember you’re just another dumb scornful Trinidadian so you know NOTHING of those words so stfu DeFagon.

By you challenging you previous employer on THEIR rules on dress code shows blatant insubordination which is why ur like a crapo jumping from job to job so you can wear your [b]Jordans knockoffs [/b]to work.

“ i dunno why dem bennin for dress code and ent we doin d people work?? “ - stink trinidadian mentality.

When you decide to get off your lazy ass and work harder and educate yourself, only then can you make the rules. Until then, clock your card on time or they will fire yuh mc again.

Dummy MaxCax, you couldn't possibly understand how a modern workplace works, so just make sure that the original and spicy keep flowing and stay in yuh greasy arsed lane :wink:
BTW Lamearseovich, sneakers may be appropriate for you and the other deep fryers, but not where I work.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 30th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Hairstyle in keeping with your race is one thing but tattoo, gold chain etc. is a different story.
I don't think the girl's hairstyle is anything extreme that the school should be harassing her for.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 4th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Yuh know, if was a Maha Sabha school, allyuh was already calling for a public beheading of Sat Maharaj.That knot up hairstyle not even fit for working in KFC, like i suspected, wrong and strong entitled mentality

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm

They want jooostichhhh

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm

timelapse wrote:Yuh know, if was a Maha Sabha school, allyuh was already calling for a public beheading of Sat Maharaj.That knot up hairstyle not even fit for working in KFC, like i suspected, wrong and strong entitled mentality

tis better to remain silent and have people believe you a fool than to make utterances that remove all doubt of your idiocy.

glean from that what you may.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

timelapse wrote:Yuh know, if was a Maha Sabha school, allyuh was already calling for a public beheading of Sat Maharaj.That knot up hairstyle not even fit for working in KFC, like i suspected, wrong and strong entitled mentality

What exactly is wrong with the hairstyle?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 5th, 2019, 8:59 am

Museum of London. Sierra Leone's British governors were keen for the new arrivals to adopt British Christian culture.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 5th, 2019, 11:57 am

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 5th, 2019, 5:49 pm

De Dragon wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the hairstyle?

there is nothing wrong with the style. other than for safety, sanitation, or public practicality, do what the frack u want.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

It's neat. Nothing wrong or outlandish or rebellious about it.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 5th, 2019, 8:46 pm

You have to wonder.......why do afro trini parents drag their kids to Sunday church?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm

matr1x wrote:You have to wonder.......why do afro trini parents drag their kids to Sunday church?

A lot of parents, regardless of race, carry their kids to church/temple/mosque.
Not sure where you're going with this.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 5th, 2019, 9:54 pm

his point is that religion was a tool of the colonizer to keep the enslaved ones docile

"if you be a good obedient slave, your riches will await you in heaven"

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 6th, 2019, 9:45 am

And it still is... Religion is bondage.
ProtonPowder wrote:his point is that religion was a tool of the colonizer to keep the enslaved ones docile

"if you be a good obedient slave, your riches will await you in heaven"

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » October 6th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Discrimination and abuse rampant in education system; and taxpayers are funding it

Religious-based schools, controlled by private religious boards and often largely funded through taxpayers’ money, are particularly guilty of unconstitutional policies, while simultaneously projecting themselves as bastions of morality, respectability and progress. As much as these schools are widely perceived as ‘prestigious’, they have the worst record of racism, classism and religious biases. This is particularly problematic as these denominational schools are funded by taxpayers’ dollars, yet their policies have not been inclusive and receptive to all citizens.

It is, however, not just denominational schools that are guilty of biases, as government public schools are not immune. Social scientists such as Ramesh Deosaran, Nasser Mustapha and Ishmel Baksh have long provided empirical evidence of the deep social stratification and inequalities that are present in the education system. Ramesh Deosaran’s most recent book, Inequality, Crime & Education in Trinidad and Tobago: Removing the Masks, should be required reading for all teachers and administrators.

https://wired868.com/2019/10/05/salandy ... on-system/

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”