TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK: Audio for home use

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

WTK: Audio for home use

Postby nareshseep » June 21st, 2009, 4:52 pm

I know this is a car site, but this is the only forum dedicated to audio , probably perhaps we need a HT thread.( for ht,hd tvs, projectors, and the like) I am looking to get some music for home , nothing to major but quality is of paramount importance, what do you guys recommend to build/buy (2.1 system).

I have currently a logi 5500, some may say sell that and buy an onkyo, that is a plan but not in the immediate future. For movies/game it is quite good. For music not so good.

I will be using my pc as the headunit, it has a audigy 2 card, I know it is old, but it gets the job done, eventually I will get that sonar dx2.

What amp/speakers/crossover/ will you all recommend?

User avatar
X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9397
Joined: April 27th, 2003, 5:54 pm
Location: St. Augustine
Contact:

Postby X_Factor » June 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

i think someone changed the sub in the logi and was impresed wit the gains he got
u could look into that scene..

User avatar
3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9621
Joined: July 12th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Location: killing two stones with one bird...
Contact:

Postby 3stagevtec » June 21st, 2009, 10:59 pm

http://www.focal-fr.com/

Focal has some nice home audio systems! definitely worth a look..

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 21st, 2009, 11:23 pm

^^ cool, is there an authorized distributor down here?

User avatar
SR
Chief Cook & Instigator
Posts: 13840
Joined: April 7th, 2003, 8:11 pm

Postby SR » June 21st, 2009, 11:28 pm


User avatar
3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9621
Joined: July 12th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Location: killing two stones with one bird...
Contact:

Postby 3stagevtec » June 21st, 2009, 11:39 pm

nareshseep wrote:^^ cool, is there an authorized distributor down here?


afaik, triple r deals with focal..

southside connections
punchin NOS
Posts: 2892
Joined: November 17th, 2006, 3:18 am

Postby southside connections » June 22nd, 2009, 10:11 am

why not build your own?

drivers are avalibe here to do it,amplifers and crossovers as well

all are reasonably priced

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 22nd, 2009, 2:10 pm

^^ what will you recommend .. new to the ht thing.

User avatar
Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1432
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 8:01 pm
Location: san juan
Contact:

Postby Soundstream_626 » June 22nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

try ur hand at a solid pair of towers and a sub ... the sub part is easy , the towers however arent so easy , here`s one idea

Image

http://www.parts-express.com/projectsho ... ct=Tritrix

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » June 22nd, 2009, 3:35 pm

firstly- get a proper HEad source, forget eh computer.
Get a powerful av receiver or dedicated amplifier.

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 22nd, 2009, 3:43 pm

pioneer wrote:RE subs would be recommended by many for HT use, for whatever strange reasons.


I dont like that herd mentality. I guess the reason that it is so popular is because of price and availabilty

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 22nd, 2009, 3:47 pm

evo-STI-k wrote:firstly- get a proper HEad source, forget eh computer.
Get a powerful av receiver or dedicated amplifier.


If you use optical out/ spdif out I would believe that the quality will be close to a good head source. For the dedicated amplifier, I am looking for a 4 channel, evostik what will you recommend?

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 22nd, 2009, 3:48 pm

Soundstream_626 wrote:try ur hand at a solid pair of towers and a sub ... the sub part is easy , the towers however arent so easy , here`s one idea

Image

http://www.parts-express.com/projectsho ... ct=Tritrix


Interesting, will take a look at this.

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 22nd, 2009, 3:50 pm

Anyone know of any good diy web sites for ht?

User avatar
Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 996
Joined: November 10th, 2004, 10:07 am

Postby Anton » June 22nd, 2009, 3:59 pm

http://www.hometheatershack.com/

Very good resource for HT DIYers

southside connections
punchin NOS
Posts: 2892
Joined: November 17th, 2006, 3:18 am

Postby southside connections » June 22nd, 2009, 5:45 pm

nareshseep,

check pm

User avatar
carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1050
Joined: November 5th, 2007, 9:02 pm
Location: Trinidad, Maracas
Contact:

Postby carfreak1024 » June 23rd, 2009, 12:02 am

right now i have my entire car audio system hook up to my computer and supreisingly it sounds really nice.

polk momo 6.5" (center)
polk momo 6x9 (fronts)
alpine type r 5.25" (rears)
jbl w10gti's (subs)
sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio notebook (sound card)
sony xm-1252 gtr (powering the rears)
technics 5.1 surround amp (powering subs, center, and front stage)
amp extremely underrated ( puttin out at least 400rms on the front channel @ 3 ohm, using it for the subs.


using the time correction on the sound card and everything sounds rell nice.

things in my rooms, cuz the car under some serious repairs and i didnt wanna leave the stuff in it as things tend to get lossed that way.

User avatar
SR
Chief Cook & Instigator
Posts: 13840
Joined: April 7th, 2003, 8:11 pm

Postby SR » June 23rd, 2009, 7:24 am

presently buildign a new system for one of the rooms in the house

DLS Ms6a components
Mono sub amp from parts express
DLS 12" sub

using car audio speakers as they will be able to handle harsher environments than the home audio stuff as the room is like a porch area as well

havent decided on the amp as yet
presently i have 2 channel sony integrated amp

total cost for the entire system should be under 10k


will post pics of this build up when we start

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » June 23rd, 2009, 9:14 am

SR wrote:presently buildign a new system for one of the rooms in the house

DLS Ms6a components
Mono sub amp from parts express
DLS 12" sub

using car audio speakers as they will be able to handle harsher environments than the home audio stuff as the room is like a porch area as well

havent decided on the amp as yet
presently i have 2 channel sony integrated amp

total cost for the entire system should be under 10k


will post pics of this build up when we start


there goes the quiet neighbourhood! :roll: :lol:

User avatar
- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 8156
Joined: January 21st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Location: Chaguanas ... Car Audio Solutions
Contact:

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » June 23rd, 2009, 9:25 am

y we trinis always putting house speakers in cars & vice versa .... :|

User avatar
3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9621
Joined: July 12th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Location: killing two stones with one bird...
Contact:

Postby 3stagevtec » June 23rd, 2009, 9:52 am

(...Rovin...) wrote:y we trinis always putting house speakers in cars & vice versa .... :|


:lol: :lol: we just creative..

User avatar
silent_riot
punchin NOS
Posts: 4495
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 11:40 pm
Location: Pumpitating
Contact:

Postby silent_riot » June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 am

If you're into building your own stuff, try DIY, its much cheaper and you'll learn a lot especially in enclosure building.

My current hi fi DIY project (small room):

Seas W15Ly001 Midranges
Peerless HDS Tweeters
Custom Passive Xover
Currently redoing those bookshelf enclosures
Marantz CD player
I have a Pioneer integrated amp, but looking into a little better integrated...hard to find the ones I'm interested in trinidad tho.
OAudio Bash 500W sub amp
Image Dynamics 12" sub SEALED...looking to upgrade to something else later on.
Just finishing up the aesthetics on that enclosure as well.

Also doing a DIY 5.1 project (for larger rooms) next month with some other stuff.

On the cheaper side of things, there are headphones..a great reference for personal listening except for visceral bass and lifelike sound stages.

I use the Grado SR60 daily at home...the best value I have ever come across in audio of any form.
A very cheap but good headphone is the Koss KSC75. Lots of bass from a compact headphone.
Also have a Sennheiser HD650 run off an Antique sound lab OTL tube headphone amp...The best midrange and highs I could ever hope for...but I don't use it. :oops:

Later on in the year, gonna start experimenting with high efficiency setups for larger rooms.

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 am

well, i prefer to stick to home theatre speakers for home theatre, they are usually a perfect match for a/v receivers, ie- both impedance and power............

User avatar
SR
Chief Cook & Instigator
Posts: 13840
Joined: April 7th, 2003, 8:11 pm

Postby SR » June 23rd, 2009, 1:09 pm

(...Rovin...) wrote:y we trinis always putting house speakers in cars & vice versa .... :|


cant comment on others

but for my setup the ms6a's came out of my own car whe i upgraded


DLS makes very good home speaker systems and the car audio line is designed around the developments made for the home audio

car audio speakers are usually designed to handle greater fluctuations in temperatures and humidty etc as opposed to home audio where these things are usually more stable

DLS MS6a car audio $1575 a pair
http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_70

Tweeter UP1C, 28 mm (1,1") silk dome tweeter
Woofer size 16,5 cm (6,5")
Power handling capacity 100 W RMS / 160 W max
Frequency range 45 - 20.000 Hz
Crossover point (Hz) 4500 Hz
Sensitivity 92 dB (1W/1m)

Outer diameter of woofer 165 mm (6,5")
Magnet size 100 mm (3,94")
Mounting depth 67 mm ( 2,64")
Crossover Filter box with 6/12 dB slope (LP/HP)
Size of filter box 145 x 85 x 45 mm ( 5,71 x 3,35 x 1,77")
Mounting hole 140 mm (5,5")
Impedance 4 ohm




DLS M60 home audio over 4k a pair

http://www.dls.se/en/home/prod.html?produkt=en_683
Description / type 2-way bass reflex
Finish / colour Black piano
Woofer size 6,5"
Impedance 4 ohm
Frequency range 48 Hz - 30 kHz (-3 dB)
Tweeter 28 mm soft dome tweeter
Sensitivity 88 dB/1m, 1W
Crossover point (Hz) 3600 Hz
Crossover 1st / 2nd order Bessel
Recommended amplifier 50 - 150 Watt

Weight 12,2 kg / 26,9 lbs
Dimension (W x D x H) 200 x 360 x 410 mm (7,9" x 14,2" x 16,1")


so i am sure i can achiev similar performance by building my own enclosures

User avatar
nareshseep
punchin NOS
Posts: 3330
Joined: June 29th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Location: down town

Postby nareshseep » June 23rd, 2009, 1:34 pm

silent_riot wrote:If you're into building your own stuff, try DIY, its much cheaper and you'll learn a lot especially in enclosure building.

My current hi fi DIY project (small room):

Seas W15Ly001 Midranges
Peerless HDS Tweeters
Custom Passive Xover
Currently redoing those bookshelf enclosures
Marantz CD player
I have a Pioneer integrated amp, but looking into a little better integrated...hard to find the ones I'm interested in trinidad tho.
OAudio Bash 500W sub amp
Image Dynamics 12" sub SEALED...looking to upgrade to something else later on.
Just finishing up the aesthetics on that enclosure as well.

Also doing a DIY 5.1 project (for larger rooms) next month with some other stuff.

On the cheaper side of things, there are headphones..a great reference for personal listening except for visceral bass and lifelike sound stages.

I use the Grado SR60 daily at home...the best value I have ever come across in audio of any form.
A very cheap but good headphone is the Koss KSC75. Lots of bass from a compact headphone.
Also have a Sennheiser HD650 run off an Antique sound lab OTL tube headphone amp...The best midrange and highs I could ever hope for...but I don't use it. :oops:

Later on in the year, gonna start experimenting with high efficiency setups for larger rooms.


Is it possible for me to get a demo of the system?

User avatar
DJ Q
punchin NOS
Posts: 3371
Joined: February 21st, 2007, 9:09 am
Location: Awesome

Postby DJ Q » June 23rd, 2009, 1:41 pm

(...Rovin...) wrote:y we trinis always putting house speakers in cars & vice versa .... :|


cheaper to get loud with car subs
cheaper to get loud with DJ mids

User avatar
silent_riot
punchin NOS
Posts: 4495
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 11:40 pm
Location: Pumpitating
Contact:

Postby silent_riot » June 23rd, 2009, 2:48 pm

nareshseep, the plan is after the build to demo it for the ice club at a test and tune event. However, the system was designed for small room listening, which may be hard to get...but I'm trying...

User avatar
- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 8156
Joined: January 21st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Location: Chaguanas ... Car Audio Solutions
Contact:

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » June 23rd, 2009, 3:22 pm

well i didnt mean u in particular SR, i meant some guys who dont have a clue of either car or house audio knowledge just throwing a bunch of mismatched, unplanned or unresearched items together to make up "a set" & just making a set of ole noise in d place .... :|

User avatar
crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10957
Joined: April 21st, 2003, 9:41 am

Postby crazybalhead » June 26th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I also have a HT sub built with a plate amp and a hollywood excursion sub. It's no extreme power, but it is clean and goes pretty low for a damn cheap set-up.

User avatar
ruffneck_12
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6859
Joined: May 4th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Location: I doh live no wey
Contact:

Postby ruffneck_12 » July 3rd, 2009, 10:58 pm

wa bout using fiber optics instead of normal RCAs, any change in quality?

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests