TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Re: New to Diesel...Purchased: Nissan Terrano Pathfinder

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kongorealm » April 10th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Hi All,

I recently purchased a '93 Nissan Terrano Pathfinder (D21 series). It has a TD27T engine with automatic transmission and 4x4 with an LSD differential. Any advice and/or suggestions on this model vehicle? Anyone has ever owned one or have knowledge about this vehicle?

As of now, I am doing a service i.e. changing oils & filters and whatever suspension parts that require changing.

My intentions:
1. I would like to raise the vehicle...who does this and whats an average cost? I have heard of lifting the body (which I understand is the cheapest way) and then there is suspension lift kit. I would like to raise the body about 3-4 inches. Any suggestions?

2. The vehicle currently has 15 inch rims with 265/70R15 tires Roadstone Brand. The tires will require changing in the near future (my estimate 3-4 months). What are some recommendations in terms of tires for on and off road? There is an All Terrain tire, what a good brand, how much should I expect to spend on tires? How long do tires usually last?

ACTUAL PICS (before I did anything; it's dirty too):

Hopefully I can join you guys on a offroad run in the future.

Thanks and Regards.
Last edited by Kongorealm on April 18th, 2013, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Re: New to Diesel...Purchased: Nissan Terrano Pathfinder

Postby sliderz1 » April 11th, 2013, 11:52 am

Congrats on your buy.
Those vehicles are similar to the Frontier platform so you should be safe wrt mechanical parts etc

as for that body lift, 4 inches may require some extensions and addtions to certain stock components.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 11th, 2013, 12:00 pm

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » April 11th, 2013, 2:56 pm

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but do some research before doing any modifications and find out how they will affect the vehicle.

A 2" - 3" body lift is normally recommended and is the cheapest way to gain body clearance. Beyond 3" of body lift is unnecessary and could lead to stress on wire harnesses / brake lines / hand brake cables / steering column etc etc.

Before buying tires, come on a few Side B runs and see what the other guys are running and how they perform. The taller tires work great off road, but they can increase fuel consumption and decrease vehicle acceleration / braking performance. For a daily driver, don't go beyond 1" taller than stock. If you plan to off road often, choose a Mud Terrain tire. If you use the vehicle daily but want to hit a few trails on occasion, get a good All Terrain.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 13th, 2013, 10:33 am

Aye look a next nissan brother!!

Congrats on your buy, and what an excellent project vehicle you've gotten!!

Let me show you why I'm so excited for you (partly cuz I wanted a terrano too!!)

You have an amazing platform to work with my friend, and one of the most versatile Nissans ever built when it comes to modifying.

As for body lift - it's def the easiest. Most trucks take a 2" lift without much modification besides - bumper brackets.
Suspension lifts are a bit more involved when it comes to installation, but like I said, you have a plethora of choices when it comes to kits (esp since it's so popular in the States - one of the reasons why I bought a Nissan myself).

PM droppa wrt liftting ur truck, and you can PM me or sliderz if you need any more infor on ur truck.

Congrats again, hope to see you on a Side B run - we have one coming end of this month down south, so join in! (a nice easy run, not much dangers, excellent for new guys to come on).

Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kongorealm » April 13th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the hearty welcome and the positive information. I'm loving the pics lighthammer.

Quick question: I don't know if its me but I find that the engine is louder than necessary. The tappits needed adjusted and were done but I find the engine is still loud. I believe I'm hearing the injector pump. Can the pump be making extra noise than standard?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 13th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Kongorealm wrote:Hi All,

I recently purchased a '93 Nissan Terrano Pathfinder (D21 series). It has a TD27T engine with automatic transmission and 4x4 with an LSD differential. Any advice and/or suggestions on this model vehicle? Anyone has ever owned one or have knowledge about this vehicle?

As of now, I am doing a service i.e. changing oils & filters and whatever suspension parts that require changing.

My intentions:
1. I would like to raise the vehicle...who does this and whats an average cost? I have heard of lifting the body (which I understand is the cheapest way) and then there is suspension lift kit. I would like to raise the body about 3-4 inches. Any suggestions?

2. The vehicle currently has 15 inch rims with 265/70R15 tires Roadstone Brand. The tires will require changing in the near future (my estimate 3-4 months). What are some recommendations in terms of tires for on and off road? There is an All Terrain tire, what a good brand, how much should I expect to spend on tires? How long do tires usually last?

This photo is the type of vehicle I have acquired (not actual photo):

Hopefully I can join you guys on a offroad run in the future.

Thanks and Regards.

So that the ride you been talking about.

I <3 those. Was either that or a frontier for me. :P

Sweeet ride man!

Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kongorealm » April 13th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Yea man nerve...that's the ride I want to put the basic music system; I got the van with two stock 6x9" in the rear area (the front door speakers are not functioning) with an old model pioneer deck and it shocks me how decent it sounds for cheap stock speakers. I'm assuming becuase of the little box type compartment the 6x9's are installed in.

I'm getting an underwash done today...loving the ride so far and the diesel is easy on the pocket. Its just minor things to rectify to bring it to my standard. I'm changing all the suspension parts that are bad or appears to be bad as my intention is to keep the vehicle for a long time.

The engine was changed by the previous owner with same modle TD27 turbo. It performs reasonably well although acceleration isn't all that when ac is on. I don't appreciate the job the engine installer did with the electrical installation ad the wiring is all over the place and messy. From what I have notiiced so far is everything functions with the exception of the speedometer and tachometer gauges. I will get that sorted out soon enough.

Anyone knows any parts place that have parts for these in stock? For example, inner and outer ends, cradle bushings and ball joints, shocks, etc. From what I understand its the same suspension parts as the 4x4 D21 Frontier.

All in all, a good buy and really do hope with some love and care it will treat me the same. I will upload some pictures soon.

Thanks for the information so far, looking forward to more.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 13th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Kongorealm wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the hearty welcome and the positive information. I'm loving the pics lighthammer.

Quick question: I don't know if its me but I find that the engine is louder than necessary. The tappits needed adjusted and were done but I find the engine is still loud. I believe I'm hearing the injector pump. Can the pump be making extra noise than standard?

TD's are kinda loud to start with. Once it isn't your pump 'clacking' or tappets 'knocking' then no worries.
Should hear em on a free flow :wink:

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 13th, 2013, 5:54 pm

btw...
Kongorealm wrote: From what I understand its the same suspension parts as the 4x4 D21 Frontier.

correct. and since the suspension parts and chassis are the same for the D21-D22 series, you get the idea.

these vehicles are global so enough info everywhere...
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 18&t=29601
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 18&t=30113

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » April 16th, 2013, 10:46 am

always was partial to a pathfinder

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 17th, 2013, 1:16 pm

real nice van you got here, post some actual pics nah, so we can see what you really working with, i remember pack in the 98-99 timing a padna had a crisp TD27tdi pathfinder, was a real nice machine, power like wow, those days the electronic ride control was a big hit..........

Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kongorealm » April 18th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Update: Added Actual Pictures of vehicle...now you can see why I want to raise it :lol:

Havoc
Sweet on this forum

Postby Havoc » April 18th, 2013, 9:18 pm

looking gd man! *thumbs up*

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 19th, 2013, 8:38 am

Looks good man, pathys are always on the low side of the 4x4 chain, but no worries, do your research and in time you will have it in order.......

trailmaker
Street 2NR

Postby trailmaker » April 19th, 2013, 10:50 am

Looks good. Want to see when u are finished I am certain it will turn heads

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”