NP says there is no fuel strike, assures reliable fuel supply

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

NP says there is no fuel strike, assures reliable fuel supply

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 28th, 2019, 7:45 pm

There have been some posts on social
Media suggesting a shortage of fuel due to a shutdown or strike on Tuesday 29th oct 2019, but NP is assuring the public there will be a continuous and reliable supply of fuel to all service stations

602f8988-6b7e-482f-9905-153c1e63869e.jpg

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: NP says there is no fuel strike, assures reliable fuel supply

Postby sMASH » October 28th, 2019, 7:58 pm

shucks, i deleted the pics of the tankers lined up outside petrotrin.....

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » October 28th, 2019, 11:43 pm

NP laughing all the way to the bank. Any time there is a warning about a gas shortage, Trinis rush every gas station like it's "99% Off Gas Day". NP just issuing that so to reassure people to come rush the pumps, you won't leave empty handed.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » October 29th, 2019, 7:13 am

Actually I would think Np doesn't want this problem as it poses a problem on their supply chain when people panic buy.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 29th, 2019, 8:43 am

Panic buying?
So every fills up- and then continues driving as they were- it just means you bump sales on the panic day-and then see less than normal sales as people use what they bought.

NP cant sell the fuel if the dealers close-

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » October 29th, 2019, 8:43 am

Just now we will reach like Venezuela

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 29th, 2019, 9:53 am

it was on the news this morning. Saw some lazy lines at gas stations en route to work.
I had to fill up, because 1/4 tank - but other than that, nobody seems to be panic buying yet.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » October 29th, 2019, 10:41 am

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/shu ... s.facebook

While the National Petroleum Marketing Company (NP) has dispelled as 'rumours' claims of a fuel shutdown, some Unipet service stations across the country are without fuel.

Unipet's Chief Executive Office Dexter Riley told The Morning Brew that petroleum dealers across the market have been facing significant challenges over the past few years, which is affecting their ability to purchase gas to supply their customers.

Unipet subsequently issued a statement saying, "In an effort to reduce our operating costs, Unipet and some members of the Petroleum Dealers Association (PDA) cut back their operations today with gas stations scheduled to re-open on Wednesday 29th October at 6:00 am. This is in an attempt to trim operating costs which have been severely impinged by the Regulator not providing sustainable margins to the industry."

A sign at a Unipet service station in Santa Cruz.

The statement added: "Non-Unipet stations are able to approach the regulator to make up any shortfall in operating cost they may experience but as independent operators, there is no coverage for our shortfall and we are left with no option but to reduce our operations. We sincerely apologize to our customers but are left with no other options. The future viability of the liquid petroleum industry is in the hands of the regulator who has all the information with regard to the changes that are necessary to make the model sustainable."

Among the Unipet service stations affected today are Santa Cruz, Charlieville, Freeport, Cocorite, Chaguanas and Couva.

As a result, long lines have been forming at the NP service stations after NP assured yesterday that there would be no shutdown of its service stations.

“NP wish­es to ad­vise the pub­lic that our op­er­a­tions are run­ning as nor­mal and that we re­main stead­fast in our com­mit­ment to en­sure that a con­tin­u­ous and re­li­able sup­ply of fu­el is de­liv­ered across the coun­try,” the NP state­ment said.

Customers at an NP service station in Chaguanas.

It added: “In fact, as of to­day, 2019 Oc­to­ber 28, the plac­ing of or­ders for the pur­chase of all liq­uid fu­el prod­ucts con­tin­ued un­abat­ed, with de­liv­er­ies to ser­vice sta­tions tak­ing place to­day as sched­uled, and oth­ers be­ing sched­uled for to­mor­row, based on or­ders re­ceived from our deal­ers.”

The com­pa­ny in­sist­ed yes­ter­day that there was no need for con­sumers to pan­ic buy, say­ing this will on­ly serve to cause fu­el short­ages at the pump.

Meanwhile, the Trinidad & Tobago Petroleum Dealers’ Association (PDA) said today that it fully supports the call for margins to be regularized in the Liquid Fuel Petroleum Sector.

"Most of our members operate gas stations with Supply Agreements with the Trinidad & Tobago National Petroleum Marketing Company Limited (NPMC). Under these agreements, NPMC Dealers are not permitted to close the sites. While we fully understand and support UNIPET’s attempts to have regularized margins, we expect that all gas stations will be under considerable strain for the duration of this action and ask the motoring public to understand the constraints under which we try to make fuel available to the public," the PDA statement said.

It added: "Daily, the Petroleum Dealers are faced with the financial limitations of operating with unsustainable margins. Our expenses are greater than our income and while we are continuously taking measures to reduce expenditure, the model itself is unsustainable. The situation is that we can no longer pay for fuel on delivery, so we are forced to take fuel only when we have the funds to pay for it. It means that sometimes we will not be able to supply product to our customers. It also means that some sites will be forced to reduce their operating hours and staff compliments. Most NPMC Dealers earn around $2.50 for every $100.00 fuel sale by cash, and around $1.10 for every $100.00 sale by electronic cards. From this, they are expected to pay all their operating expenses."

The PDA said that the issue of unsustainable retail and wholesale fuel margins is a legacy issue spanning decades.

"Four years ago, UNIPET, together with the downstream industry and independent researchers commissioned a scientific study and provided the Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Trade with the report which recommended how a different model could be implemented to ensure sustainability of the industry. The Trinidad & Tobago Petroleum Dealers’ Association had made similar research available to the same parties over the past four (4) years. In 2017, the Minister of Finance granted a five cents increase in the margins while simultaneously increasing the price of fuel which led to an increase in the Business Levy and the Green Fund paid. The impact for UNIPET has been a severe impairment of their working capital and their ability to make timely payments for fuel from Paria Trading," it said.

The statement continued: "In addition, liftings done on weekends, after business hours and public holidays are associated with extremely high overtime cost charged by the terminal facility. Indeed, NPMC is faced with similar constraints. NPMC supplies fuel to 115 gas stations and operate a gantry / barge facility of their own. They must provide fuel to Tobago, the Airports and to the Ferries, together with their bunkering operations. In fact, to cope with their unsustainable margins, NPMC collects up to Five Cents out of the Dealers margins as rent, and even this is not enough for them to sustain their operations. It is a testament to the unsustainability of the current margins. The Chairman of NPMC recently admitted that NPMC supplies fuel to unprofitable and nonviable sites. It is instructive to note that NPMC does not actually operate any of their Sites, but contracts such operations to Petroleum Dealers, who provide the capital and manpower to do so."

The PDA claims that unlike other industries the petroleum industry is still rigidly controlled by the government.

"This means that we cannot increase margins, nor can we go to a cheaper source of supply. Despite continued representation to the relevant parties for a margin increase, there has been no response. We take seriously, our responsibility to the traveling public to provide safe and reliable gas and diesel but we simply cannot continue under the current pricing and tax structure. The simple solution to this problem is for the Regulator to implement adequate margins as recommended so that the industry can survive."
- Sampson Nanton

somehow this will be interpreted as "it have gyas shortage, allyuh run and full up allyuh tank".

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 29th, 2019, 11:10 am

Hema interview a man from NP this morning and he didn't want to answer any questions. However he did say that there would be "challenges" with fuel delivery this week.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 29th, 2019, 11:30 am

a measly 2.50 from 100 sale , dise rel piper profit , come like phone card margins

i remember hearing of ppl who in d gas business for yrs closed down due to low margins but then again i still seeing a couple new gas stations being built , maybe they will make do with d quickshop profits but still dat lil 2.5% from gas is dog $ ....

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 29th, 2019, 11:38 am

With the top line taxes-Green Fund and BL it then makes the margins near zero.

Its almost 10 years the PDA was asking for an increase in margins-or a rewording of the act to make it a % as opposed to x cents per liter.

The C stores are the only way that there are profits to be had.

New stations would have the automation and C Stores -but older stations would have to close

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 29th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Gas business hard, yet men does be fighting to get gas station licence and others does want to commit suicide when they lorse it.

Something eh adding up...:|

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » October 29th, 2019, 2:04 pm

hydroep wrote:Gas business hard, yet men does be fighting to get gas station licence and others does want to commit suicide when they lorse it.

Something eh adding up...:|

It real hard, imagine the current to operate the Cng pump exceeding the sales, not profit eh the sales

NP also controls the prices for the grocery items

The only thing the don’t control

Business levy
Corp tax
Green fund
Salaries
Electricity

So they control the revenue stream but not looking at the cost structure

wingnut
3NE 2NR for life

Postby wingnut » October 29th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Some unipet stations shutdown. Seems more of a strategy to force np into better terms, than them being in dire financial situation

https://www.facebook.com/126206357995/p ... 826277996/
Last edited by wingnut on October 29th, 2019, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 29th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Its not NP-its the govt.

Unipet s only competitor is state run NP....thereby Unipet competes with its supplier.

The problem is that as a regulated industry GORTT fixes the margin,controls quality and supply...and uses fuel as a political gimmick-suppressing price.
Last edited by Redman on October 29th, 2019, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » October 29th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Redman wrote:Its not NP-its the govt.

Unipet s only competitor is state run NP....thereby Unipet competes with its supplier.

Ohhh

Syberfraggle
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Syberfraggle » October 29th, 2019, 2:47 pm

So why de ass is only central unipet stations affected...steups

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » October 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm

About an hour ago i passed the NP on Piarco Boulevard.

It was packed with panic buying feebs which obstructed not 1...but 2 fuel tankers from entering.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 29th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Les Bain wrote:About an hour ago i passed the NP on Piarco Boulevard.

It was packed with panic buying feebs which obstructed not 1...but 2 fuel tankers from entering.

This is why we can't have nice things

rmlmv
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmlmv » October 29th, 2019, 5:33 pm

This was bad timing for me as I was supposed to refill diesel this morning at my usual unipet station, but got blanked. Managed to get thru the day and back home. Any recommendations on where I can try to get diesel tonight? I have a feeling the NP stations will run out tonight. I'm from Freeport. Thanks in advance.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 29th, 2019, 6:19 pm

So is only in north have big non Unipet stations?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 29th, 2019, 6:51 pm

rmlmv wrote:This was bad timing for me as I was supposed to refill diesel this morning at my usual unipet station, but got blanked. Managed to get thru the day and back home. Any recommendations on where I can try to get diesel tonight? I have a feeling the NP stations will run out tonight. I'm from Freeport. Thanks in advance.
All the Unipet stations are supposed to reopen tomorrow. Just go where is convenient

rmlmv
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmlmv » October 29th, 2019, 6:55 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
rmlmv wrote:This was bad timing for me as I was supposed to refill diesel this morning at my usual unipet station, but got blanked. Managed to get thru the day and back home. Any recommendations on where I can try to get diesel tonight? I have a feeling the NP stations will run out tonight. I'm from Freeport. Thanks in advance.
All the Unipet stations are supposed to reopen tomorrow. Just go where is convenient

Thanks. Hope they have the gas/diesel.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 29th, 2019, 8:11 pm

7:45 p.m.: NP Service Station/Convenience Store Cross Crossing: line backed up almost to the Rahamut's Station yes...:|

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » October 29th, 2019, 8:31 pm

They should, they did not sell any today
rmlmv wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 29th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I pull up by the one in Aranguez around seven tonight. real traffic blocking the entrance ,cars like that but nothing by the diesel pump. I just go in the exit and pull up by the pump. Diesel right away. Men in the line see me and pull out to do the same thing. So they couldn't figure out that all the time?

rmlmv
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmlmv » October 29th, 2019, 9:04 pm

rspann wrote:

I pull up by the one in Aranguez around seven tonight. real traffic blocking the entrance ,cars like that but nothing by the diesel pump. I just go in the exit and pull up by the pump. Diesel right away. Men in the line see me and pull out to do the same thing. So they couldn't figure out that all the time?

Hmm thanks.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 29th, 2019, 9:31 pm

rmlmv wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

The issue was not supply or distribution, but a Unipet protest over profit margins.
Actually, Unipets should have the most fuel tomorrow morning, if NP getting drained all now.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 29th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Well it look like they miscalculate the bluff
Seems they thought after a long weekend enough ppl would be on empty to cause most ppl to panic and grind things to a halt.
They prob need to close for 2-3 days to effect that

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 29th, 2019, 9:42 pm

pugboy wrote:Well it look like they miscalculate the bluff
Seems they thought after a long weekend enough ppl would be on empty to cause most ppl to panic and grind things to a halt.
They prob need to close for 2-3 days to effect that

Nah, seeing pics of long lines at NP stations, men bawling.
The action start around lunchtime. This morning was all clear for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”